gear sensor led function?

eddymunster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2019
just fitted a gear sensor to my bbs02 with an igh, cheap ebay one,any idea on how the led function works. at present mine flashes green and the display unit flickers until I press the shift lever then it turns red, haven,t been for a ride yet but are these things directional, I currently have it hooked up with the wire coming out the back of the unit.
anyone fitted one before?

thanks

eddy

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
how a gear sensor works:
you have a magnet inside the sensor. The magnet has a groove, which naturally sticks to the gear cable but otherwise the magnet can move freely along the cable. A tiny amount of springy material inside the sensor keeps the magnet roughly at the middle of the sensor.
When you change gear, the gear cable moves the magnet, which triggers the sensor.
When the gear cable stops moving, the magnet returns back to the middle of the sensor.

Reactions: eddymunster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
just fitted a gear sensor to my bbs02 with an igh, cheap ebay one,any idea on how the led function works. at present mine flashes green and the display unit flickers until I press the shift lever then it turns red, haven,t been for a ride yet but are these things directional, I currently have it hooked up with the wire coming out the back of the unit.
anyone fitted one before?
Does it turn the motor off? If so it is working.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Rumour has it that there are (hard to find & more expensive) igh specific gear sensors available that cut power at the ‘start of shift’, as opposed to ‘end of shift’ for derailleurs.

eddymunster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 21, 2019
went for ride, seems to work but the cut seems a bit long, might have to tweak the controller delay, early controller so its in the brake switch