Help! Long Covid sufferer hoping to get back on a bike (newbie question)

misscosmocat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2022
Hi there, Long Covid has left me unable to ride a bike. Even if cycle for 3km very gently on a pedal-assisted bike, I'll spend a day in bed exhausted and in pain. I'm able to sit on a bike without a problem - just the pedalling is a problem. I have read the gov.uk pages for electric bikes and am very disappointed that throttle bikes are not legal. I tried my friend's 10-year-old e-bike - but the support it offered was not enough.

Can anybody think of a way I could get back on a bike? Are there motors that could be fitted to my bike that would make it consistently go at 6 km/h (which seems to be the legal limit)? I don't need to cycle fast as my children are slow anyways.
Or if I bought an electric bike with start assist - could I ride the bike with start assist for 3km? The person in our local bike shop says that that would probably kill the motor.

I'm looking for a solution that:
- Does not require me to pedal much at all
- Allows me to go on a cycle path alongside my children (that's not the case with a mobility scooter)
- Does not have to go fast
- Complies with the law (if possible)

Thanks for your ideas!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can set the power to how you like it with the software and programme cable and just use the throttle.

as for the law dont even think about it they do not care my bike can go 40mph and had it since 2014.

Reactions: misscosmocat

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Throttle bikes are allowed if properly registered, Wisper is the only (main?) company to provide them. https://wisperbikes.com/product-category/throttle-electric-bikes/
(I note I was beaten to it by the post above)

Woosh also have some with throttle, eg https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3 I think you still have to pedal every now and then to keep it within the rules. (??? I'm not sure, Woosh will confirm)

If you have a cadence sensor bike (most cheaper ones are) it will provide power as long as you can keep the pedals turning, slowly and no need to put any actual force on them. Called ghost pedalling. I don't know if that would be ok for you? (Does not require me to pedal much at all )

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm looking for a solution that:
- Does not require me to pedal much at all
- Allows me to go on a cycle path alongside my children (that's not the case with a mobility scooter)
- Does not have to go fast
- Complies with the law (if possible)

Thanks for your ideas!
if you can't pedal much, you'll need a bike with a fully acting permanent throttle so you can start off on a hill.
The Woosh Santana3 can do that with a simple reprogramming to make the throttle permanent.
If you want it to be 100% legal, it has to be certified by VOSA (£55).
The Santana3 has a Dutch frame, easy to get on and off, a very good Bafang motor which can take a child seat like one of those Hamax over the rear rack or attach a trailer for up to 2 children.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
To the OP

You can legally have a throttle as per whisper and woosh. You can also have one on a conversion as long as you stick to the other rules (250w, 15.5mph limit). This is not quite as 100% whitwr than white as the whisper /woosh solutions. However, althiugh the law might be said to be a little grey on the converions pkus throttle issue, i'd argue it really is only a little if the main laws are stuck to. There are threads on this if interested which involve grandfather rights and other matters

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Look for a hub motored bike with pas (pedal assist sensor) this will give the ghost pedalling mentioned above. i.e. just turn the pedals so that the system registers rotation, no effort needed.
Do not buy a mid drive or crank motored bike as this will be torque sense, requiring effort from the rider, so not suitable.
Speed limit for assist is 15/16mph, I think you are confusing this with the walk assist speed limit of 6Kph.

Low speed can put extra strain on a motor. It is designed to run at an optimum speed (50-100% of speed limit - approx) lower speeds cause the motor to run inefficiently so generating more heat. So speeds of 5-6mph would do this. This is probably what the bike shop was referring to. However, modern hubs are very robust and I don't think this would be a problem for you when riding on the flat. Steep hills at low speed would be, but I'm guessing you won't be going there - yet.
The Woosh bike would seem to fit your needs. Dutch style frames are heavy but it does have the full acting throttle capability to at least get you out there and using muscles to balance.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

misscosmocat

Sep 23, 2022

you can set the power to how you like it with the software and programme cable and just use the throttle.

as for the law dont even think about it they do not care my bike can go 40mph and had it since 2014.
Thanks so much for your reply!
I was wondering: are these motors loud?

misscosmocat

Sep 23, 2022
Throttle bikes are allowed if properly registered, Wisper is the only (main?) company to provide them. https://wisperbikes.com/product-category/throttle-electric-bikes/
(I note I was beaten to it by the post above)

Woosh also have some with throttle, eg https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3 I think you still have to pedal every now and then to keep it within the rules. (??? I'm not sure, Woosh will confirm)

If you have a cadence sensor bike (most cheaper ones are) it will provide power as long as you can keep the pedals turning, slowly and no need to put any actual force on them. Called ghost pedalling. I don't know if that would be ok for you? (Does not require me to pedal much at all )
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I had no idea. This will help so much!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks so much for your reply!
I was wondering: are these motors loud?
they all make a noise in there own way but some are louder than others but with these you can up the amps for more top speed if you wanted to or tow the kids around going 30mph ;)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The 750watt rating, of the kit you link to, makes it illegal. It is a mid drive motor which fits to the bottom bracket of your bike and drives through the existing chain and gears. There can be difficulties with bottom bracket compatability, depends on the bike. Also the resulting chain line can make setting up the gears problematic. All this can be solved, especially with help from the forum, but you need to be good with the spanners, know what you're looking at.
A far simpler fit would be a rear hub and simpler still a front hub..

Have a look at Woosh:
Their kits may be more expensive than the one you linked too but, you get a guarenteed plug and play kit. A known UK supplier with a very good rep on the forum and good back up customer service if you need it. A known quality of battery with stated cell content. If you tell them what bike you have and send pictures they can help you select a compatable kit.

Trying to make your life easier.

misscosmocat

Sep 23, 2022
The 750watt rating, of the kit you link to, makes it illegal. It is a mid drive motor which fits to the bottom bracket of your bike and drives through the existing chain and gears. There can be difficulties with bottom bracket compatability, depends on the bike. Also the resulting chain line can make setting up the gears problematic. All this can be solved, especially with help from the forum, but you need to be good with the spanners, know what you're looking at.
A far simpler fit would be a rear hub and simpler still a front hub..

Have a look at Woosh:
Their kits may be more expensive than the one you linked too but, you get a guarenteed plug and play kit. A known UK supplier with a very good rep on the forum and good back up customer service if you need it. A known quality of battery with stated cell content. If you tell them what bike you have and send pictures they can help you select a compatable kit.

Trying to make your life easier.
Thanks for your advice, Benjamin. When you say that Whoosh sells a "plug and play" kit - does that mean that I wouldn't need to be so good with the spanners?

Lizt

Jun 14, 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I had no idea. This will help so much!
I had my Wisper 806T legally derestricted and it has been worth every penny. I am now able to set off much more safely and if needed I can have a break from pedalling. Also great for riding up hills. Wisper bikes come highly recommended - I love mine. It is also very quiet.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks for your advice, Benjamin. When you say that Whoosh sells a "plug and play" kit - does that mean that I wouldn't need to be so good with the spanners?
A front hub motor should fit into the forks with a minimum of fuss. You then have to mount the battery (either rear rack of frame mount - if your frame is step through rear rack is probaly best), also the display and route the wiring. Plug and play refers to the guarentee that the components will all work together as the supplier has chosen them (and maybe configured them) to do so. Less headache for first time installer.
You'll still need to get the spanners and screwdrivers out but there shouldn't be as many (if any) misalignment issues.
All this with the caveat that, if using Woosh, you send them photo's of the bike before kit purchase. They want to sell you a kit that is going to work and fit 'cos then they don't get blowback.
Woosh's own tech guys and forum members will help you through the process, 'cos we all love the e-bike grin.:D

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I fully agree with Benjahmin's post above. I've been doing most of our bike maintenance for years and know a fair amount about electricity, but I was still very confused about what makes a good complete ebike kit setup. I found the relationship between controller and display particularly confusing, and would have been very nervous selecting components to make a complete kit.

Our Woosh (XF07) kit gave complete confidence it would all work. They checked out space (especially battery space) for our tandem before ordering, and provided the kit all wired up with appropriately extended cables for the tandem. I got very quick help from them on the minor issues I had during installation.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
@misscosmocat Welcome to our forum. You have received some excellent advice/tips from other members.
In order of importance you need to figure out:
  1. type of motor, front rear or mid-drive.
  2. which kit with your skill level will most easily fit your bike.
  3. legal or ?? Throttle or not?
  4. source of supply and assistance level available to you from each source.
1) a front hub motor is the simplest to fit and maintain. The drawbacks are they take a bit of getting used to at first, and they can be very skittish on gravel and soft surfaces especially on a gradient which is where you need the most extra push.
Rear hubs are slightly more difficult to fit but are a more natural ride. Both these are easily maintained which is another plus. I would recommend a rear hub for you.
Mid-drive motors have about the same skill level requirements as rear hub motors. They will only fit some bikes, you need to check to see if yours is one of them. They have the most natural riding feel of the three types, but you do need to exert some pressure on the pedals to get the best from them. This is the best for exercise.

2) in order, front, rear, mid-drive.
3) This is the most contentious of your choices. I personally recommend going legal; at least for your first foray into ebikes. I heartily recommend a throttle kit, it is a great safety feature and can get you out of a serious situation .
4) You can get some good prices on Alibaba, ebay and Amazon for various Chinese kits, but I could not advise that. Local suppliers are far and away the best and the best of them is Whoosh. I have bought kits off them and their service is absolutely superb. Whisper is another local dealership which is highly recommended. You can ring or email Andy or Tony at Whoosh and get an almost instant response. Try doing that with a Chinese supplier who sell their products through multiple middle men.

Once you decide on which type of motor you want, think about battery size. 36, 48 or 52 volt batteries-none of them cheap, they are the most expensive item in the kit, your choice will determine the likely range you will be able to achieve.
That will depend on the type of riding you will be doing. Just local down to the shops to grab a prescription and half a dozen eggs or traversing the highways and byways of the UK for the sheer pleasure of our lovely countryside.

The very best of luck to you on your quest, Tony.

misscosmocat

Sep 23, 2022
Thank you all! Your advice has been amazing! @vidtek @sjpt @Benjahmin @Lizt @soundwave @KirstinS @StuartsProjects
I really appreciated your advice as I did SO much research and had come to the conclusion that there are no legal throttle options. But I stand corrected and happy. To keep it simple, I've gone for one of those legal throttle bikes some of you recommended - custom built by the manufacturer for me. I can confirm that both Whoosh and Whisper have excellent customer service.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi!

Thanks for your kind comment!

I can assure you that once a bike has been through the Type Approval Process and is certified as an L1e they are legal to use on roads in the UK. If you are not issued with the certificate as shown below, it's very doubtful that the bike is legal.

All the best, David

Reactions: vidtek and guerney

misscosmocat

Sep 23, 2022
Hi all, I just wanted to thank you all SO much! My bike arrived. When I started researching (in other forums), I was always told "It cannot be done, it's illegal!". But you guys helped me out. I had a lovely ride today - long may it last. I cannot wait to go for a bike ride with my children again and to go to places in a more environmentally friendly way. Thanks to all of you for helping me out!

20230104_103934.jpg

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
What a great outcome!
Hopefully with the throttle assisting and as your recovery continues you'll start to feel comfortable to spin your legs. Well done all for advice and to Wisper for coming up with the answer