What's your protection against cold?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Hello there,

It's 0C in London, it's so cold I feel like I'm going to die in the road. The wind on my face is killing me.

I decided to swap to a full face helmet in order to protect myself against the cold:
LS2 FF351.1 Single Mono Motorcycle Helmet: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Tried it today, and it's DAMN HEAVY!!

But it protected me well against the cold on my face. And as bonus, I noticed the car gave me much more space on the road, and let me pass.

Woooa, I wouldn't have think about it, but a full face helmet gives you more than just crash protection, it also grab other people attention and they give me room to pass!

I look like him on the road :cool:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
yet again its hard to decide if you are serious :D

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I find a fur hat (bought in Canada one winter - they know about cold out there!) works wonders for keeping my head warm. My perpetual problem on the bike is keeping my feet warm, I've yet to find anything that allows enough freedom to pedal and yet still keeps them warm. I'm at the point of wiring up some electric insoles I made years ago when I was flying aeroplanes with unheated cockpits...................

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
And talking of goose fat. In Victorian times in South Lincs, a severe winter cold was often treated by a layer of goose fat rubbed on the chest and back. I was talking to an old lady once who remembered treating her husband this way, many years earlier. "Did it do any good?" I asked. She replied "no, he went downhill very fast after that." I struggled to keep a straight face...
Question. How come motorcyclists can have a helmet that keeps the frozen air off the face, but cyclists can not? I know that when peddling, more ventilation is needed, bt perhaps that could be arranged. Perhaps something like the earlier motorcycle helmets that covered the ears but not the lower jaw. Worn with a neck warmer, and a transparent visor that come just below the nose, this could work. I have an old one somewhere, and I might give it a try.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I'm at the point of wiring up some electric insoles I made years ago when I was flying aeroplanes with unheated cockpits...................
Better keep your tootsies out of any puddles then jeremy - Wouldn't want to light up like a christmas tree, even at this time of year :p

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
My perpetual problem on the bike is keeping my feet warm, I've yet to find anything that allows enough freedom to pedal.
Well after 35 years of motorcycling the best thing I have found is also the cheapest.

Pair of light thermal socks, then a couple of super market shopping bags on each foot (1 if its not really cold) then a pair of walking socks. Done 200 miles or more along motorway at well below freezing wearing this and feet stay warm. Still plenty of movement so dont see why it wont work on a bicycle.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Question. How come motorcyclists can have a helmet that keeps the frozen air off the face, but cyclists can not?
Yea can see no reason why full face MTB helmets which are very similar to motorbike helmets could not have a visor but none of them appear to exist.

Mind you if its real cold usually end up with the visor at least part open to stop it misting up.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Well after 35 years of motorcycling the best thing I have found is also the cheapest.

Pair of light thermal socks, then a couple of super market shopping bags on each foot (1 if its not really cold) then a pair of walking socks. Done 200 miles or more along motorway at well below freezing wearing this and feet stay warm. Still plenty of movement so dont see why it wont work on a bicycle.
Thanks for that, next cold snap I'll give it a go. Riding around the day before yesterday in freezing fog wasn't much fun.

BTW, rather than a full face helmet I've found that never shaving works pretty well at keeping your face warm. As I've not shaved for the past 30 odd years I've never really had a problem with the cold...............

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I used to ride my recumbent trike in sub zero temps of a night and my feet would freeze, I started using the 2 socks with a plastic bag in between, it works a treat.
Only thing better was when I put a full shell over the trike :)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
And as bonus, I noticed the car gave me much more space on the road, and let me pass.
Just as long as the cops don't take more interest it's all good :p

My perpetual problem on the bike is keeping my feet warm, I've yet to find anything that allows enough freedom to pedal and yet still keeps them warm. I'm at the point of wiring up some electric insoles I made years ago when I was flying aeroplanes with unheated cockpits...................
Easy peasy that one ... I haven't had these off my feet for weeks.

Shimano MW81 MTB Shoes - Tweeks Cycles

Wear them with ankle length socks and pop one of these neoprene waterproof trouser collars over the top which Keith at Liquid Blue clothing made for me as a special order (£7.50 a pair) :

20121213_214148[1].jpg

2 pairs of Embers merino socks underneath. Rode out in -5 degrees before windchill in the wee small hours last night and was absolutely toasty. That was with roubaix 3/4 bibshorts which covered my knees (the only bit of my lower half that ever really gets cold) and cotton cargo shorts over the top. Baulked at the price of the boots initially but have never grudged a penny since. Absolutely cracking, super-comfortable to ride in. I fitted the cleats for my pedals but you don't have to and can just leave the plate on if you don't want to use them.

Silk balaclava under the helmet. I am OK as long as my ears don't get too cold.
Yup ... or Merino is even warmer - and now tested to be fine in sub-zero. Merino neckwarmer from Embers pulled up under/over nose and a warm beanie hat (Sealskinz / Ronhill etc) to make a balaclava. This one is designed to come right down over your ears and has silver reflective detailing too :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ronhill-flash-beanie/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk&gclid=CKXBlNCymLQCFefMtAodqlAA6g

I sometimes wear a cap with LEDs on the peak because when you park up in the dark it's an effective torch for your bag to find your keys, but not needed for warmth. You can wear a balaclava / combo all under helmet just as easily if you ride with one - and it's very toasty.

Last edited:

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I done the freezing fog commute to work ride Wednesday morning at 6.30am and evening, my winter attire is a motorcycle thin balaclava, with a thick fluorescent 'snood', a Luftwaffe scarf.!! cycle helmet is a BMX type adorned with Scotch Fluorescent tape,a pair of safety glasses courtesy of my works,a Fluorescent jacket
( same as the Police type)which is really warm and wind proof, courtesy of my works, and a pair of Kevlar reinforced light weight motorcycle gloves from my motorcycling days.
A thick pair of tracksuit bottoms over my trousers, pair of thermal socks,Campri boots, and to top off, a pair of hi-vis ankle bands....2 rear lights,and 2 Halogen front lights...

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I find a car's good :eek:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Made me chuckle, that. Looks a bit like a prophylactic for an elephant........... :)
I'll never be able to look at them in the same way again ;) Thankfully they just look like part of the boots when you put them on !

and a pair of Kevlar reinforced light weight motorcycle gloves from my motorcycling days.
Do they actually work and can you feel your gears / brakes etc OK ? I was on the point of putting diving gloves on last night when 2 pairs of liners and so-called "Winter Gloves" left me with fingers so numb they throbbed when I got back inside. Completely hopeless at those temperatures. Lower 1/2, body and even face were warm but the hands went like ice blocks in about 5 minutes.

I find a car's good :eek:
No staying power some people :eek: