Bristol Show

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
The Chinese are improving rapidly. I spent a lot of tyme talking to the Wuxing guy about how they'd introduced the Toyota Production System (TPS) into their factory. Their latest products for Yamaha no longer looked like toys. The word will soon get round, and it'll spread to motor manufacturers and electronics if it hasn't already. You only have to look back at motors. Think of the defect rate on Bafang motors 4 years ago. What is it now? I can't really remember anybody that had a broken motor that was run within its rating.
What do you mean "run within its rating"? How would I know? Take its temperature?!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The Oxygen looks quite nice, does anyone know the price? it isn't on their website, guessing it will be circa £1,600 ? going off the other bikes they sell.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Hi all.
I'd like to say BIG THANKS to Alistair from Atmosphere Electric Bikes for organising this fantastic event for the 3rd time now. This is clearly now the major UK electric bike event and I'm really glad this is becoming better and better year by year. Due to personal reasons I regret I could not attend this years race myself and I was so pleased that Dale and Jonathan did so well in the hill climbing race. For Dale and the new Emate MTB we could not dream up a better launch of the new bike with such win.

The new E-mate MTB is a result of many months of development that I personally been involved with. We had a significant delay with this but finally this product is now finalised and reviews say it is indeed fabulous.

The bikes will be available at the end of July and prices to be confirmed. This will be confirmed shortly but Oxygen can promise great value for money and best buy for quality to the price.

Bikes will come in the performer Black version as on the picture attached with CST motor, sine wave controller and the powerful Samsung 13Ah battery.
There will be also more basic version but also with great Schwalbe tyres fitted as standard and the Samsung 11Ah battery pack. More details coming up shortly

all the best

Andrew

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

What do you mean "run within its rating"? How would I know? Take its temperature?!
You could try that, but most people would know if they changed their battery from 36v to 72v, or whether they changed their little 15 amp controller to a 15 FET 72v one because it's about ten times the size.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Oxygen looks quite nice, does anyone know the price? it isn't on their website, guessing it will be circa £1,600 ? going off the other bikes they sell.
Good guess. At the show, they were saying probably £1595. It should give the Neos a run for their money.

Reactions: Artstu

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I also had a go on the KTM with the Panasonic hub-motor. It was very nice to ride because it had plenty of power and nice power algorithms. It was much easier to get the power you wanted than with a Bosch because it didn't care too much which gear you were in, so if you got caught in too high a gear, you could just pedal, and the motor would sort things out. If I were in the market for this sort of bike, I'd get one rather than a Bosch.
That's very interesting. Was it the KTM E-CrossP by any chance? The reason I ask is that the KTM is at the moment my first choice for a replacement/ back-up for my Rose E6 with the BionX system. The Rose is a lovely bike and a pleasure to ride when the BionX system is working properly, unfortunately when it goes wrong the bike has to be returned to Germany for repair and this seems to take forever as Rose's initial efficiency seems to have deteriorated. I am therefore looking for a replacement hub-motor machine, to be bought in the UK and as close to home in Scotland as possible. The KTM E-CrossP seems to fit the bill and your description of the performance of the Panasonic motor is encouraging.

Jim

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not sure what model it was. I was more interested in the motor and control system, which I guess is the same on all models. I expect Col will be along in a minute to explain which one it was.It's not as quiet as a Bionx, but still quiet enough. I think you'd be happy with one.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
I'm not sure what model it was. I was more interested in the motor and control system, which I guess is the same on all models. I expect Col will be along in a minute to explain which one it was.It's not as quiet as a Bionx, but still quiet enough. I think you'd be happy with one.
Thanks. The Bionx is certainly very quiet, silent in fact, but I'd rather go for reliability than silence! The only misgiving I have about the KTM is the battery size, which at 47v, 8.8ah, is slightly less than my Rose at 48v,8.8ah. My most used rides are about 23 miles with several long, steep hills and the battery level on the Rose gets dangerously low as I approach the last short but fairly steep hill I have to climb to reach home - never run out of power yet but it has been close. Maybe the Panasonic motor makes more efficient use of the battery power?

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Reactions: jdallan

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
If this new oxygen bike can be derestricted to do 27 mhp it must be more than 270 rpm.and it still is the best climber then I guess it runs at a lot of amps? 30?
how is the climbing ability of the panasonic motor vs the neo dapu hubs?

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
jdallan, I can certainly vouch for both the performance and battery duration. I realise that you have checked out what I had written, but linking directly to this udpdate, you will see that the battery is hopefully more than adequate. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/2014-ktm-e-cross-p-review.17969/#post-222253 Scrolling down the page a bit further, the next long ride on also gave superb results.
EddiePJ - With these performance figures it would certainly be more than enough for my usage. Many thanks for your very useful, in-depth review.

Jim

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
EddiePJ - With these performance figures it would certainly be more than enough for my usage. Many thanks for your very useful, in-depth review.
Jim
I'd hate for you just to take my word for it, and I'd really suggest that you try one first. :)

how is the climbing ability of the panasonic motor vs the neo dapu hubs?
Not my videos, but riding up this 1 mile long hill on the KTM, my time was 4mins 22 secs, compared with 4 mins 41 secs on the BH Xtrem with it's Dapu motor.
The Panasonic somehow also felt more linear in it's power delivery and left me grinning all the way up. Frustratingly the BH is still off the road, as I'd loved to have done a couple of side by side runs up it.

My best time on the Haibike with it's Bosch motor, is 5mins 02 secs

Crap quality, but it gives you an idea.

Perhaps a better, and shorter clip.

Last edited: