350w front hub can i use it with aluminium forks?

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Hi urgent advice needed please I have a MXUS 36v x 350 front hub motor, this will be fitted to XCT SR Suntour Forks I know they are aluminium as I have done the magnet test. Reading on forums in America it seems it's a NO NO but they are using hubs 500w to1000w and it seems off road and vigorous cycling. So would anyone on here care to put my mind at rest on this subject. My cycling is solely for commuting no off road activities or jumps just off road allocated cycle paths and no break neck speeds ect. The bike is an aluxx 6000 Giant Boulder and as mentioned my forks which seem well made, sturdy and in excellent condition are XCT SR Suntour.

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated
Attached Files:

Attachments

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi urgent advice needed please I have a MXUS 36v x 350 front hub motor, this will be fitted to XCT SR Suntour Forks I know they are aluminium as I have done the magnet test. Reading on forums in America it seems it's a NO NO but they are using hubs 500w to1000w and it seems off road and vigorous cycling. So would anyone on here care to put my mind at rest on this subject. My cycling is solely for commuting no off road activities or jumps just off road allocated cycle paths and no break neck speeds ect. The bike is an aluxx 6000 Giant Boulder and as mentioned my forks which seem well made, sturdy and in excellent condition are XCT SR Suntour.

Any suggestions and advice much appreciated
Attached Files:
I was also uneasy about this and though only a 250w motor I fitted a torque arm fromCyclezee, Beautifully made and around £13 for peace of mind.

Reactions: Cyclezee

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
It looks like this

Google ezee bike to find his email

Pat

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I used a Q128, running around 350 watts with those forks (or similar) for about 1000 miles. I'm a big chap, and I often had my 5 y.o. boy on board as well.

I did not use a torque arm.

Not a sign of trouble.

Not recommending it, just saying.

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
apart from buying a torque arm from ezzee which I don't mind can you buy these on line in the uk or cycle shops say Halfords?

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
No u can't buy this from halfords. It is quite specific for ebike.

Sorry to say just get it from Cyclezee

Pat

C

Cyclezee

D

Deleted member 4366

He sells them on Ebay, but you can get them directly from him as well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-Arm-Plate-Sets-for-Electric-Assisted-Bikes-Pedelecs-/261377240300?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item3cdb4c2cec

350w is not a big deal for those forks as long as you do it properly. The important thing is that the first washer sits in the dimple around the drop-out (lawyers lips) without touching the edge, otherwise no torque arm will save you because you'll pop the drop-out when you tighten the nut before you even fire up the motor. Here's my set of those forks with a motor run at nearly 2kW. It has a torque arm on each side. Attach yours to the disc mount rather than using the clamp:

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Hi

Thank you for the reply I shall go ahead and order one, but firstly I see by the images how to fit the kit to that section of the bike but can you tell me how exactly does this work or what it actually prevents happening, my front wheel is designed for quick release, obviously that wouldn't be the case once fitted. Can you also tell me do I only require the one kit or do I need two?

Thank's

Mark

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
He sells them on Ebay, but you can get them directly from him as well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-Arm-Plate-Sets-for-Electric-Assisted-Bikes-Pedelecs-/261377240300?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item3cdb4c2cec

350w is not a big deal for those forks as long as you do it properly. The important thing is that the first washer sits in the dimple around the drop-out (lawyers lips) without touching the edge, otherwise no torque arm will save you because you'll pop the drop-out when you tighten the nut before you even fire up the motor. Here's my set of those forks with a motor run at nearly 2kW. It has a torque arm on each side. Attach yours to the disc mount rather than using the clamp:

Last edited by a moderator:

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
thanks D8veh so do I need two sets or just the one also to add my brakes are not dics they are tecko block brakes

C

Cyclezee

Hi

Thank you for the reply I shall go ahead and order one, but firstly I see by the images how to fit the kit to that section of the bike but can you tell me how exactly does this work or what it actually prevents happening, my front wheel is designed for quick release, obviously that wouldn't be the case once fitted. Can you also tell me do I only require the one kit or do I need two?

Thank's

Mark
Hi Mark,

The motor wheel won't be quick release.

As the motor axle has 10mm flats, the torque plate fits over the axle and is a close against the flats to prevent any rotation of the axle within the drop outs and stop possible wheel spin out.

A set consists of 3 arms, but you will only need to use one of the 2 different length crescent shaped plates depending on where the free end is to be attached to the fork. If there is no fixing point available you can use a 'P' clip or similar to clamp around the fork to secure it.....hope that make sense?

You would only need one set.

D

Deleted member 4366

You only need one torque arm. fit it on the brake side like this:

The quick release axles are only 9mm, so you'll have to carefully file out your drop-outs to 10mm wide. While you''re at it, you should file them a bit deeper too to re-centralise the axle, which is 12mm dia milled to 10mm.

This shows the problem and solution:

Dropouts2.jpg

Reactions: jerrysimon

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Sorry I didn't get back to you but I see you got the info you needed, what a great forum!