Front wheel hub kits. a few questions

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
a couple of question on front wheel kits.

i have a nice 700c wheeled tourer (surly lht) and have had thoughts of fitting a front hub motor to assist me uphill .
i do not need help on the flat or downhill obiously.
so is there a hub motor that you can switch on to use just uphill.
is it available in a bb mounted sensor or would it have to be a throttle.
if it were to be a throttle, is there a small thumb type available.
how much assist would i get from a bottle cage mounted battery.

sorry for all the questions, but you guys all know what you are talking about.

thanks.

C

Cyclezee

a couple of question on front wheel kits.

i have a nice 700c wheeled tourer (surly lht) and have had thoughts of fitting a front hub motor to assist me uphill .
i do not need help on the flat or downhill obiously.
so is there a hub motor that you can switch on to use just uphill.
is it available in a bb mounted sensor or would it have to be a throttle.
if it were to be a throttle, is there a small thumb type available.
how much assist would i get from a bottle cage mounted battery.

sorry for all the questions, but you guys all know what you are talking about.

thanks.
Hi 20ston,

Cyclezee can supply a a 700c conversion kit with everything you need except a bottle cage mount battery.
eZee kit batteries are for rack mounting.

You can find more information here Bikes & Conversion Kits - Cyclezee Ltd

Regards,

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
John, thanks for the link, but i dont understand any of the technical stuff there.
i just want a motor with a fair bit of power and a fair bit of range.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Any kit can be used just as and when desired, but it sounds like with your type of bike, you need some thing small, light and unobtrusive. Your options are also dependent on your technical skills. One member who is into your type of scene is Jerrysimon, so do not miss reading his posts. A smaller battery will not give you less power, but it will develop that power for a shorter time. If you only require assistance on uphill stretches, your range will depend on how many hills, and how steep they are. For instance, here in South Lincolnshire, my range could be several hundred miles. as there are no hills! Being serious, a 7 Amp Hour battery or even smaller could do what you want.

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
been looking at the Daahub which looks ideal.
can i buy this in the uk? if so where from.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
In a word 20ston.....No, actually , you cant.....for several reasons.
There was a recent thread all about this...the why's and wherefores !! try the search at the top of this page to find it..... or someone else will no doubt be along shortly with the link :)

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Ha...you beat me to it John, I had just come back on to post the link :p

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
thanks for the link.
one thing is getting clearer the long i spend on this forum.
the suppliers do not seem to want to help themselves or their customers.
obviously a lot of the folk on here know what they are doing with conversions and homemade stuff, but for someone with no engineering nounce and who simply needs a good powerfull kit, the only real and proper option seems to be to have to buy a complete bike.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Or buy an Ezee kit and have it fitted ?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
thanks for the link.
...the suppliers do not seem to want to help themselves or their customers.
Sorry that you feel this way. It looked like John had been giving lots of help. What else did you need?

C

Cyclezee

thanks for the link.
one thing is getting clearer the long i spend on this forum.
the suppliers do not seem to want to help themselves or their customers.
obviously a lot of the folk on here know what they are doing with conversions and homemade stuff, but for someone with no engineering nounce and who simply needs a good powerfull kit, the only real and proper option seems to be to have to buy a complete bike.
Hi 20ston,

If you send me an email, I can email you a copy of our installation guide so that you can see what is involved with a conversion.
It is quite straight forward and not as complicated as you might think.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Welcome to the forum 20ston.

From where I sit, I see that the suppliers on here are very helpful. Some of us just love to tinker and have a go at putting together our own kits and tend to post lots of details of our projects.

I myself started with a kit from Alien. I then wanted to build something much lighter (I mainly use small wheeled folding/separable bikes) and found that lighter hub motors are not readily available in the UK.

So I had a go myself, sourcing the motors direct from China,

This is my first project in 2009 using a 2.1Kg motor. This is a huge thread that covers my first attempt to build a wheel, through to making small DIY batteries. I am a firm believer in only carrying the required size and weight of battery for light bike setups.

My latest project using a 1.4kg motor.

These are the two motors I have been trying. The smallest one on the left is only 200watts and 100mm diameter which I am trying at the moment in a Titanium Brompton.

These really are assist motors only, I always pedal. No pulling away from a standing start on a hill or even the flat. They really come into their own though when you want assistance on inclines/hills and more importantly for me in flat Cambridge when it is windy!

Where do you live ?

PS Reading your posts again I note you want capacity for larger distances so will require a decent battery. Again the beauty of these motors, is that being lower powered any battery will last longer.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Have a look at the 8 fun kits on ebay,from ecosmobike they are birmingham based and they have been selling bikes and kits for a few years now,a 36v kit with a well regarded bafang motor {as used by many hub motor powered electric bike sellers} and a 9ah bottle battery is £420, they also sell complete bikes at very reasonable prices,although the complete bikes would be the kits added to very cheap and cheerfull bikes.