Fresh in from oop North.

maggie x

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2024
Hiya, just in from Teesdale. I've had e-bikes for a while, but they have all been second hand with knackered batteries and generally too small for me.

I've recently sold my car and whereas I'll likely get another at some point, I'm going to try and manage without for at least the summer. I've just ordered a new -gasp - mtb, can't wait for it to arrive. The covid years made a mess of my health and frankly I want to get my breath back and have fun. Dropping some (lots of) weight would be a bonus, too.

See you on a lane somewhere, I'll be the old woman embarrassing her kids.

D

Deleted member 16246

Hiya, just in from Teesdale. I've had e-bikes for a while, but they have all been second hand with knackered batteries and generally too small for me.

I've recently sold my car and whereas I'll likely get another at some point, I'm going to try and manage without for at least the summer. I've just ordered a new -gasp - mtb, can't wait for it to arrive. The covid years made a mess of my health and frankly I want to get my breath back and have fun. Dropping some (lots of) weight would be a bonus, too.

See you on a lane somewhere, I'll be the old woman embarrassing her kids.
You are probably not that far from a chap called Billy Milburn who converts suitable bikes, often next to new second hand ones to ebikes, generally using Bafang crank motors like the BBS01 and often more powerful ones too. He charges little for his services and builds batteries which work. I got mine from him. He operates from a place in Durham called Esh Winning. He is very honest and tries to fit people with the right bike for their needs. He can be found on facebook.

maggie x

May 3, 2024
I know Esh Winning, yeah. Oddly enough I know a bloke who lived there, who when I first met him called himself a bike engineer and destroyed completely one of my conversion kits.

This is NOT your Billy Milburn I hasten to add, just one of life's weird co-incidences. It is handy knowing there is a real e-bike engineer there.

The bike I have ordered is an Eleglide which seems decent kit for my price range, especially as I'm never going to go anywhere too exciting on the bike.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Thebike I have ordered is an Eleglide which seems decent kit for my price range, especially as I'm never going to go anywhere too exciting on the bike.
Which model ? Let us know how you get on with it, they seem good value to me.

maggie x

May 3, 2024
'Which model ? Let us know how you get on with it, they seem good value to me.'

It's the M1 Plus. May be a bit big for me, but I prefer oversized bikes. I can't wait for it to arrive. I spent a fair bit of time considering if I would get another road bike, it's countryside here and even though up until now I've used a bike primarily for shopping or transport, I have been known to take short cuts across fields and might take rougher routes if the bike is built to cope.

Realising that a bike can be used just for fun was a revelation for me, I used to to do triathlons when I was young, then used a bike as my only transport, but bikes in my mind had a serious purpose.

I live pretty close to Hamsterley Forest and whereas I have no interest in the more lunatic tracks - I'm too old and fragile - it would be nice to have a go at the easier stuff.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge
D

Deleted member 16246

Nice area around there. I remember riding from Ravensglass on the west coast back to Newcastle over two days, long ago and passing Hamsterly on the way. It was rather hilly. I had a Dawes Galaxy touring bike at the time. The route seemed to involve crossing one dale to another. Lots of hard climbing. You will like having assistance in that locality, I'd say.

Reactions: maggie x

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Realising that a bike can be used just for fun was a revelation for me, (...) but bikes in my mind had a serious purpose.
Fun is a serious purpose. For me bike means only fun. I hope you will soon discover how much bike has to offer.

maggie x

May 3, 2024
Well my bike is here, it is built and I've been out on it a couple of times. I've checked the elwctric assist so that I know they work as they should, but mostly I'm doing short, flat-ish routes just using it as a pushbike to get my cycling muscles back.

A long tiime ago I used to do triathlon, stopped for a couple of reasons but a main one was that carpal tunnel problems really made it too painful to cycle. I've picked up bikes now and then since, but always stopped quickly when I was reminded of how painful it was.

This time I am prepared and bought some decent wrist braces. They don't stop the problem completely but do mitigate it sufficiently that I should manage 30 miles or so once I'm fit again.

The bike itself is very easy to ride, a lot lighter in weight than some I've ridden in the past, and once I get a new saddle for my fat backside it should be perfect.

In the meantime I'm making the rocking world go round.

Reactions: Az.

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Maybe it is actually making the rocking world go flat!!!
Ps know esh winning vaguely as had work companion live there 40 years ago but have never been back since!!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I too suffered from carpel tunnel years ago. That and getting neck strain lead me to investigate alternative handlebars.
Flat mountain bike bars throw your weight onto your wrists at an awkward angle.
I ended up with OnOne Mary bars. They are a riser bar, so your body is more upright so less weight on your hands. They also have swept back ends meaning your wrist sits at a more normal angle.
I find that I am less likely to ride with elbows locked so bumps are more absorbed by my arms flexing, less into neck and shoulders. It really feels like a kinder riding position.
Bit of a faff to fit but not too expensive.

maggie x

May 3, 2024
I too suffered from carpel tunnel years ago. That and getting neck strain lead me to investigate alternative handlebars.
Flat mountain bike bars throw your weight onto your wrists at an awkward angle.
I ended up with OnOne Mary bars. They are a riser bar, so your body is more upright so less weight on your hands. They also have swept back ends meaning your wrist sits at a more normal angle.
I find that I am less likely to ride with elbows locked so bumps are more absorbed by my arms flexing, less into neck and shoulders. It really feels like a kinder riding position.
Bit of a faff to fit but not too expensive.
Thanks, I'll look into these. I have my seat as low as it will go, resting on the frame in effect, but always feel frustrated that I can't raise the handlebars.

I put off getting a motorbike license for about 20 years, as I figured I would be unable to ride one due to carpal tunnel. I was able to find a better sitting position on motorbikes though, which was a joy.

I considered recumbent bikes for a while, but feel they would be even more vulnerable than ordinary cycles, and having been run over once by a guy who looked me in the eyes as he drove into me, miraculously still not seeing me, I'm all too aware of how dangerous roads can be.

Luckily, where I live I can mostly avoid roads as there are tracks taking me a majority of the distances I want to go.

Reactions: Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
having been run over once by a guy who looked me in the eyes as he drove into me, miraculously still not seeing me, I'm all too aware of how dangerous roads can be.
Stopped drivers at junctions looking directly at me and pulling out in front anyway, stopped happening thanks to bloody bright lights shone day and night. 1800 lumens flashing plus 4200 lumens constant = 6000 lumens works well during the day, even in bright sunshine. Constant 6000 lumens at night. Burns through the cyclist's invisibility cloak I never ordered nor consented to wear.