Best ebike for 40 mile per day commute (hilly!)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Agree with others. It's not possible or desirable to average 20mph on a legal electric bike.

A Bafang BPM/CST at 270rpm, with a 500w controller should do it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thank you! I am a 5'5" female, would the 51cm frame be too big or about right? Not sure what the frame on my current bike is. I don't mind having the cross bar.
You may also wish to look at the Kudos Sonata step thru,it is probably good for your height(46cm seat tube length) and has the same spec as my Rapide.
Please look on my website....kudos cycles.com
20 mph average commute in an urban area would be a stressful commute,are you sure you want that every day,you can derstrict any bike with a king display but not recommended to make these bikes illegal.
KudosDave

Dalek

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2015
You may also wish to look at the Kudos Sonata step thru,it is probably good for your height(46cm seat tube length) and has the same spec as my Rapide.
Please look on my website....kudos cycles.com
20 mph average commute in an urban area would be a stressful commute,are you sure you want that every day,you can derstrict any bike with a king display but not recommended to make these bikes illegal.
KudosDave
Thanks KudosDave. On investigation the distance is actually 17.5 miles, and all on country roads outside of rush hour. I didn't appreciate that they cut out entirely at 15.5mph but I think even with that it might be possible to make up the time on downhill stretches as long as the bike can keep me at a decent speed on the uphill, which I'm guessing is a matter of choosing a bike capable of higher torque?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want a hub motor you will not need 1 as can be done in the lcd.

its just for bosch Yamaha brose motors that those work on ;)

others are hard wired in to the motor just those you can take of reset the bike and back to default.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Agree with others. It's not possible or desirable to average 20mph on a legal electric bike.

A Bafang BPM/CST at 270rpm, with a 500w controller should do it.
I have a bafang CST kit on a racing bike,it does a 11.5 mile commute in 37 mins no sweat on hilly terrain with a 36v 18a controller I.e. very weedy,I think it's dead easy to do what the op hopes to

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The legal speed is 15.5 mph + 10% tolerance so 17 mph

You could set a bike fitted with a kit to 17.5 mph and if you are a fit cyclist could probably average that speed. I average about 26.4 kph with the cutout speed set to 27 kph but I don't push too hard when I am wearing my city clothes.

As said above gearing your bike is very important to get the highest possible top speed on downhills and on the flat with the wind behind you.

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
20 MPH on a "hilly route" day in day out - good luck!

I ride a 13 mile each way commute with a couple of steep hills, rest is either flat or downhill and I average 16 MPH and it takes 45 minutes.
I'm not super fit but in reasonable shape and would say that I'm cycle fit.
Admittedly I ride in town, so there's traffic, traffic lights and pedestrians to contend with.
I use Map My Ride to track rides and it auto stops when I do so I think it's fairly accurate speed wise.

I just can't see 20 MPH being a reasonable speed every day even on rural roads. Maybe when the suns shining and you're feeling great!

Of course I could well be wrong and wish you luck!!!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Remember the average speed required is now only 17.5 mph. with just 1000 feet I consider that to be a pretty flat ride. A bike with an assist speed of say 25 mph minimum should see the ride done comfortably.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
20 MPH on a "hilly route" day in day out - good luck!

I ride a 13 mile each way commute with a couple of steep hills, rest is either flat or downhill and I average 16 MPH and it takes 45 minutes.
I'm not super fit but in reasonable shape and would say that I'm cycle fit.
Admittedly I ride in town, so there's traffic, traffic lights and pedestrians to contend with.
I use Map My Ride to track rides and it auto stops when I do so I think it's fairly accurate speed wise.

I just can't see 20 MPH being a reasonable speed every day even on rural roads. Maybe when the suns shining and you're feeling great!

Of course I could well be wrong and wish you luck!!!
I ride a 12 mile commute each way with mixed steep and not so steep hills and sort of agree with this: if this was the continent and you could do it in a civilised way on cycle paths it would be very easy - the things that make it tough in the UK isn't speed or range - it's crap shoulder less B roads with bad drivers (leaving one with chronic palpitations around whether the next driver coping up from behind will hit one) and the crap British weather, reducing visibility and leaving (already potholed badly maintained) roads becoming slippery. But don't give up: one gets used to it - google maps does have a bicycle option as im sure you know and you may be able to find quitter roads. also, with traffic car isn't exactly easy or fast.

Reactions: Plasmadaddy

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
Hi, thank you everyone. As mentioned earlier the ride is actually only 17.5 miles. It's all on quiet, non commuter country roads and I don't get much hassle from cars (although I have to keep an eye out for tractors!) But the roads aren't exactly super smooth. I agree that poor weather will be a challenge but I do have the option of a car if its foul out there. I can do it in 1hr 25min on a hybrid bike. Attached is elevation of the route. I think, given that it is all basically up or downhill (very little flat) that I could do it in the time on a restricted bike as long as it can get me up the hills faster than I can with legs alone. There is lots of downhill to catch up the rest of the time on as long as I'm quick on the uphill. Basically I need a bike with a good battery capable of helping push me uphill. I'm very happy to put in the pedal power too (otherwise what's the point??).

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this was up forest trails on my hai bike

had 1 bar left at end

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Basically I need a bike with a good battery capable of helping push me uphill. I'm very happy to put in the pedal power too (otherwise what's the point??).
You will need a 15AH battery, anything less, you will have to recharge it twice a day. Another thing to keep in mind: strict regime of maintenance for the mileage you have in mind.
BTW, that profile would suit a woosh Big Bear or Big Bear LS. The Big Bear may be too big for your height, the LS is more suitable for 5ft5.

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
You will need a 15AH battery, anything less, you will have to recharge it twice a day. Another thing to keep in mind: strict regime of maintenance for the mileage you have in mind.
BTW, that profile would suit a woosh Big Bear or Big Bear LS. The Big Bear may be too big for your height, the LS is more suitable for 5ft5.
Thanks trex, good to know regarding battery, I will look at those. Agree with you totally on the maintenance regime.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
JohnCade's already linked to my thread on a solution for doing the same sort of distance. It's certainly possible and great to be out on the bike rather than stuck in a car. I decided a conversion was the way to go, and if you already have a hybrid bike you like and are comfortable with I would say it could be a very good prospect for you as well. I do just over 20 miles each way, charge my 11.6Ah pack up at work and at home (although it would just do it both ways) and it takes me between an hour and an hour 10 minutes depending on the state of the roads.

Michael

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That is about the distance of my "commute". The station is at 12 km and I take the train from there but sometimes I miss the last train so need to be able to ride the 33 km back home. Sometimes when the weather is nice I do ride there and back. On my not very fast 26" wheel bike it takes me an hour and 25 minutes or so depending on wind and traffic. I think that with a 28" wheel mid drive bike with better gearing etc. that an hour and ten minutes is a realistic time. I am reasonably fit.

saint-jean-de-luz-donostia.png

Reactions: Dalek

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
JohnCade's already linked to my thread on a solution for doing the same sort of distance. It's certainly possible and great to be out on the bike rather than stuck in a car. I decided a conversion was the way to go, and if you already have a hybrid bike you like and are comfortable with I would say it could be a very good prospect for you as well. I do just over 20 miles each way, charge my 11.6Ah pack up at work and at home (although it would just do it both ways) and it takes me between an hour and an hour 10 minutes depending on the state of the roads.

Michael
Thank you Michael, your bike looks amazing. I am now seriously considering a kit, as I'd like to upgrade my bike in the future and have the option of swapping over the kit to the new one. Plus why 'waste' the bike I have? I'm not as techie as you so will probably go for an off-the-peg solution, but will take note of your spec when looking. Good to hear that the commute distance. Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the broom ;)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi, I don't really want to put up the route but I just looked at my last ride there and the route is actually only 17.5 miles (that's not what Google maps told me but I'm glad it's less). My average was 12.5mph on a normal bike and elevation was 999 feet.
OK so I reread the thread and you want to get to work in an hour or less which is an average of 28.16 kph. I can ride a "normal", "legal" pedelec at an average of 26.7 kph on my commute above when I am in shorts and tee-shirt i.e. pushing it a bit. I am building another bike ( http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/my-new-project-s.21632/#post-272260 ) with bigger wheels, better gearing, central motor, and I am sure that I will average closer to 30 kph on it even with the top motor speed limited to the legal limit of 27 kph (25 kph + 10% legal tolerance) and less work. For one it will be faster downhill and on the flat. And it will be at least as fast in the climbs. I am thinking that the central motor will make better use of the gears too. I am hoping that it will be about the same weight despite the suspension fork.