Can You split the power of a conversion kit?

Soupabike

Just Joined
Jan 3, 2020
I am keen to begin a new venture with an idea for a social enterprise business that is mainly bike based. The idea would require appliances to be powered from a bike but I don't want the bike to have to pitch at a market to become a "stall". I want 100% mobility, think of a coffee bike for example. I want ot be able to power a coffee machine and say small refrigerator without needing to hook up to mains. Crazy I know.

My question being this; Is it possible to use a conversion kit on a trike style front loaded bike, have the power stored so that when needed can be used as a pedal assist and when static could help power the appliances?

Thank you

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Probably not from a bike battery. The bike/trike would be a heavy beast with equipment aboard, so power required to get/keep it moving would be a high draw on the battery, meaning range would be low.

Any equipment would likely be 240v so would have to be powered via an inverter, introducing innefficiency power losses.
Theoretically feasable but not really practical I fear.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I agree with Benjahmin, feasible but not practical.
Think of how much power the vending system would need for a peak day.
That could well be in the region of 20KWH. At the moment, 500WH batteries weigh about 3kgs, 20KWH is 40 times that, 120kgs battery.
Then there is the material cost and SVA process to go through.
20KWH battery would cost you at least £8,000.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What kind of coffee machine? How many kWh? How many hours will it be running?

Once you have those numbers you will be able to calculate the size of your battery pack. You want a 48v motor and your batteries would be 2 x 24v used in series for the motor and in parallel for the 240v AC inverser.

A 12v refrigerator is easy to run and doesn't require much power.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Better off using a large power wall/bank charged with solar power or deep cycle SLA batteries, non will come cheap.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Awww, sorry to pour cold gravy all over you Soupabike. It's a great idea but the laws of physics just get in the way.
I'd look into the small generator idea (nasty co producing things), you'd need to check that any equipment used on it could stand up to the spikey output.