Is this the begining of the end for my Wisper battery?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good news then, no new battery expense. So it's back to those suspect controls now.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
That's good news then, no new battery expense. So it's back to those suspect controls now.
Just waiting for battery to recharge and then I can put everything back together.

I've continuity checked the controller cables and everything is ok. There isn't any obvious physical fault with controller or power selector.

That leaves me to think it is either wiring on the bike (which I will check next), the controller (An interesting diversion reading the datasheet for the CY8C24533 BLDC controller chip used in this controller), the power selector as shemozzle999 suggests (which I have resoldered).

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
So, to quote Winston Churchill in rather more detail:

'Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.'

Rog,

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
The main wiring loom on the bike appears to be good, so that just leaves the controller and power level selector... oh and possibly the throttle/switch which I haven't even looked at!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
So, to quote Winston Churchill in rather more detail:

'Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.'

Rog,
Most definitely somewhere about there! :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can already forecast exactly which will be at fault. It will be the last thing you check! ;)

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Bike is all back together and working as well as it was before it starting acting up. I've been on a short ride so it remains to be seen if it acts up again.

The Hi/Low switch still doesn't switch between Hi and Low (stuck on Hi) and the pedelec mode is still not working, (while I was putting it all back together I checked it with a multimeter. The 5v feed and ground was ok, but the voltage on the signal wire didn't change as I rotated the crank).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds good so far then, at least if it keeps going like this you won't be inconvenienced.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Now that it working again, could you try starting the bike with very low throttle input and check to see that it is running smoothly. I would repeat this with the wheel in various different start positions and check to see there are no dead spots. I say this because I couldn't understand, now you know the battery has checked out OK, why it appeared you had voltage sag when running, if a phase is not firing then the current drawn would be greater and would induce voltage sag.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
@Zom13e , as a matter of interest , what did you use as a test load to discharge your battery ?
3 x 12v 55w car headlight bulbs in series as flecc suggested. In the end I had them mounted on some old pc cpu heat sinks as they were getting so hot they were melting the sleeves on the crocodile clips on my test leads!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Now that it working again, could you try starting the bike with very low throttle input and check to see that it is running smoothly. I would repeat this with the wheel in various different start positions and check to see there are no dead spots. I say this because I couldn't understand, now you know the battery has checked out OK, why it appeared you had voltage sag when running, if a phase is not firing then the current drawn would be greater and would induce voltage sag.
Will do...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Tried slow throttle with the wheel at various starting points and it is smooth and quiet.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Good, then it appears every thing is in order, but should it fail again I suggest you retry the test.
I can't think of anything else to suggest and hope you have resolved the problem.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
What a fascinating read!

I must say I am always amazed by the depth of knowledge demonstrated on the forum. Thanks for all you input Shemozzle and Flecc. There is nothing I can really add to what has been said already. It may well be worth dropping the bike off for a full service in the near future z0mb13e but I expect that would spoil your fun! :)

All the best

David