Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
I bought a pair of Elite toe clips from your Bangor (N.Wales) store yesterday,
while I think they will serve the purpose for which I bought them for, I
cannot fit them because the rectangular holes that are moulded into the clip
are larger than the outside diameter of the cap screw which attaches the
clip to the pedal! *
There are no washers provided in the kit to make up this difference, anyone
buying this kit would have spent £6.99 for nothing, I know what to do to get
round this problem, but I shouldn't have to!
The provision of four washers would cost a penny, or less!!
A 5 year old could have told you what was wrong with this kit, I presume you
don't examine the stuff you stock!

D J Grimmitt - Llanberis

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Reply from Halfords

Thank you for your e-mail. *In order for us to allow time to investigate your concern, our normal response time is between 5-7 working days.

We value your custom and appreciate your patience during this time.

Kind Regards

Halfords Customer Services

The original e-mail was sent directly to Halfords, as I said a 5 year old child, or 2 years, could have spotted what was wrong.

Last edited:

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Perhaps a five year old, but perhaps not an automated messaging system!

Django

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
clip to the pedal! *

D J Grimmitt - Llanberis
Hi Derrick,

sorry to hear you are missing this vital element, to be fair to Halfords, i have recently bought a couple of pairs of this very same mini-clip and the packages normally contain a pair of oblong square washers with moveable bolt slots cut into them, they slide into the cut-out groove underneath the front, you'll see this slot if you turn them upside down,

sounds like your pair weren't packed.

commiserations,
beeps

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
To beeps

Hello beeps,
You have mistaken the wording of the e-mail I sent to Halfords.
I did get the rectangular strips with the slots in them, they go on the inside of the pedal & make a hard surface for the nuts, but I referred to the moulded rectangular holes in the pedal clip.
If you fitted yours, how did you manage it?

Derrick - Llanberis

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester
clip to the pedal! *

D J Grimmitt - Llanberis
Derrick,

What did the people in the store say when you went back to them?

David.

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Reply to DBCohen

Hello David,
I haven't taken them back yet, but I will have to because I cannot fit them to the pedals on my Lafree Twist (they are resin moulded pedals) even if the Elite mini-clips kit was complete I could not attatch them to the pedals, I have to buy new pedals.
Halfords is an hour & half bus journey for me from where I live, I will take the clips back when I choose my new pedals.
See the attatchment, the screw head dia. is less than the rectangular moulded holes!

Derrick - Llanberis

Attachments

Last edited:

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Mini clip troubles

Hello beeps,
You have mistaken the wording of the e-mail I sent to Halfords.
I did get the rectangular strips with the slots in them, they go on the inside of the pedal & make a hard surface for the nuts, but I referred to the moulded rectangular holes in the pedal clip.
If you fitted yours, how did you manage it?

Derrick - Llanberis
Hi Derrick,
cute little diagram....but i don't see the long washer ?

i fitted mine with the long washer in the slot, it has a keyway halfway down one edge, it will only go in the one way, but i did add a couple of those non-slip circular washers between the nut & pedal, and i did use allen keyed bolts which came with washers and these added support to the long washer,

i'm delighted with them, they are strong enough to stand on tip-toe, can't think of the ballet expression just now, useful for stretching the legs all the way out, whilst still in the saddle, so to speak

if you pm me, i'll send you a photo,

best,
beeps

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you Flecc, now i just have to get the oil stains off these silk shoes.

beeps
Puts me in mind of the conclusion of my article in A to B on the matching silver trailer I made for my Lafree, and the editors comment, reproduced below:

Total cost of the trailer was £ 120- completely out of proportion to the interest attracted by its co-ordinated appearance. I've ruled out a matching silver lurex leotard though! (Shame. Eds)

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Oops

I have just realised where the slotted metal strips go!
The last pair of toe clips I bought (15 years ago) were the pressed metal type, coated in plastic (PVC?) these Elite mini-clips are the first moulded ones I have ever purchased, & that is my excuse!
But the drawing on the back of the kit doesn't explain where they go & I assumed they went on the inside of the pedal to allow the nuts to seat against.
That's my defence, I suppose I owe an apology to Halfords.

Derrick - Llanberis

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry Derrick. They probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway and might mail you one of these: :D

"Thank you for your e-mail. *In order for us to allow time to investigate your concern, our normal response time is between 5-7 working days."

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
More advice needed

The pedals that come with the Lafree Twist are Wellgo moulded resin type, they are unsuited for any sort of toe clip (you would have to drill holes through the resin) can anyone tell me which pedals I should consider buying (not to expensive please) for a very ordinary cyclist.

Derrick - Llanberis

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Derrick

I too have a Twist and had the same problem. After 'distroying' some moulded alledgedly hard plastic ones I have bought these (link) and put on mini-clips and they are working well. Note the 2 screw holes on the far side which fits the clips. I think many pedals have this and would therefore be suitable.

Hope this helps.

John

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
slotted....

I have just realised where the slotted metal strips go!
The last pair of toe clips I bought (15 years ago) were the pressed metal type, coated in plastic (PVC?) these Elite mini-clips are the first moulded ones I have ever purchased, & that is my excuse!
But the drawing on the back of the kit doesn't explain where they go & I assumed they went on the inside of the pedal to allow the nuts to seat against.
That's my defence, I suppose I owe an apology to Halfords.

Derrick - Llanberis
Well done Derrick,

the only problem i had with the Elite Eclipse miniclip was the width of the cage, i have broad feet and found the sole of my waterproof shoes would not quite allow me to insert my toe fully into the clip, five minutes with a heat gun solved that.

best,
beeps

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
One should look ones best...

Puts me in mind of the conclusion of my article in A to B on the matching silver trailer I made for my Lafree, and the editors comment, reproduced below:

Total cost of the trailer was £ 120- completely out of proportion to the interest attracted by its co-ordinated appearance. I've ruled out a matching silver lurex leotard though! (Shame. Eds)
trying to match my yellow Pelican, its' made of the same plastic used for roadside salt hoppers, would be 'bright banana Pajamas' one might well resemble a large canary, ...tho' i'm thinking of gold lamee, for my autumn collection.

beeps