Batteries In Aircraft Cabin Baggage

C

Cyclezee

Now there is an electric bike battery that you can fly with and carry in your cabin baggage.

It comes from Grin Technologies and is featured in their latest video about developments at Grin.

You will need to skip the first 5 minutes for the battery info, but as always Justin's videos are worth watching in their entirety.

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the lipo packs that Justin made could easily be turned into a weapon inside an aircraft.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the amount of energy inside the lipo packs and the high discharge current makes the lipo packs a lot more capable though. Gunpowder: 3MJ/kg, Lithium battery: 1.8MJ/kg. Energy sources inside an aircraft are where the danger is. I honestly think they should be banned when carried as cabin luggage.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
the lipo packs that Justin made could easily be turned into a weapon inside an aircraft.
So can an iBook. These guys are great inventors, I really like this idea. If they can keep the costs down enough to be competitive... They are in the niche of high quality products which often price them way beyond my own personal budget.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brilliant design as ever from Justin. Given their limited knowledge of the subject, I fear that the airline authorities might react to this development by placing an overall capacity limit per passenger.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I thought the current limit is 100g of Lithium equivalent per passenger.
After last week plane hijacking, I think security will have to be even tighter at airports. Just imagine some guy with a home-made taser or stun gun, or an electric drill even, all he needs is a good power source fitted with an Anderson connector.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought the current limit is 100g of Lithium equivalent per passenger.
The limit is a capacity one, 100 Wh, but I think it's per battery and that's how Justin is getting around it. If changed to per passenger, this development will be scuppered.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are right. The current limit as per British Airways leaflet is two per person in cabin, Lithium batteries must be kept inside manufacturer's packaging and protected against accidental activation. Capacity must be less than 160WH each. This should really be sufficient for e-bikes. Wheelchair users have special arrangements.

Other recomnmendations:

 Never carry damaged batteries or equipment on aircraft.
 Spare lithium batteries are NOT PERMITTED to be in checked-in (Hold) baggage.
 Lithium batteries installed in equipment may be carried in checked-in (Hold) baggage.
 All battery powered equipment/devices must be packaged to prevent inadvertent activation and spare batteries should be in the manufacturers packaging where possible. If not, you MUST protect it from short circuit and damage. You can protect the battery from short circuit by placing electrical tape over the terminals, or by placing it in a protective case or strong plastic bag.
 Portable Electronic Devices e.g. iPads, Laptops, Kindles etc, on board aircraft must not be plugged into the in-flight power when not in use. (e.g. charging)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Pop 18650s that have been spot welded together into you mean.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would be great if Justin (or a BMSBattery or an Insat) could make the empty cases to pop 18650s into.
Pop 18650s that have been spot welded together into you mean.
But better still would be for e-bike makers to come up with some standardised battery sizes and connections, enabling short term battery rental at one's destination.

It would be a nice little earner for local bike shops in cities and holiday locations and increase e-bike sales by widening the potential market.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The first pages are very clearly explained and interesting, before we get to the advertising bit for energy tube, they should be suggested reading for new forum members.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
But better still would be for e-bike makers to come up with some standardised battery sizes and connections, enabling short term battery rental at one's destination.

It would be a nice little earner for local bike shops in cities and holiday locations and increase e-bike sales by widening the potential market.
I wish. I don't think Britons have a sound enough tendency to civic virtue to support a rental scheme. Germans maybe. We're too selfish to look after the batteries properly. They'd all get broken in a few months. Plus public liability insurance would be very costly owing to flammability of dropped/abused batteries.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Battery units don't need a BMS - if you standardized on a universally designed charger which contained the BMS you could charge all types of batteries and voltages using this connector to interconnect the battery and charger - page 12 type (17W2) - see link below and have a fully wired standard interconnecting cable then you only have to wire as many balance leads to the connector on the battery end as was necessary:

https://www.fclane.com/sites/default/files/CBC-CBCD-CBD-CBDD-CBHD-CBM Combo D Catalogue.pdf

With 17 leads you could accommodate most voltages and use one to monitor battery temperature while charging.

You would only ever need one charger. It would take care of the battery balancing. The only thing in the battery would be the cells and a fuse to protect them from short circuits and the motor controller would take care of over/under voltage/current.

With no BMS in the battery it will stay in balance longer as there is no BMS drain anymore.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the link Anotherkiwi. For sales promotion they haven't got their costing right for EV batteries using 18650s, quoting costs as $400 per kW/hr. That would mean a cost for a Nissan Leaf standard battery of £6720, but the retail price of that is under £5000, using what they call high price technology.

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wish. I don't think Britons have a sound enough tendency to civic virtue to support a rental scheme. Germans maybe. We're too selfish to look after the batteries properly. They'd all get broken in a few months. Plus public liability insurance would be very costly owing to flammability of dropped/abused batteries.
But the British don't count in pedelec terms, being only 1.9% of the European market.

So battery rental would be predominantly for the other 98%, with Germans and Dutch very strongly represented as they are the bulk of the market.

Reactions: jonathan75