2014 KTM Macina 10

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
With the help of David from electrifyingbicycles, and Col from KTM industries, the KTM Macina Cross 10, was found to be the best replacement for my wife’s (unfortunately) oversized Macina Cross Nexus 8..
1-DSC01738.jpg

the new bike comes in ladies ‘low step’ frame, which could be a unisex really, as I can’t imagine that it alters the stiffness very greatly....maybe it could just be called the ‘old persons frame’ and call a spade a spade

1-P1030581.JPG

without the Nexus 8 hub, and its complexities, it loses about 1.5 kgs in rear end weight (something we could all do with pre Xmas), and the 10 speed XT Deore is very smooth....it also replaces the hydraulic rim brakes with slightly upmarket Deore hydraulic discs, which again, add a slightly classy-er feel than the rim brakes did

on the other hand, the new smaller chain ring design, creates a completely different feel to the power of the bike that some folks might not like.....being very used to my ‘old’ model Macina Race, when flicking between Eco/Tour/Race settings on the new bike, it felt like there was something wrong, and that there was no power there......it would be interesting to hear other users responses here, as ultimately I dont thing that there is very much difference, but that the smaller front ring spreads the torque more smoothly, rather than the steep rise of power that the big front ring created.....obviously kinder to the chain and drive train too, and requiring seemingly more cadence than torque, to kick the Bosch unit into life....or is this an illusion??

any more academic conclusions to these thoughts, would be appreciated

...out of some sort of masochistic interest, I rode both bikes in sequence (NOT together) up Muswell Hill in Nth London, which ramps up twice before the roundabout at the top....firstly the Macina 10, which I would say needed the top Turbo input to maintain 12 mph on the worst bits....on the other hand the old Race, didn’t seem to need the Turbo setting, but maybe the significant word here is “seem”. Has anybody else experienced this?

it would interesting to learn how to change a chain, on this new model, as the front ring is encased???
5-P1030590.JPG

the new battery fitting is a big improvement, as it clicks into place without needing to put the key in first.....on the other hand, one could ride the bike with the battery operating and UNLOCKED, and not too difficult then to park the bike and forget that the battery is not locked on ( a £500 big mistake).....I had a feeling that Bosch’s original design is a bit safer as the battery is always locked IF you can remove the key

2-P1030584.JPG

without all the bibs and bobs of mudguards and rack, toe clips, bar ends that I have fitted, the bike weighed in at 18kgs with my wife’s super-accurate scales, (fortunately, she is away!) with no battery, and when lifted, felt well balanced, which the Nexus hub bike never did, as the rear end almost needed both hands (said the bishop to the actress).
as it happens, the bike is littered with M5 and M7 tapped threads so all the extras fit with a bit of fettling, and there is no need to spend the extra on the trekking type model, if you dont mind a bit of playing around

the biggest problem was fitting the handle bar bag attachment to the Intuvia HMI, but after a good nights sleep AND a strong coffee....sort of success
3-P1030586.JPG

4-P1030588.JPG

nice to see that Shimano have gone back to giving a person some idea of what number gear they are in, rather than this seeming 'lust' for a 'clean' appearance....showing my age here

so far, so very good, and to my mind, the best value KTM, especially with the 400 battery, and so the better forks, and other kit that are included

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Seems the new Bosch drive does ride a bit different to the old one.

Reading Barry's review, I think I would prefer my 2013 'Classic" version.

Whatever Bosch say, I doubt mine will be in production for long, the 2014 looks so much neater so I doubt many customers faced with a choice would opt for the older one.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
problem is, that we have one of each Rob, so it is easy to compare and contrast

if you just piled on to a new model, you would feel it silky smooth and well modulated....and not forgetting that the Cross has 28" rims (or are they 700C??), as opposed to the 26" wide tyred Macina Race

in fact the Cross could almost be considered a 29er with its ease of roll

interesting that Nexus hub problems are being spoken off at this moment, as the single chain ring 10 speed derailleur seems the best option when service issues arise

problem is, that we have one of each Rob, so it is easy to compare and contrast

if you just piled on to a new model, you would feel it silky smooth and well modulated....and not forgetting that the Cross has 28" rims (or are they 700C??), as opposed to the 26" wide tyred Macina Race

in fact the Cross could almost be considered a 29er with its ease of roll
The cross has 700c wheels

700c is identical to a 29er, the tyres are interchangeable.

700c is used by road / hybrid bikes, and 29er is an MTB term. But they are the same size wheel.

Hope that clears that up a bit.

also just to point out to others who might be reading this.

The Macina Cross is supplied as standard with no mudguards or lights.

If you want a Macina Cross with mudguards you can upgrade your bike, with your dealer. Or we actually do a bike with that exact spec.... its called the Macina Sport, and there are a number of options in that bike depending if you want the active or performance line Bosch drive systems.

Macina Sport

FLI Distribution - 2014 KTM MACINA Sport 400Wh

Macina Sport Plus

FLI Distribution - 2014 KTM MACINA Sport Plus 400Wh