Disabled

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
I saw this on a UK cycle ad today:
  • Throttle – Up to 6 Km Per Hour – Please contact if derestriction is required for disabled use.
What exactly is this ? Doe this men I can get the Throttle restriction lifted if disabled?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I saw this on a UK cycle ad today:
  • Throttle – Up to 6 Km Per Hour – Please contact if derestriction is required for disabled use.
What exactly is this ? Doe this men I can get the Throttle restriction lifted if disabled?
It means that if you're not able to pedal, they'll change the setting for you so that it works with the throttle through the full range., which is not strictly legal at this time, though will probably change shortly. I haven't heard yet about anybody getting prosecuted for having a full-range throttle. They're more interested in the speed.

You can probably change the settings yourself.

Reactions: artspeck

Seanoge

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
Gulval, Penzance
Thanks, I have seen Wisper do it…for a hefty fee…..I have a full throttle bike and nearing 80…doubt if I would be able to go out without it…should be made legal…..

Reactions: UrbanPuma

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Thanks, I have seen Wisper do it…for a hefty fee…..I have a full throttle bike and nearing 80…doubt if I would be able to go out without it…should be made legal…..
Most likely it will be legal soon:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wipser fee isn't hefty too be 100% legal, it is but a few extra pounds.
May be the quote in #1 is because the offer is for a tested/certified upgrade just like the Wisper can be, apart from the quote in #1 one needs to enquire first to see if it is a tested /certified bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The £300 fee may seem ‘hefty’

£300 less VAT, dealer margin, less fee leaves us with £112.50 to supply and fit a new controller, drive the bike to the DVLA centre 50 minutes each way, wait an hour for the bike to be tested. Then upgrade the warrantee to carter for the extra stresses on the bike.

We just about break even on a throttle upgrade.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 16246

The £300 fee may seem ‘hefty’

£300 less VAT, dealer margin, less fee leaves us with £112.50 to supply and fit a new controller, drive the bike to the DVLA centre 50 minutes each way, wait an hour for the bike to be tested. Then upgrade the warrantee to carter for the extra stresses on the bike.

We just about break even on a throttle upgrade.

All the best, David
At that rate, you will be losing money or making very low wages.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
NO that is what "motorbikes" are for

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I really hope this will be legal soon, as this would give disabled cycylists so much freedom, exercise and inclusion, because they are excluded under the current rules

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I really hope this will be legal soon, as this would give disabled cycylists so much freedom, exercise and inclusion, because they are excluded under the current rules
Any ebike can have a throttle added. They just need to be checked and certified by the DVLA.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023

And to what disability group would you allow this, how would you police it

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
How adding throttle would impact exercise?

Proposed by government changes are for everybody, not for disabled people only.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007

The point is not everyone is catered for under the current rules - it doesn't include "everyone", hence a need for these new changes which have my full support. Thus, it would benefit everybody, and make it possible for disabled people who cannot pedal continuously to be included too, as currently the rules prevent them from using one, unless pre-2016 owned.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yes, it would benefit everybody, but would make it possible for disabled people who cannot pedal continuously to be included too, as currently the rules prevent them from using one, unless pre-2016 owned.
As it has been pointed out above any bike can have throttle.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007

Adding a throttle would allow people who cannot pedal continuously to rest their muscles when needed thus preserving their muscles and preventing injury. The option to pedal when can and use a throttle when can't shouldn't be underestimated.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Why would it need to be policed...people with
Not just for disability groups, applies to anyone with a disability, injury, age related conditions etc. No need to police anything, people buy items according to their needs.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ate they still classified as an EAPC after this is done?
They are permanently treated as EAPCs by the authorities, though technically they become motor vehicles in law.

However there is already a far superior class of bicycle for the disabled which is why the authorities won't look at your proposal. That is the L1e-A class, pedelec again but allowed up to 1000 watts rating making it more suitable for the disabled with restricted abilities. They need to be registered, but so what, most other disability vehicles need to be too and driving licences are needed.