Mystery creak solved :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Out on the bike yesterday, there was a most annoying creak coming what I thought was the headset area.
So on returning, I tightened the headset a fraction and put the bike away for the day.

Out today, the creak was still there :mad:
The creak would materialize every now and again whilst riding, and I could replicate it while rocking the handlebars forward and backwards. It sure did sound like it was coming from the headset area.

On returning to base, as luck would have it, I picked the bike up by the seat to place it in my workstand, and lo and behold the friggin seat made the sound.

Turned out to be a slightly loose seat clamp, which was making the creak whilst my bum was moving back and forth on it. This was then transmitting the creak along the top tube to the headset area.

Electric bikes... It's a funny old game :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've had the same at times, pressed steel seat clamps are rather rubbishy items, often barely adequate for the job.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got a similar creak coming from my Tourer which I thought was from the front. I'll check the saddle next time I'm out. Thanks :)

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I occasionally get an annoying creak which I'm sure comes from the headset area. When it happens, if I press down on either side of the handlebars the creaking stops - maybe I'm just adjusting my weight on the saddle. I'll check it out. Thanks for the pointer.

Jim

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I occasionally get an annoying creak which I'm sure comes from the headset area.

Jim
The other creak source I had a job to solve was the junction of new handlebars with the central clamp. Even when very tight the bars were able to very minutely tilt in the clamp, causing the alloy interface creak.

Reactions: Fordulike

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Out on the bike yesterday, there was a most annoying creak coming what I thought was the headset area.
So on returning, I tightened the headset a fraction and put the bike away for the day.

Out today, the creak was still there :mad:
The creak would materialize every now and again whilst riding, and I could replicate it while rocking the handlebars forward and backwards. It sure did sound like it was coming from the headset area.

On returning to base, as luck would have it, I picked the bike up by the seat to place it in my workstand, and lo and behold the friggin seat made the sound.

Turned out to be a slightly loose seat clamp, which was making the creak whilst my bum was moving back and forth on it. This was then transmitting the creak along the top tube to the headset area.

Electric bikes... It's a funny old game :p
It is a really funny old game because I was experiencing the same thing for a couple of days until I heard enough. When you mentioned the saddle I had to laugh to myself because my creaking noise was coming from a loose screw under my seat, so I decided to tighten all seven screws plus for extra comfort.

MS.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Been there, done that... :)

The easiest way to check if the creak is coming from the saddle is to stand up on the pedals while riding and then pull on the handlebars.

Once my 95kg was out of contact with the saddle, the creaking stopped for me too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Fordulike, could you change your user name to Johna!

A creak started on my bike during today's off road ride, and I blame you! :p

Thankfully it didn't actually take much to track it down, as I suspected that maybe a motor mount had slightly loosened. I didn't have to get that far though, as the culprit was a pedal crank bolt that had slightly loosened off.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

Thankfully it didn't actually take much to track it down, as I suspected that maybe a motor mount had slightly loosened. I didn't have to get that far though, as the culprit was a pedal crank bolt that had slightly loosened off.
See, these noises come from totally different places to where you think they are.
Makes locating the source a royal PITA :(

Reactions: EddiePJ

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I had a creak on mine a while back which I thought was the cranks so stripped,greased ,and refitted them but still there.
Turned out to be the Suntour seat post so I removed the pins and greased them and alls quiet again.
My Dillenger 1kw front wheel kit developed a creak as well and that turned out to be a pair of loose spokes.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Aaaahaa... A bolt coming loose on your KTM. Who would have thought it.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Time to get yourself some new gear? Found KTM gear on a shopping app called geek. Screenshot_2015-12-14-09-06-20.png

Last edited: