Battery query

nobrainer100

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2024
New to the site. I’m going to install a bbso2b on a Scott speedster flatbar. Can someone please give me a steer on the definitive battery 15ah and above to use with this kit? (And where to source it from)? I don’t understand all the numbers/combinations and obviously don’t want cheap cells in a non weather proof enclosure.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
When looking for a battery Greenlance.co.uk was recommended to me in here.. the numbers to look at are the controllers peak draw (Amps) and to ensure that the battery can deliver that volume of amps NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH AmpHour(Ah or mah) rating which describes capacity not output. If in doubt post links to candidates for critique.

No battery im aware of is 100% weatherproof, if ridding in wet conditions a plastic bag and elastic band is a budget option for a cover, some folk use elasticated daysack covers too, and avoid leaving the battery out on a bike in the rain.. BUT ALSO BE MINDFUL OF THE battery connection when plugging the battery back in on return to a wet bike. (switch battery off when connecting to avoid the risk of sparks)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
New to the site. I’m going to install a bbso2b on a Scott speedster flatbar. Can someone please give me a steer on the definitive battery 15ah and above to use with this kit? (And where to source it from)? I don’t understand all the numbers/combinations and obviously don’t want cheap cells in a non weather proof enclosure.
Geenlance. Use discount code WELCOME5 to get 5% discount, and try PC0FZSF08ZSV to get a free waterproof cover.

nobrainer100

Mar 3, 2024
When looking for a battery Greenlance.co.uk was recommended to me in here.. the numbers to look at are the controllers peak draw (Amps) and to ensure that the battery can deliver that volume of amps NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH AmpHour(Ah or mah) rating which describes capacity not output. If in doubt post links to candidates for critique.

No battery im aware of is 100% weatherproof, if ridding in wet conditions a plastic bag and elastic band is a budget option for a cover, some folk use elasticated daysack covers too, and avoid leaving the battery out on a bike in the rain.. BUT ALSO BE MINDFUL OF THE battery connection when plugging the battery back in on return to a wet bike. (switch battery off when connecting to avoid the risk of sparks)
Thanks but I’m no further forward.
I contacted them and they said quote
“I can confirm that all of our batteries are suitable with your motor!”…….

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
“I can confirm that all of our batteries are suitable with your motor!”…….
Probably a chat bot, what voltage motor 36v or 48v?? a quick google n browse tells me a 36v motor can draw upto 24a while a 48v controller could draw upto 18 a so if looking @36v motors your going to want a battery/bms that can deliver 25a or more ( greenlance site lists it as a bms spec.. and the one 36v16ah battery i looked at had a 20a bms, so insufficient on the face of it)

However.. If you end up with a battery with a 20a bms draw limit you will always have the option to limit the controllers output through the firmware too so you can program an 18a ceiling for example, you may need a special cable to enable this, as a hub motor user im out of my depth now..

Do you envisage a regular need to draw the maximum power into the motor? if so what are your plans for the bike..

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
All the 48v greenlance ones I have looked at are 30a max constant discharge which is enough for a standard bbs02 (25a)

nobrainer100

Mar 3, 2024

nobrainer100

Mar 3, 2024
I just need electric assistance on road (got bad knees). Not intending to push it hard, but can’t find a supplier for the bbs01 that supplies a matched battery. I wouldn’t have a clue about programming it!

goral

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2024
I just need electric assistance on road (got bad knees). Not intending to push it hard, but can’t find a supplier for the bbs01 that supplies a matched battery. I wouldn’t have a clue about programming it!
There is no such thing as a dedicated battery for your e-bike kit.
You need a e-bike battery that has the same voltage as the motor (for simplification).

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If you are not going to push it hard, then you don't need a BBS02, a BBS01 will do just fine. That reduces the maximum current required, and if you are really nervous about the battery being 'good enough', then just get a bigger one.

A 17.5Ah or 20Ah with 21700 Samsung or Panasonic cells will be good enough. As well as Greenlance you could try PSPPOWER for that spec.

There is no programming for the battery, and it is just a simple two wire connection, worst case is you have to change connectors on either motor or battery cable if they are not the same type.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
There are suppliers of kits complete with batteries for mid motors as well as hubs, Mr @Woosh advertises and contributes in here for one.. check out the ads in the margins of this page..

Reactions: Woosh

nobrainer100

Mar 3, 2024
Thanks all, really appreciate your help. Just don’t want to burn the house down. Everything I read says get the right battery don’t just guess

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks all, really appreciate your help. Just don’t want to burn the house down. Everything I read says get the right battery don’t just guess
Give mr @Woosh 1 x business day to catch me flagging his name 2x now ;) - A known trusted supplier of bikes and conversion kits (inc batteries with his kits) who can probably advise you on the best kit for your needs..

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Give mr @Woosh 1 x business day to catch me flagging his name 2x now ;) - A known trusted supplier of bikes and conversion kits (inc batteries with his kits) who can probably advise you on the best kit for your needs..
Thank you @thelarkbox .
As NealH said, you'll need a battery capable of 30A continuous discharge rate, even though you don't use all of it 99% of the time. Typically, 48V 15AH or 48V 20AH.
We don't generally support motors with more than 250W labels as a general strategy to reduce support cost.

nobrainer100

Mar 3, 2024
Thank you @thelarkbox .
As NealH said, you'll need a battery capable of 30A continuous discharge rate, even though you don't use all of it 99% of the time. Typically, 48V 15AH or 48V 20AH.
We don't generally support motors with more than 250W labels as a general strategy to reduce support cost.
Thanks…..
Your reply has flagged my typo in the original post….I’m installing a bbs01b NOT a bbs02b.
i.e. I’m looking for the kit and the appropriate battery that goes with it

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks…..
Your reply has flagged my typo in the original post….I’m installing a bbs01b NOT a bbs02b.
thanks for the clarification. In that case, the choice is down to how hilly your area is, how much range you'd like (more range, fewer charges). Batteries of current technology generally last about 5-7 years when used regularly and with a correct charger, so it pays to buy top brand cells for peace of mind, typically about 10%-15% more than ebay/aliexpress prices.
If you like to consider one of our batteries, please visit https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?batteries
There is a livechat facility on all our webpages, just have a conversation with Andy. He'll help you choose the right battery for your bike.
About the kit, we do both Bafang and Tongsheng kits, BBS01B and TSDZ2/TSDZ8. The TSDZ have torque sensor and throttle, so at the same price (more or less), you get a little more.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks…..
Before purchase, why not hit up a link to the BBS01B kit you're interested in buying? This BBS01B kit appears to be 48V, mine's 36V - I wouldn't buy this kit with battery, because aside from the seller being located in Poland, the battery looks crap:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you like to consider one of our batteries, please visit https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?batteries
What's this? Are you at last selling batteries separately now? Good move! But don't ever sell my anything for gawd's sake, you've seen what I'm like getting refunds and free replacements. If you are selling batteries separately, count yourself lucky yours have the wrong battery mount for my bike ;)

Last edited: