New Member - New Ebike Owner (Almost) - Advice?

Roybut

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 11, 2016
Hi all,

I'm about to become the owner on a new ebike. I've never had one before. I'll be using it on a mostly flat 20 mile round commute. What sort of things should I be worried about? I've been told to be careful of letting the computer get cold overnight as it could fog and eventually ruin it (and the bike would stop working). Are there any sheaths for this? What about the bike getting wet? (puddles, heavy rain, etc). I'm sure I'll have other questions but can't think of them yet.

Thanks,

Roy

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should be careful where you keep your bike, at home and at work. Rain water is the traditional enemy of electronics and wiring, so you need to cover your bike is you don't have a bike shed. You also need a good pump with pressure gauge.

Roybut

Mar 11, 2016
Thanks for the reply, Trex. I do have a garden shed and it is very well designed so no water should get in. I'll be keeping the bike indoors at work, too. What do you think about the suggestion to cover the computer to stop it getting too cold? Also, what is the deal with the pressure gauge on the pump?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Biggest cause of punctures is poorly inflated tires. So a good pump includes a pressure gauge.

Reactions: RobF

Roybut

Mar 11, 2016
Simple as that. I imagined there was something I was missing :). Does anyone who leaves there bike in a shed cover the computer? Anyone had problems if not doing that?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Covering the 'computer' - display - will have no impact on its temperature when stored overnight.

Assuming you are in the UK, condensation is your enemy, not low temperatures.

A cover will promote condensation, so is a bad idea.

The bike needs to be kept dry - your shed's roof should take care of that - and in a well-ventilated environment.

Your shed may well be ventilated, most are, but you could think of adding some ventilation if you built it close to air tight.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Roybut

Mar 11, 2016
Thanks Rob. The shed is very well constructed. It's not exactly airtight but as close to it as any shed I've ever seen so I think I'll drill a couple of holes in it for ventilation.