G51 controller ( Pedal Assist not working )

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
so mine is a zero start then yeah.
I changed my post as incorrectly posted it.

If you change your P9 to 0001 then the throttle should become inactive and will operate only with pedalling.
According to the manual your throttle should be zero start but it isn't ?
So maybe they have worded the manual incorrectly.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk

If you change your P9 to 0001 then the throttle should become inactive and will operate only with pedalling.

so is it better to have it start with pedal 1st then

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
so is it better to have it start with pedal 1st then
It all depends on how you want to use the bike and how hot the fuzz are at checking out bikes.
Currently if one was to get stopped then they may confiscate your bike with a fully operating twist and go option. If it is pedal first option they can't as it isn't classed as twist and go.
If wattage/throttle consultation comes into play then the law changes will be legal but only if they make that concession.

I don't like twist and go throttle .
When I had throttle I operated it as pedal first , but now don't use them or have them fitted.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
It all depends on how you want to use the bike and how hot the fuzz are at checking out bikes.
Currently if one was to get stopped then they may confiscate your bike with a fully operating twist and go option. If it is pedal first option they can't as it isn't classed as twist and go.
If wattage/throttle consultation comes into play then the law changes will be legal but only if they make that concession.

I don't like twist and go throttle .
When I had throttle I operated it as pedal first , but now don't use them or have them fitted.

Well Yes I heard also that shops can sell bikes with a throttle, but its ilegal to use one which dont make a lot of sense if shops can sell them. and its ok for them.

so is my P14 on the right setting to hill climb, as like you said its 20a so it must be on highest setting now

I will check my bike on next week for the PAS problem, But it seems i will have to remove the pedal to check it, as its sealed up behind pedal arm

BTW I have a thumb throttle instead of grip one now

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
P14 will just shorten the battery life a little , really depends on how often one is drawing 20a . If it is a speed controller then that will be most of the time until the requisite speed is reached.
One also has to be careful when riding up steep hills , go too slowly and one will encounter thermal cut outs due to mosfets overheating.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
P14 will just shorten the battery life a little , really depends on how often one is drawing 20a . If it is a speed controller then that will be most of the time until the requisite speed is reached.
One also has to be careful when riding up steep hills , go too slowly and one will encounter thermal cut outs due to mosfets overheating.
Yeah true what you said. I’m firstly going to put it back to factory settings hopefully that may sort it. I will 1st make sure I have taken images of all 16 programs then start again I can’t really see what could be wrong at pedals as the PAS wire is ok and can’t see how the sensor can come off

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The magnet disc can crack or move , something can accidently knock or hit the disc to move it . It may even come loose just from use and ageing , all depends how it is secured.
Road muck or gunge can block the signal if the magnets are dirty or gunky.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The magnet disc can crack or move , something can accidently knock or hit the disc to move it . It may even come loose just from use and ageing , all depends how it is secured.
Road muck or gunge can block the signal if the magnets are dirty or gunky.
ok will check that too. But you need a special crank nut to remove the pedal arm I’ve got one somewhere can think of the name of it now

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk

According to the manual your throttle should be zero start but it isn't ?
So maybe they have worded the manual incorrectly.

You say above my throttle should be zero start, well it is zero start as its on 000.00

P09 Zero start & Non-zero Start. 0 is Zero Start, 1 is Non-zero Start

Ive got a bit confused with this PAS, as if I turn it off like no markers on display, then my throttle dont work. but obvious it will even if i show level 1 on PAS. so does this mean PAS is working ok. as if i dont use throttle and say have PAS up to 5 start pedalling, PAS dont kick in

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
PAS is simple , if it works then you will hear and feel the motor working . Ignore the throttle for now and don't use it, just pedal and one will feel the power wafting you along.
As for the crank tool , one doesn't need one to check the disc . One can simply turn the bike USD to see the disc and manually check the fitting isn't faulty.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
PAS is simple , if it works then you will hear and feel the motor working . Ignore the throttle for now and don't use it, just pedal and one will feel the power wafting you along.
As for the crank tool , one doesn't need one to check the disc . One can simply turn the bike USD to see the disc and manually check the fitting isn't faulty.
No I dont feel the PAS kick in when I pedal without throttle. so it most likely is the sensor at pedals. I am going to check bike when its a bad day like the weather I mean, but while this nice weather is out, im going out each day on bike. so not had a chance to look just yet but will try soon and let you know.

Well I have decided to look at PAS today, and I will have to remove the pedal arm so I can check the magnets etc. But can I dam find that special nut remover to get pedal arm off, I have tons of tools but its always same can never find something when needed lol

Well until I can find that special pedal arm nut remover Im stuck as cant get pedal arm off to check PAS now. Ive search tons of boxes in my place for that nut remover, its typical when something you need cannot be found

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see , you have one of those crappy V12L type sensors.
They seem to have issues with reliability.
Often the central splines break and don't grip the axle correctly to rotate the inner section that rotates the magnets.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I see , you have one of those crappy V12L type of sensors.
They seem to have issues with reliability.
Often the central splines break and don't grip the axle correctly to rotate the inner section that rotates the magnets.
Well I am stuck now until I can remove the pedal arm to access the PAS sensor as dam just cannot find that crank puller

Well after 1 and a 1/2 hours looking for that pedal arm remover tool Ive got the arm off and here is the sensor but what do I look for

What sort of PAS can I fit there maybe its best to get a different type

Well I have cleaned it up replaced back, and it is spinning the magnets as by turning opp pedal you can see it spinning inside so Im stuck now maybe it needs a new PAS

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Is it possible to fit a better PAS then if so what type. I really need some help on whats best one to get for my bike. as looking at the magnets on old one they do seem to be broke or worn

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Well I am stuck now until I can remove the pedal arm to access the PAS sensor as dam just cannot find that crank puller

Well after 1 and a 1/2 hours looking for that pedal arm remover tool Ive got the arm off and here is the sensor but what do I look for

View attachment 57646

View attachment 57647

What sort of PAS can I fit there maybe its best to get a different type

Well I have cleaned it up replaced back, and it is spinning the magnets as by turning opp pedal you can see it spinning inside so Im stuck now maybe it needs a new PAS
Does the inner section rotate ? Try putting you finger to the hole and see if it rotates, it should rotate quite freely.

The magnets one can barely see some of them so the unit is likely filled with gunk /oil/road muck. If one is careful one can I believe pry it a part to clean up.

When refitted the outer section should be stationary and only the inner section should rotate when the cranks are turned.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Does the inner section rotate ? Try putting you finger to the hole and see if it rotates, it should rotate quite freely.

The magnets one can barely see some of them so the unit is likely filled with gunk /oil/road muck. If one is careful one can I believe pry it a part to clean up.

When refitted the outer section should be stationary and only the inner section should rotate when the cranks are turned.
Oh I didnt realise you could pry it apart, so can now try that. and yes it will rotate he inner part, when you turn pedals. I just thought maybe a better PAS would be better, but not sure which type.

I am a bit confused though about PAS, as on the display, if I have no PAS marks showing, then the throttle wont work. But if i have just 1 PAS mark showing then throttle is fine. so does that PAS is working. as its not when pedalling

I see I have 12 magnets on the PAS and on program PO7 it says

P07 Speed measuring magnet. Range: 1-100 mine is on 00001 so should that be 12

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like throttle is only active when a PAS mode is selected.
As I said one will feel the PAS is working as one will feel/hear the motor engaging and the power kick in without throttle activation.

As for another PAS one can replace like for like or opt for a two piece PAS.
A pic of your PAS connector to suggest a replacement, if one can't get it to work.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Sounds like throttle is only active when a PAS mode is selected.
As I said one will feel the PAS is working as one will feel/hear the motor engaging and the power kick in without throttle activation.

As for another PAS one can replace like for like or opt for a two piece PAS.
A pic of your PAS connector to suggest a replacement, if one can't get it to work.

Well no when pedalling, the PAS dont kick in, so I can replace for same one what I have now, if it dont go after cleaning. whats a 2 piece PAS

The connector of the PAS is same as I have with thumb throttle connector

whats about what I said here

I see I have 12 magnets on the PAS and on program PO7 it says

P07 Speed measuring magnet. Range: 1-100 mine is on 00001 so should that be 12

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
P07 is motor speed pulse so is motor magnets used to calculate speed reading, 1 is correct.

PAS magnet count is P13.