help with a new Go cycle

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
A good friend is mesmerised with a new Gocycle

http://www.gocycle.com/Product_s/123.htm

I have pushed him towards a Kalkoff/KTM/Haibike as a reliable 8 mile commuter, but as he drives an electric Smart, he is overwhelmed with the 'coolness' rating of the Gocyle

what would this great readership say were the downsides of this purchase, please, so I can knock some sense into him before he writes his cheque???????????????????

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Sense doesn't come into it, once smitten all sense is bypassed until reality is encountered (post purchase). I think if you want a gadget rather than a bike and you have plenty of cash this is seems to make sense.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Gocycle is brilliant. It's a shame that they're so expensive. They came to Redbridge last year, and we all had fun racing them round the track. They have really good power - I'd say more than a Kalkhoff, and they can be folded up and packed away.

The main downside is that everything is bespoke. I think IIRC that only the brake levers were a standard bicycle part, so everything else would have to come from and be serviced by Gocycle. Also, the range won't be very high if you turn up the power because the battery is not very big (220wh).

You can program the speed and power profile via a smartphone ap. The gear-changing is automatic with manual override, which takes a bit of getting used to. Most of us had problems mastering it, but I'm sure that if it were your own bike, you'd soon get used to it.

The first generation Gocycles seemed to get more than their share of problems, but then it was re-engineered to make it more robust and reliable. It should be well-sorted by now.

In summary, It's a masterpiece of engineering - a completely new approach to how an electric bike should be. It's how the Smart Bike should have been - light, powerful and convenient. I wish I could afford one.

Last edited by a moderator:

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
thanks d8veh, I didn't realise that they should/could have been better received than they have been...

I suppose that with that much bespoke design, the price is inevitably going to reflect that, but certainly the 16kg weight complete with battery, is not equaled by many bikes except Cytronex, AND Jerry Simon's XL Brompton

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clever and stylish, but hopelessly impractical in so many ways, plus being expensive both to buy and run long term. I don't like the noise it makes either.

It's a product before it's time, suited to production in millions at reasonable prices, but that sort of e-bike market may never occur.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know if they've changed something since Flecc rode his, but I don't remember the noise being an issue.

I forgot to mention above that they're very fast and they have full suspension for a nice comfy ride.

This is pretty cool too. It's a shame that you can't carry the case and storage stand with you to take the bike on the train:

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Did you manage to try one flecc, and (forgetting the expense!!) what are the other impracticalities??

Has anybody out there, actually purchased and is using one, on a day to day basis....?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I didn't ride it, just saw and heard it. It was the original so the motor noise which I'd describe as "buzzy" may have been attended to now.

The things I see as impracticalities are no carrier or way of fitting an adequate one, since the foot on rearward pedals will foul panniers on a normal seatpost carrier. No convenient way of having adequate mudguards. The shaped handlebar preventing standard accessory mounting, such as bike lighting. Lack of range. The usual small wheel bike advantage of folding has been lost, taking it apart into a separate and cumbersome case being no substitute.

As a fun toy or very short distance daylight commuter ok, but in many UK conditions and uses, it doesn't measure up to what's needed. A triumph of style over commonsense.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I'm with the others style over actual performance no range and expensive.
Still looks nice but only as decoration.

D

Deleted member 4366

It has performance in spades. It can run at 40 amps. I can't remember the modes, but in normal mode, it had as much torque as an Ezee bike, Kudos Tornado or Bosch bike. In high-power mode, it would annihilate them. Handling and braking are excellent. It has inboard disc brakes. Don't underestimate this bike just because it looks different. These are the features:
  • Very powerful and fast (programmable) - a lot more than most ebikes
  • Very light (16kg)
  • Disc Brakes
  • Automatic gears
  • Full suspension
  • Foldable
  • Quick release wheels
  • Enclosed drive system - no greasy chain
  • Torque sensor and torque control system with throttle override.
No other electric bike can match that. The only two things that drag it off perfection are the price and the relatively small battery, though 220wh should take you at least 20 miles in normal mode., maybe 10 miles in going nuts mode.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Flecc their Web site shows that they can be fitted with mudguards & carriers etc., I cannot see the price of the bike though.

jhruk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
There seem to be a difference of opinions here. Having had short rides on both the first and current versions I'd say both sides have some merit.

On the plus side the latest G2 I tried did seem quite an improvement on the first version. The motor seemed a lot quieter, more powerful, and the control system much more sophisticated. I was impressed by its performance, the riding position is good and the suspension does take some of the sting out of the small wheels. The disc brakes work well, it's very light for an electric bike and the enclosed chain seems a good idea.

Now the downsides. As has been pointed out it's not compatible with most normal cycle parts or accessories, so you're stuck with Gocycle for these. The luggage carrying provision seem to be an afterthought rather than built into the design. They list a seatpost rack (£100) in their list of accessories but don't seem to feature it in any photos, or show if/how it fits into the carrying case. Likewise the front carrier.

Perhaps most importantly it can't really be described as a folder. Yes it does disassemble into a small package, but nobody is going to want to do this at the beginning or end of every ride, or when getting on or off a train.

At its present price point (£2499.00) it would appear to have a small market. Those who want something a bit different and are prepared to pay for it, those where its light weight and ease of disassembly might be top of the list, such as those living in small inner city flats, and those just attracted by the clean looking design - it would look less out of place in a living room then most bikes. And Smart car owners of course, it might be one of the few electric bikes to actually fit in one.

Overall, for me, its a good attempt at something different – there are far worse examples. If its many good points could be combined with the folding and practicalities of a Brompton I'm sure there would be a winner.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc their Web site shows that they can be fitted with mudguards & carriers etc., I cannot see the price of the bike though.
I knew, but as I said, not practical. The inadequately supported rear mudguard is very vulnerable and although the carrier can carry things on top, the weight is limited and if full size panniers are used, the heels in normal cycling will foul the panniers when pedalling.

I've acknowledged the clever design and recognise the advantages and I agree with d8veh that it's the best attempt yet at a radical redesign of an e-bicycle. But in my view the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages when compared to a conventional design.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
the biggest issue for my friend, is being able to carry the bike into his place of work, rather than chain it up in all weathers in a busy street....
the weight, plus the rideability swing it for the GoBike over the the more mainstream competitors like Kalkoff etc
the chances of losing it to a passing toe-rag with convenient bolt cutters, must be quite high in Cental London
other than the Brompton, there isn't much choice, although perhaps the AVE Bosch folder may have been an option, but still probably heavier.....20" wheels make it far more stable for a relative novice than flighty 16" ones

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then in that particular case the GoCycle could be ideal, assuming that the impractical features will not be a problem and the purchase and running costs afforded.

I think you should advise him to first look into what he needs to do to make if ok for his run, such things as fitting lights, bell/horn etc., made more difficult as I described earlier.