Current control or speed control?

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi all
I have the S12S controller from BMS battery and have been riding with current control (so the different power levels assist up to a max current whatever your speed).

This is working nicely, but I find that I tend to just keep putting more effort in and going faster. Do others tend to use speed control instead and would this result in a more relaxed ride?

Your thoughts would be most welcome - I'll try both ways but was interested to hear from others.
Thanks
Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

This is working nicely, but I find that I tend to just keep putting more effort in and going faster. Do others tend to use speed control instead and would this result in a more relaxed ride?
Yes. You set the level to the speed you want to go, then you pedal as hard or lightly as you want. At speeds above 15mph, pedalling doesn't make so much difference to the speed, but you use less battery. You probably won't pedal so hard with speed control, but you have the choice.

Current control is better for crank-drives.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Thanks d8veh,

Will have to try both methods once I have checked how much power I'm pulling. I think I might have been a bit over-enthusiastic with the solder on the shunt thus am controlling the current at the moment! It goes like stink up even the biggest hills when on level 5, but wires do get warm which is a bit worrying...

D

Deleted member 4366

Please let us know how you get on and which you think is best. I prefer speed control, but l might be different to everyone else.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
How do you change your S12S from current control to speed control (and visa versa) ?

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
In advanced settings. Manual is in downloads tab on the BMSbattery page for S12S and either LCD3 or LCD1 depending on which display you have.
Unfortunately it involves wading through lots of options to get to the one you want. Have the PDF open while doing it if your memory is as poor as mine!

Advertisers