Looking for a bike!

Mich

Just Joined
May 19, 2016
Derbys
Hi, am looking to get a bike but am baffled by all the technical stuff! I need something lightweight as need to go up a lot of steep hills and need a range of maybe 10 miles? Am not used to biking but have to give it a go . Thanks for any advice

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
They don't need to be light to go up hills.

More information is needed to give a recommendation, budget, your height, style of bike you prefer?

Reactions: LeighPing

Mich

Just Joined
May 19, 2016
Derbys

More information is needed to give a recommendation, budget, your height, style of bike you prefer?

Thanks, I am 5 ft 6 and think I prefer a step through? Budget wise, not really sure I know they are expensive but I thought up to 700? Thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
step through and lightweight are quite difficult to achieve, plus your budget is only enough for the cheapest e-bikes in the shops.
The nearest to your requirements that I can suggest is the Woosh Santana at £779

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Ok thanks. Maybe need to up my budget then? When I said I needed it to be light, it was if it ran out of charge and I had to push it?!!
The trick with an ebike is to never run out of battery power, you can still pedal one, but they're all hard work up any hill without motor power.

Where in Derbyshire are you? Juicy bikes would be a good place to try some bikes.

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/

Oh and yes if you can up the budget.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi, am looking to get a bike but am baffled by all the technical stuff! I need something lightweight as need to go up a lot of steep hills and need a range of maybe 10 miles? Am not used to biking but have to give it a go . Thanks for any advice
Hi Mich, welcome to the community.

All these are within your budget and should be able to provide a 10 mile range:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sports-leisure/electric-bikes/cat3375188.cat?catId=4294889899&sc_cmp=tp1_ppc_g_+tesco +electric +bike_b&sc_cmp=ppc*sl*mb*bt*px_-_tesco_brand_-_recreation*+tesco +electric +bike&gclid=CPfa7u3-5cwCFVQ_GwodCI8IcA&gclsrc=aw.ds

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Nice to see a bike with more than one chainring on the front, I have a feeling that frame style is going to be become popular.
Agreed, athough I can't see the need for front derailleur on e-bikes but there is no harm in having them.

that Oxygen is a cracking bike. Top mark for style and power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I said I needed it to be light, it was if it ran out of charge and I had to push it?!!
With only a need for a 10 mile range you'll never need to run out of charge on current e-bikes. Most will easily give double or more distance on a charge, even in a hilly area.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
athough I can't see the need for front derailleur on e-bikes but there is no harm in having them.

that Oxygen is a cracking bike. Top mark for style and power.
I agree, unless you live somewhere hilly like here and like to pedal on the downhill bits.

It does look very smart, and my money would probably go there as opposed to a cheaper bike that may need a few upgrades to make it suitable for me.

Can't you get rid of those uncomfortable fat saddles as a start?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Can't you get rid of those uncomfortable fat saddles as a start?
Woosh will fit different saddle on request, usually at no extra charge, but because most of their customers are over 60s, comfy saddle is what suits them most.
Only two bikes sell to a younger audience: the Karoo and the Gallego. I am sure the Gtech adverts will bring the average age down.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I think Kudos Dave needs to spend some money on the website, I felt a bit embarrassed for recommending Kudos after visiting the website.

Where are the new bikes we've seen on the forum? why are the sold out models still there?
Certainly in desperate need of an update.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Hi Mich, I have a Juicy Bike which is a step through. Juicy are in Derbyshire so must be near you and Bob who owns the place is extremely helpful. Artsu has already mentioned them on thread 7 and the link to the step through is here:
https://www.juicybike.co.uk/electric-bikes/classic-click-dutch-style-electric-bicycle.
The bike is £985 and the standard battery will easily suit your requirements. I can recommend it, fun to ride, looks good, solid build and great after sales service. Bob will be happy to let you have a test ride and there are plenty of steep hills near the shop. I live in a village north of Bolton in Lancashire and amongst the foothills of the Pennines, so plenty of big hills on the doorstep, all of which have been successfully climbed by my "Lucy".
Whatever you decide to buy I'm sure that you are going to find it a revelation to be riding an e-bike!

Reactions: JuicyBike

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I second the suggestion that you visit Juicy Bikes. We have had their Classics for about 6 years, during which time the have proved durable and reliable. I cannot emphasize too strongly the importance of riding/testing/talking to the seller - Bob Wales has been of the greatest help to us, unlike other 'distance dealers' who have no interest in your machine once you have paid for it.

• Agree
Reactions: Lancslass

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I really hate to say it, but that Oxygen looks a really well styled bike.

Oxygen were/are in my list of five brands that I'd never want to try*, then they pull that one out of the bag.
I'm also another that likes the idea of having a double or in this case what looks like a triple chainset.

*I don't like the company, and out of principle I still wouldn't.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I second the suggestion that you visit Juicy Bikes. We have had their Classics for about 6 years, during which time the have proved durable and reliable. I cannot emphasize too strongly the importance of riding/testing/talking to the seller - Bob Wales has been of the greatest help to us, unlike other 'distance dealers' who have no interest in your machine once you have paid for it.
Humbled! Thanks Tom.