Wisper Alpino 706 c2010 model, Key will not turn past Off position

csorel

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2024
The bike has been little used (under 200kms) and has been in a dry lockup garage for many years. When I tried to get it going (we want to give it away to a needy lady in our retirement village), I was able to connect the charger which showed an orange light for an hour or so and then a green light - so disconnected. This model has the key integrated into the battery casing (extract from Manual with pictures of lock attached) - but I can't turn the key past the Off position, so no Indicator lights on top of the battery, nor response from the handlebar control unit On/Off button. If you think this might be a problem with the lock - can I use Silicone spray into the keyhole or lock casing? What about WD40? Or must I use graphite powder? NB The lock also functions as the On/Off switch for the battery – might spray be a risk of damaging the On/Off switch. Other troubleshooting suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Did you charge the battery on or off the bike? if off the bike the chances are the battery is not quite all the way home and the locking lug is not aligned with its hole correctly. A firm shove with the heel of your palm should sort it.. Its a snug fit by design ..

a squirt of lube or wd40 would be ok but i would avoid conductive graphite.

csorel

Just Joined
Oct 15, 2024
I charged the battery while it was ON the bike. Thanks for the comment on spray lube YES, and graphite NO. Charlie

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If I am reading correctly and its a 13-14 yr old bike and battery with only 200 km on the clock that took about an hour to fully charge. Fixing the lock might not be the end of your issues ;(

ist things 1st tho.. if a lube fails to get results? Pull the battery and work the lock gently with the key to ensure it operates fully before putting back on the bike, A sheet of paper slid between the battery and its base/home can record the lock lug position and confirm if its sat correctly where it can engage or allow you to jiggle it home if necessary. rub a pencil over the lug end if needed..

Whisper contribute in here and appear to offer good support for older machines even in 2nd or 3rd hand ownership, so if still struggling during the working day its worth a call or email imho

When the battery is off the bike and the lock is working as expected Take the opportunity to take a proper meter reading of the battery voltage for a health indication, With the battery turned ON. Ideally you will get a 42v reading, on battery level indicators and even bike voltage readings are not as reliable as a meter reading

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The bike has been little used (under 200kms) and has been in a dry lockup garage for many years. When I tried to get it going (we want to give it away to a needy lady in our retirement village), I was able to connect the charger which showed an orange light for an hour or so and then a green light - so disconnected. This model has the key integrated into the battery casing (extract from Manual with pictures of lock attached) - but I can't turn the key past the Off position, so no Indicator lights on top of the battery, nor response from the handlebar control unit On/Off button. If you think this might be a problem with the lock - can I use Silicone spray into the keyhole or lock casing? What about WD40? Or must I use graphite powder? NB The lock also functions as the On/Off switch for the battery – might spray be a risk of damaging the On/Off switch. Other troubleshooting suggestions greatly appreciated.
IIRC, you push the key in to turn it. The whole lock has to move back a bit before it will rotate.

Advertisers