DFT consultation on increase of 250W limit to 500W

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ill review one for you death is free :p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
it seems to me that the current law is adequate.
I agree and would prefer that the law never changes and hope it doesn't.

But I'm a realist, acknowledging the pressures that exists for it to change and the fact that it already has de facto changed, since our streets have e-bikes a-plenty with throttles and 500 watts or much much more and probably over a million e-scooters, often on pavements, almost all ridden by the unlicenced and uninsured.

It's too late to close the stable door, this horse has bolted and long gone.

And that is partly all our own faults:

1) The DfT's fault for completely messing up the introduction of EU law 22 years ago.

2) Our pedelecers fault for their nonsensical insistence that throttles are essential.

3) Wisper's fault for looking for the type approval loophole to readmit them.

4) And even your own fault for exploiting a questionable kit loophole to permit throttles.

5) and pedelecs.co.uk fault for assisting with such exploits.

So rather too late for any of us to complain now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So rather too late for any of us to complain now.
I am not complaining. There is virtually no chance that this proposal will get any traction.
The tories will lose power in about 6 months and Labour will need to keep our laws roughly aligned to EU's.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am not complaining. There is virtually no chance that this proposal will get any traction.
The tories will lose power in about 6 months and Labour will need to keep our laws roughly aligned to EU's.
Don't be so confident, Labour or Tory will face the same dilemma, legalise e-scooters or tell the US hire companies to pack up and get out and tell Currys et al to also pack up selling them.

Will either have the guts?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is no need. The e-scooters have no sound economic basis. It is a short term solution to a short-term problem in our urban transport. Soon enough, curry's will find out that customers will bring a lot of them back either for money back or for service which they may not have budgeted for. Not many consumers know how to service them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is no need. The e-scooters have no sound economic basis. It is a short term solution to a short-term problem in our urban transport. Soon enough, curry's will find out that customers will bring a lot of them back either for money back or for service which they may not have budgeted for. Not many consumers know how to service them.
And the US hire companies? Legalisation is necessary for them and they will be expecting it. The trial has already been extended, it can't be for ever.

And I don't see Currys having a conscience about servicing. Much of the market they are selling to is the kids cheap one. When mummy's little darling wants an e-scooter, he gets one, and after a while it just joins the pile of other expensive toys that get discarded.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I can't see Currys, Halfords or other places halting sales unless it is made illegal to sell them . They are legal in much of Europe and there are already too many out there on the roads in the UK for the police to do much about it.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
In some EU countries that allow e-scooters, commercial rental scooters are allowed to have a higher top speed and power, while privately owned are limited to "250W" and 20 kph. Some also require insurance if they weigh more than 25 kg. So it is possible to have two different rules to keep the commercial rental market happy.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Clearly, the rampant popularity of escooting ninja street death missiles proves there is a need for cheap transport gadgets to convey people where they want to go, without the need for insurance, registration, apparent high cost, physical effort, having to leave said stealth ninja death missiles out in public to be stolen by other ninjas obsessed with silent unexpected small wheeled murder of innocents, or indeed (at first glance) riding skill. I see parents doing the school run like this quite often - must save a fair wodge in SUV purchase and running costs... and highly likely substantially cheaper than the bus(es), which, if they actually turn up, may not take them anywhere near their home, as is often the case with so many bus routes these days. E-scooters fill a big niche, and it's a bigger niche than almost any ebike can fill, especially in these impoverished times.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An FYI - I sat in on a recent discussion held by the APPGCW with a variety of views represented - manufacturing through disability charity, logistics firm and trade body. The recap of the event here with all views represented: https://www.cyclingelectric.com/in-depth/500w-e-bike-consultation-update
The lady from the disability charity "Wheels for Wellbeing " is wrong - the real barrier to entry for disabled persons, is disability. You can't pedal after a throttle "gets you going" at 4mph, when there is a distinct lack of wellbeing. I'm guessing she's able bodied.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
The lady from the disability charity "Wheels for Wellbeing " is wrong - the real barrier to entry for disabled persons, is disability. You can't pedal after a throttle "gets you going" at 4mph, when there is a distinct lack of wellbeing. I'm guessing she's able bodied.
I have spoken to them, they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to anything vaguely technical and I'm not sure they really understand the needs of those with disabilities.

I know that when I had serious operations on my legs, I needed a throttle to get me about, I couldn't turn the pedals without a lot of pain. I had a pre 2016 bike with a step through frame, hence the throttle. I couldn't drive, taxis were way too expensive and buses, well, they never go where you want to go, when you want to go. So I was really glad to have the bike with the full throttle, otherwise I would have been trapped indoors for weeks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

needs more power.

1000bhp o-155 in 1.5 seconds :eek:

car mode 5000bhp

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have spoken to them, they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to anything vaguely technical and I'm not sure they really understand the needs of those with disabilities.

I know that when I had serious operations on my legs, I needed a throttle to get me about, I couldn't turn the pedals without a lot of pain. I had a pre 2016 bike with a step through frame, hence the throttle. I couldn't drive, taxis were way too expensive and buses, well, they never go where you want to go, when you want to go. So I was really glad to have the bike with the full throttle, otherwise I would have been trapped indoors for weeks.
Grandfather throttle rights to the rescue!

Self-appointed charities purporting to represent interests of various groups of people, while simply supporting salaries and influencing ill advised changes, are really getting on my nerves. You only have to look at the questions we regularly see here from disabled people who cannot find a pre-built bike which suits their needs. Conversion often isn't an option.

Journalists who can't understand the technology or laws are bloody annoying too. Arts degrees have a lot to answer for. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadieRoger

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
The government want people out of cars, bicycle sales are down, people don’t want to ride bicycles in the rain the 500w with throttle will allow cargo bikes and people will be able to ride things like this. It could start a whole new industry. I’m imagining the new 15.5 mph e Austin 7 called the e Austin 0.67051.

Attachments

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it the future :p