Am I too sensitive

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
That sucks. I got clipped by a guy who had a ******* comedy horn. To give people credit the car in front of him tried to box in him to stop him from leaving while I tried to get his door open but he drove off.

Reported it to the police but as I wasn't injured they absoloutly did not care.

e: talking about the police they're useless. I had an accident (entirely my fault and not on a e-bike) in front of a police officer. I had a huge hole in my knee and could see bone and the officer said he couldn't be bothered to help because he didn't want to do the paper work. I had to walk to the hospital.
Try not to be a middle-aged, white, heterosexual male if you want help from plod.

ttxela

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
Cambridgeshire
A few people pass a bit close for comfort, however I've been pleasantly surprised over the last year by the consideration given when passing on my route to work, lorry drivers in particular. I always give them a little wave in acknowledgement.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Gubbins

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lorry drivers I find are always professional and generally give plenty of room, they always get a thumbs up from me or flash or two of the best headlight. Worst drivers Taxis & Audi a**eh*les.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Worst drivers Taxis & Audi a**eh*les.
Never has a truer word been said on this forum.

Funny how Audi has taken over BMW as the car of choice for the w**ker of today.

Taxis are a universal constant. Something about the trade just attracts total bell ends to the job.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Looks odd to my London eyes! We tend to distinguish between proper taxis, i.e. licenced black cabs (not always black) and the others which are Minicabs.

Most black cab drivers are ok, Minicab drivers very variable and often bad.
I've spent most of my life living in london, so do recognise the differentiation you speak of.

However, I have a number of acquaintances in the trade (both black cab & minicab) and they all fall somewhere on the bell-end spectrum, mostly at the 'massive' end.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've spent most of my life living in london, so do recognise the differentiation you speak of.

However, I have a number of acquaintances in the trade (both black cab & minicab) and they all fall somewhere on the bell-end spectrum, mostly at the 'massive' end.
There's a second differentiation within black cabs of course, those operating in the central area and those attached to some peripheral zones. Those in the centre do have more of the bell-ends, but peripheral ones like those in my outer London Borough of Croydon tend to be better. Of course their working circumstances are generally much more pleasant, that probably accounting for the difference.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have to pop one in for Audi owners. I like my A1 and don't consider myself to be a winker, at least not in the sense that you mean..
It a bit like all the grumbles about bike riders not obaying the rules of the road being based on the activities of the small minority of idiot cyclists.. who possibly may drive audis as well..

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I have to pop one in for Audi owners. I like my A1 and don't consider myself to be a winker, at least not in the sense that you mean..
It a bit like all the grumbles about bike riders not obaying the rules of the road being based on the activities of the small minority of idiot cyclists.. who possibly may drive audis as well..
Yes, of course we are talking generalisations and there are always exceptions.

What I will add though is that if I see somebody in my rearview mirror "right up my chuff", chances are it'll be an Audi. Ten years ago it would likely have been a BMW, so there must be some sort of 'gravitational force' that attracts a certain type of driver to a certain type of vehicle.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Yes, of course we are talking generalisations and there are always exceptions.

What I will add though is that if I see somebody in my rearview mirror "right up my chuff", chances are it'll be an Audi. Ten years ago it would likely have been a BMW, so there must be some sort of 'gravitational force' that attracts a certain type of driver to a certain type of vehicle.
Around here I get all sorts tailgating me.. I think it's cos I am an old fart driving around at 30mph which many find annoying. Doesn't seem to matter that it's a 30 limit..
The audis that I see being driven agressivly, doing u-turns and stopping to chat with another coming the other way thereby totally blocking the road are usually high powered ones with blacked out windows.. and quite a few mercs seem to be joining this club.
It's the same type of driver in these cars, many of whome seem to be above the law and do just what they like.
I am not sure why audis have become their car of choice cos they are expensive.. especially for people who dont appear to have a job...

• Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I'm sure it's directly connected with the type of advertising. When BMW used to run ads about their cars "rapidly appearing in rear view mirrors and quickly passing", we got certain types buying them. Now it's Audi who have more speed biased advertising.

Moths to a flame.

Reactions: danielrlee

NJS

Pedelecer
Oct 14, 2017
Uk
Around here I get all sorts tailgating me.. I think it's cos I am an old fart driving around at 30mph which many find annoying. Doesn't seem to matter that it's a 30 limit..
The audis that I see being driven agressivly, doing u-turns and stopping to chat with another coming the other way thereby totally blocking the road are usually high powered ones with blacked out windows.. and quite a few mercs seem to be joining this club.
It's the same type of driver in these cars, many of whome seem to be above the law and do just what they like.
I am not sure why audis have become their car of choice cos they are expensive.. especially for people who dont appear to have a job...
They make 'good' fleet cars, are usually well maintained and then hit the market after 2 or 3 years at 1/2 to 1/3rd their original price.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I used to commute from the Midlands to Southampton down the A34. I like to make progress but was regularly tailgated by members of the VAG family. Audis were the worst offenders in general but tatty Passats were the most common.
The worst cars for lane discipline were Mercs.