Bafang BESST Programming Tool

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I don't know if this would be useful to anyone who owns the Bafang models in the description, or if it actually does any more than the simpler programming cable already does. But I spotted this on eBay and thought I'd post the link, as it may be something a forum member could use.

Bafang BESST Programming tool M600 M500 G510 BBSHD etc - NEW - Freepost

Just to make it clear, It's not me or anyone I know selling it!

Maybe somebody already owns one and can shed some light on what the features are.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its a can bus programmer and like bosch it wont work unless you have a account.

If you are a brand company and customer of BAFANG and interested to the usage of BESST, then please download this software here and contact us to get the permission to BESST.

If you are a dealer and interested to the usage of BESST, then please download this software here and contact your brand owner to get the permission to BESST.

If you are an assembler and interested to the usage of BESST, then please download this software here and contact your brand owner to get the permission to BESST.

looks like the days of the 20 quid diy programming is over for bafang motors unless you have a account.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there batts also now use can bus so i doubt 3rd party ones will work just like my batts and no recelling them either.

SPECIFICATIONS
Core Data
Rated Voltage(DCV)43
Nominal Capacity(Ah)10.4
Base Parameter
Energy Content(Wh)450
Com ProtocolUART & CAN
CellSDI-2.6 Ah
BMSSmart BMS
Voltage Scope(V)32.4-49.2
Internal Resistance(mΩ)< 200
Charge modeCC-CV (Special 5P Charger)
Continous Charge Current(A)2A & 3A
Charging time6.5h with 2A Charger / 4.5h with 3A Charger
Max Continous Discharge Current(A)18
Consumption Rate - Work≤10mA
Consumption Rate - Sleep≤400uA
Consumption Rate - Deep Sleep50uA
Operation Temperature-Charge0°-45°
Operation Temperature-Discharge-20°-60°
Storage(At 35% SOC & -10 ~ 35℃)6 Month
Matching Parameter
PositionCarrier
Dimension(mm)408*123*70
Weight(kg)3.5
Mounting typeRacktype
ChargerSpecial 5P charger
Tests & Certifications
IP-CodeIP X6
CertificationsCE / UN38.3 / MSDS / 13849 / 15194 / 62133 / PSE

• Informative

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think the likes of the DIY BBS01, BBS02 and BBSHD are safe for now, as Bafang would shoot themselves in the foot if they tried to control which batteries you could use with them. Also, these models need a degree of user programming, as they need to be tweaked to suit different donor bikes.

As for the manufactured ready built bikes with Bafang units, then I can see the programming side of things being taken out of owner's hands.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i seen this coming years ago as they want in so the likes of haibike ect would use there motors and batts and now will be a big push in the usa market now there can bus encrypted.

there is no way they will keep making the bbs range with no can bus protection there hub motors are fine as have no controllers in them so just use ur own in that case.

i can see the likes of the hd going up in price esp if production is stopped as well as there controllers.

like future motion bafang are now going to $hit all over the diy bike builders and lock everyone out of there controllers like bosch ect and force you to buy there batts what a surprise lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

To test receiving the CAN data from my M500 motor, I connected the EasyDIY display NRF52 board to the CAN module board, as seen on the picture. Then I connected the 2 wires CAN_H and CAN_L to the motor connector for the brakes. As soon I turned on the display, I received the following CAN data -- wheel speed limit of 60 km/h and wheel perimeter of 2.199m (27.5 inches MTB wheel):

I am using the JLink (that is not visible and is connected to my PC by USB) to flash the firmware on the NRF52 board. It also provides the power to this board, including the CAN module board. And then the CAN 2 wires from the Higo-B6-female cable connected on the motor brake connector:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
i seen this coming years ago as they want in so the likes of haibike ect would use there motors and batts and now will be a big push in the usa market now there can bus encrypted.

there is no way they will keep making the bbs range with no can bus protection there hub motors are fine as have no controllers in them so just use ur own in that case.

i can see the likes of the hd going up in price esp if production is stopped as well as there controllers.

like future motion bafang are now going to $hit all over the diy bike builders and lock everyone out of there controllers like bosch ect and force you to buy there batts what a surprise lol.
I can't see it myself. The DIY mid motor market is just too lucrative for Bafang to throw it all away.

I can see them dropping down to one DIY model though. Maybe offering just the BBSHD in the future, still with user programmable UART protocols.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bafang is the name for OEM supplied bikes so the Bafang site lists the available systems a manufacturer one can select, so yes proprietary will be needed with their Canbus systems.

The Bafang DIY market for motors isn't shown on the Bafang website as these are sold under the subsidiary name of 8Fun, all these are available to individuals and third party companies to sell./buy. This market is a lucrative one for Bafang so one won't see Canbus creep in here. With 8Fun the only point of return or recourse is via the vendor who sold it, Bafang will wash theirs hands of any issues arising from an individual.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Though the name 8Fun will be the main embossed name , the name Bafang still appears on labels etc .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the very fact they chose can bus only means one thing as to comply with the law and get the bike bike brands on there side esp for there new mid drives batts and displays.

they will still make hub drives but imo the bbs range will be phased out over time.

you can buy a dongle tho lmfao

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
BAFANG | Motors (bafang-e.com)

Very possible SW going by this webpage where they are named as M series motors.

It may be that they might make two controller types Canbus for OEM & uart still for the diy market.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
take the m615 it does not say if it has can bus or not as just a link to the oem page but if it has can bus you will be locked out anyway and forced to use there batts.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I expect the M series even the bbs type offered to OEM will be Canbus and the 8 Fun version uart, there will be two controller types. Time will tell, it will p*ss off the diy market who will have to opt for a Tong or another less reliable Bafang clone.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

drm toilet paper is where we are going like it or not so you cant take a dump in a applecrap device with a samsung bog roll as not compatible and flush disabled.

• :D
Reactions: guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's encouraging - looks quite a simple process to make changes, even with the newer Bafang models like the M500. If Bafang stop producing the BBSXX series, some other manufacturer will start making and selling something similarly configurable and repairable, if demand is still there, which there might not be if the newer Bafangs can be as easily updated as shown in that video, and if changes can be as extensive as the BBSXX. There seem to be so many third party parts for the BBSXX, including the controllers, that they will remain serviceable for many years yet, I think.

It's gutting that the newer Bafangs using CAN bus restrict choice of batteries...

Last edited:
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only dealers that have a account can use the besst they wont let end users have accounts!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
only dealers that have a account can use the besst they wont let end users have accounts!
LUNA seem to be selling the BESSTs, so there must be some way that some dealers provide access? Maybe Bafang aren't being as anally retentive about it all as Bosch?