Need advice on selected models

newbember

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2024
Cycle2work scheme with budget up to 3000. Im 45yo 182cm/80kg. Want to get ebike with mid-drive motor, that looks like a bike and with weight below 20kg. Riding just for fun 10-30 miles a day and will glad to do more.
Before I start search ideally it was crosscountry hardtail and then I`ve found that most of them much higher than 3k. So current list is:
Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0
Boardman HYB 8.9E
and just today found that prices goes down for Orbea Urrun 40.
Its my first ebike so any advices/recommendations highly appreciated.

Complete list from what I try to choose is here

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
forget the shitmano motors they are unfixable junk

Reactions: newbember

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you have money to spend, get whatever you want, but if you want to use the Cyclescheme because you need a loan, get a much cheaper bike with low upkeep costs and stay out of debt.

You didn't give any details of why you want an ebike, nor anything about yourself, not what sort of riding you want to do, so it's impossible to give you suitable advice about which bike to get., but here's a bit of general advice: when you have a motor, most of the reasons why you need an expensive or lightweight bike fly out the window.

newbember

Mar 29, 2024
If you have money to spend, get whatever you want, but if you want to use the Cyclescheme because you need a loan, get a much cheaper bike with low upkeep costs and stay out of debt.
As far as I understand this scheme I just trying to get bike with ~40% discount, as I can see for 3k bike I will pay totally 1740, good deal looks for me.

You didn't give any details of why you want an ebike, nor anything about yourself, not what sort of riding you want to do, so it's impossible to give you suitable advice about which bike to get., but here's a bit of general advice: when you have a motor, most of the reasons why you need an expensive or lightweight bike fly out the window.
I`m playing Ingress (geo positioning game, Pokemons predcessor) so need cycle lot in different locations, streets, roads, Thames banks, forests.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Cycle2work scheme with budget up to 3000. Im 45yo 182cm/80kg. Want to get ebike with mid-drive motor, that looks like a bike and with weight below 20kg. Riding just for fun 10-30 miles a day and will glad to do more.
Before I start search ideally it was crosscountry hardtail and then I`ve found that most of them much higher than 3k. So current list is:
Boardman HYB 8.9E

Just one observation, since I got into e-biking, and enjoying it very much, I am doing a lot longer rides over more hilly terrain than I would have estimated beforehand, I'm glad of a big battery.

I don't really know much about the typical Shimano, Yamaha and Bosch mid drive bikes that you get in bike shops and I'm sure you'll really enjoy one, but I think you are a bit tied into the bike shop for repairs and servicing.

Have you considered converting a normal bike to electric with a kit ?

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Boardman HYB 8.9E

Of the bikes you've picked, theres no love for Shimano. They dont seem to be the Shimano of yesteryear and these days their stuff is quite poor, and TBH its kind of hit and miss as to whether it comes with built in problems or not.

Specialized, which a well known and loved brand of non mtb's, there isnt much interest in them or their chosen system, at least as far as i can see(on other ebike forums) So I'd maybe avoid them too.

Fazua, on the Boardman i've little experience in, but they do seem to be rated pretty well, so if it was down to motor on the 3 you've picked, i'd probably go for that one. However, if Bosch was included, that would be my choice for sure, over anything.
The review however here - https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8-9e-review doesnt really paint it in a user friendly light, and seems Boardman have chosen some weird features that to me seems pointless and not user friendly in the slightest.

Next point is why does it have to be 20kg or under ? OK probably glean a little more range, and be easier to stick it on a roof rack, but is your riding style something that has you horsing down the road nipping in and out of traffic, or just looking to plod along happy to take in the day ?
For comparison, I've a Emtb which weighs 23kg, and is a full suspension enduro bike, capable of pretty much anything, and thats only 3kg heavier. I hit a big pot hole I'll hardly notice it, one of the rigid of the ones you picked hit the same thing and you'll be lucky to stay upright. Lightweight fully rigid is stiff and responsive, but its a hell of a harsh ride, and even on smoothish offroad pathways you're going to find the ride jarring at best.

I'd maybe look at something like a front suspension hardtail, and with a good quality suspension seatpost. This should give you the best of all worlds. good for urban adventures, able to negotiate pot hole strewn roads and streets of tory Britain, and also comfortable should your adventures be a little more extreme, or on unpaved canal pathways or tracks.

There are stores available online that hold previous years models, sometimes at pretty well discounted prices. Paul's Cycles is a good spot to buy. They've been going since time began

Some examples that are under £3k, and Pauls do cycle to work schemes

Reactions: newbember

newbember

Mar 29, 2024
Some examples that are under £3k, and Pauls do cycle to work schemes
<skipped>
Well maybe I`m kinda old fashion, but at my link in the topic start, bikes looks like a bikes, and all your model suggested - frames make me cry, its just ugly for me.
I`m appreciate your opinion and thank you for your thoughts. Second vote against Shimano motors - definitely they are strike out of my list.

Have you considered converting a normal bike to electric with a kit ?
Unfortunately I have no enough time and don`t have yet proper workshop/garage to play with it. Maybe in 2-3 years I will think about it, coz I have good friends in China and enough experience in finding proper quality goods there.

List updated.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you want a dongle to remove the speed limit cos you will look a bit of a tard going 15mph on a drop bar bike.

also take a close look at the front chain rings as most bikes these days mean you cant go much bigger at the front.

i have a 52t on mine :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the forks and wheels will have to go in to the bin but you get more bang for the bucks with cube.

and i race the road bikes every day not 1 has managed to pass me in 10 years ;)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

the forks and wheels will have to go in to the bin but you get more bang for the bucks with cube.

and i race the road bikes every day not 1 has managed to pass me in 10 years ;)
Hardly a boast. De-restricted ebike against a non ebike is just a daft comparison.
Road bike against you on a road bike and they'd leave you for dust.

Correct on that, though depends on the wheels. not all are cup and cone, some have cartridge bearings like the MT-400/410, but at the £3k mark im not sure those will be specced.
Fork is a poorly functioning 6lb lump of tat. Your 38 factory is probably nearly 2lbs less than that.
I just dont know why they spec such shite forks.
Brakes are basic, fine for slow pottering about the canal paths, but any offroad adventures they're quickly going to be overwhelmed.

They dont offer you much for 3k these days :(

But if the op wants a bike that looks like a bike.

Of course the big problem with ebikes that look like non ebikes is the battery tends to be a lot smaller, which limits the range. Usually find its a 250wh battery which is not a lot really, especially given how manufacturers calculate range ie flat ultra smooth roads with not a breath of wind and a rider who weighs 6 stone. Add a hill or two and a bit of headwind and that drops significantly.

I suppose out of the 3, the boardmans the only one which is a goer. And i see its on special offer in helfrauds.
£2159.10

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Az.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Converting a bike with a good kit is no more harder than changing a tyre and bolting on a new bottle cage with a bit extra cable management. (its a morning/ afternoon job ) The downside is the diy look, the upside is :
1) getting the best motor/battery etc combo for your needs
2) Significantly cheaper citca +£500 on the cost of a donor bike.
3) zero maintenance fix problems, develop a problem replace a generic element. no need to wait moths for specific parts if they can be sourced.,.
4) no proprietary tech to stop upgrades/fixes or time out with warranty ending

And regarding the diy look of a conversion (mine is a great example of this..) Some folk have gone the extra mile and built 'stealth' conversions with batteries concealed in bags or carried with a quick disconnect in a rucksack etc..

Considering the prices of vgvfm 2nd use bikes on ebay etc, a top notch cycle only a few years old could be sourced and converted for well under £1000.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Converting a bike with a good kit is no more harder than changing a tyre and bolting on a new bottle cage with a bit extra cable management. (its a morning/ afternoon job ) The downside is the diy look, the upside is :
1) getting the best motor/battery etc combo for your needs
2) Significantly cheaper citca +£500 on the cost of a donor bike.
3) zero maintenance fix problems, develop a problem replace a generic element. no need to wait moths for specific parts if they can be sourced.,.
4) no proprietary tech to stop upgrades/fixes or time out with warranty ending

And regarding the diy look of a conversion (mine is a great example of this..) Some folk have gone the extra mile and built 'stealth' conversions with batteries concealed in bags or carried with a quick disconnect in a rucksack etc..

Considering the prices of vgvfm 2nd use bikes on ebay etc, a top notch cycle only a few years old could be sourced and converted for well under £1000.
And less stealable !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hardly a boast. De-restricted ebike against a non ebike is just a daft comparison.
Road bike against you on a road bike and they'd leave you for dust.

Correct on that, though depends on the wheels. not all are cup and cone, some have cartridge bearings like the MT-400/410, but at the £3k mark im not sure those will be specced.
Fork is a poorly functioning 6lb lump of tat. Your 38 factory is probably nearly 2lbs less than that.
I just dont know why they spec such shite forks.
Brakes are basic, fine for slow pottering about the canal paths, but any offroad adventures they're quickly going to be overwhelmed.

They dont offer you much for 3k these days :(

But if the op wants a bike that looks like a bike.

Of course the big problem with ebikes that look like non ebikes is the battery tends to be a lot smaller, which limits the range. Usually find its a 250wh battery which is not a lot really, especially given how manufacturers calculate range ie flat ultra smooth roads with not a breath of wind and a rider who weighs 6 stone. Add a hill or two and a bit of headwind and that drops significantly.

I suppose out of the 3, the boardmans the only one which is a goer. And i see its on special offer in helfrauds.
£2159.10
no i leave them for dust as i can hit near 40mph on the flat

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
no i leave them for dust as i can hit near 40mph on the flat

This guy was not wearing lycra. This guy was not on a road bike. Are you even sure this guy was on an e-bike? Title ways Haibike vs Hub Motor and this guy is just on an ordinary non electric bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my action cam is long dead and that was my old performance motor but got a new dongle in the post so can get past 40mph but that takes 120rpm and 300w from my legs :p

20240413_181636[1].jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
17.19 rbw detected :eek:

thats how fast i can catch them and im even faster now and have clips

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i smoke weed and get pissed so not in to that lol tho i could go grab the bbshd i cant catch that :oops:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
17.19 rbw detected :eek:

thats how fast i can catch them and im even faster now and have clips
I wouldn't want to go that fast over the flats - I can't get to the roofs and my folding bike would snap... but hill climbing is even better now that I've increased the cadence sensored BBS01B controller's amperage limit on my 20" wheeled Dahon Helios folding bike from 15A to 18A. It's an even stronger heavy bicycle trailer hill hauler now. I'm pedalling as hard as I can, built up speed after the 25kph cutoff before I got to this hill, average cadence is 126. Gets steeper. The only reason I slowed down to 21kph at the end, was after I'd geared down before stopping, to answer a phone call. For easy hill climbs, cadence sensored is the way forward.

Tempted to increase controller amperage limit to it's max of 20A - I could switch off the 2A(?) lights I've soldered to the battery for rare circumstances which require more power, without risking the 22A BMS.

Last edited: