Grinder proof D Lock coated with Barronium

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Every bike needs a small R2D2 guarding it with frickin' tasers. Such robots may be cheaper than some of these so called grinder proof locks, lighter too.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Neither of those two are applicable to this new lock they're releasing.
so called grinder proof locks
Plus what do you mean about 'so called' I mean thats a bit of a negative when we've already seen this technology advertised and tested against grinder attack, where it wears the disc so fast any potential thief would need to change the disc several times.

I think you're being a bit too critical

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Neither of those two are applicable to this new lock they're releasing.

Plus what do you mean about 'so called' I mean thats a bit of a negative when we've already seen this technology advertised and tested against grinder attack, where it wears the disc so fast any potential thief would need to change the disc several times.

I think you're being a bit too critical
Locks tend to be "Grinder-proof" or "Cut-proof" - I have never seen a lock which resists both. If you have, please do provide links. Locks using new materials like this for instance, apparently resist grinding but not cutting (or vice-versa).

I can't see a patent application for Barronium.

I think all bike locks are useless. But this Skunk odour emitting one looks fun:

Reactions: DiggyGun

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The new litelock is D / U - lock not one of those flimsy belt locks.
The belt type is not a good safe bet on it's own.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It'll be only a matter of time before the destruction tests commence. Those claims are waving red flags at bulls. I can't imagine they'd put up much significant resistance if they're "Barronium" (whatever that is) coated belt-type locks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yep someone will put it to the test, betthe lock is going to be a couple hundred though.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This "Grinder-proof" lock, wasn't. But it did take longer than usual.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It is likely going to be much similar to hiplock.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Like a lot of D-locks, Hiplock's D hoop aperture isn't wide or long enough to secure bikes to many supermarket bike stands, or lamp posts. Grinders will probably get lung cancer because, graphene.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't believe someone wanted a Dahon Curve (?) this much:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can't believe someone just didn't smack him one in the face and nick his grinder, ther were enough people to restrain him then and his mates would have done a runner.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He was disappointed to discover later, that it wasn't a Brompton. Just a worthless Dahon Curve! Pretty much anything can happen when there's a gang.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Obviously grinder boy is alpha male take him out and the others will cry off.
They servive on intimidation and fear, no more then the school bully does but will shite themselves when retailated against.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Locks tend to be "Grinder-proof" or "Cut-proof" - I have never seen a lock which resists both. If you have, please do provide links. Locks using new materials like this for instance, apparently resist grinding but not cutting (or vice-versa).
'Or'
Looks like you're splitting hairs there Guernay. And such vids are easy to locate so why not go look for yourself. Im not here to hold your hand and pat you gently on the head saying 'There There'

I've seen a number of grinder proof locks advertised and tested in vids on you tube, so there is your starting point.

I suspect the lock is a combination of this new outer material over a solid steel core. The outer coat rapidly wears out cutter discs, the steel bar inner against things like bolt croppers. But we already know that the majority of big D locks are pretty much impregnable to croppers, you need 5' long cropper to get through a thick D bar, along with the strength of Samson.
So a combination of the two should make then damned near cut proof.

Of course many of these tests are carried out in a safe environment, not in the middle of the street where you have the risk of the cops turning up or people phoning them and then turning up or CCTV.

So the majority of the time, probably 95% of the time, they're going to be impervious to attack.

Looking for a couple of percent of the time to win an argument, ignoring the main points, isnt a conclusive argument.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I don't bother with locks... folding bikes are ok in Tescos

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
It is only Barronium. I'll wait until at least Earrlium before I buy.

Who'd have thought redundant Peers would find a use?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Obviously grinder boy is alpha male take him out and the others will cry off.
They servive on intimidation and fear, no more then the school bully does but will shite themselves when retailated against.
They all go out tooled up, and the worry is discovering one has brought fists to a knife fight. Or knuckle-dusters or machettes. After the thief has been relieved of his angle grinder, he'd very likely whip out a big serrated blade, then it'd be angle grinder vs knife in a colosseum-like street environment. In the video, the small aggressive bike theif has made the alpha on the opposite side back down. If his accomplice didn't scarper, he could randomly stab intrepid heros within arm's reach from the other side of the railing. And it's not just knives and machettes - a friend years ago almost had his heart pierced by a long hat pin (or shaprened knitting needle, or some other kind of metal spike), expertly plunged into his chest by a "Off her head gypsy woman". He was a gigantic bouncer with a very interesting knuckle duster collection, some very old. And there's also the danger of the surprise gang member, who attacks unseen - a Shotokan Karate black belt I knew rapidly floored two muggers who were attacking a woman outside his home, but a third hit the back of his head with a brick. He's lucky to be alive - in hospital for weeks. He was far less confident after that experience. Knives are a reason why I cycle with a padded leather jacket - I have a fantasy that I can use it as a bull baiting cloak, trap the knife safely inside, and go on to mete out physical justice upon the attacker with extreme fisty prejudice. The other reason is for graze resistance, for the next time I fall off the bike and land on my head and arms. Leather trousers are a bridge too far.

Last edited: