Anybody converted an F Frame Moulton?

MoultonMan

Just Joined
Apr 2, 2017
Canterbury, Kent
Hi everybody!

I'm based near Canterbury in Kent and this is my first foray into the world of eBikes.

Have recently restored a 1964 F Frame Moulton (just been out on a ride - glorious weather!) and am tempted by the thought of a front wheel ebike conversion - for one thing I can chop and change between one wheel and two wheel drive!

If you don't know it the bike takes standard "Brompton" 16 x 349 rims.

I looked at GreenBikeKit but it seems their 16" wheel is a 305?

What does the team think, buy the GBK setup and rebuild in a 349 rim (or get it supplied without the rim) or buy the four components and build the wheel myself? If the latter then what components ought I be looking for to achieve a similar outcome.

Not looking to spend a fortune here, just tinkering!

Many thanks

Jeff

D

Deleted member 4366

I just looked up the cost of doing it yourself with a BMSBattery motor and controller, and a lightweight battery from BGA reworking from when i converted a Brompton. you can add about 25% to the cost of the Chinese stuff due to exchange rate change:

Rim £38.49
Tyres £43.89 (2x Schwalber Marathon Plus, needed for puncture resistance)
Spokes £10
Motor £52.74
LCD £16.03
Throttle £10
PAS £3.94
Shipping from China £30.91 plus £11.95
Duty £26.55
Battery £210
Charger £20

Total = £474.5

That doesn't include a bag for the battery. BGA reworking can make you a triangle battery to go in the space behind the seatpost. get your wige to knock up something like this on't wider (6.5 cm):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Triangle-Pouch-Bicycle-Tube-Package-Tripod-Cycling-Tools-Kit-Bag-/122118913425?var=&hash=item1c6edabd91:m:msvrUxiLfRitQmeyWYNFyQg