What do flashing lights on Bosch battery mean?

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
Does anyone have a list of the various flashing patterns and what they mean? I think I've read somewhere that if the 1st, 3rd and 5th LEDs flash that indicates a fault in the battery (and probably means a new battery is required). No lights at all also means a dead battery. But I've got one battery on which all 5 LED lights flash when the battery button is pressed. Anyone know what that means?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
is there any error codes on the display?

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
No. Turning on controller makes battery lights flash but no e-assist. Pressing battery 'on' button makes light flash as well but does not turn on controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That pattern is not described in the dealer manual. You need to take the battery to a dealer that can do battery diagnostics, which they will no doubt charge you about £40 for. I doubt that of them would dare to fix the battery, even if they knew what's wrong with it. Is it an old battery. If so, I think I'd have a peek inside. They are a bit tricky to open though without leaving marks around the join.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If it does come to it, Merlin have some good deals on new ones.

I recently replaced our 8 year old 400wh with a new 500wh for £349.
The old battery wasn't dead, but clearly ageing. The older ones are getting scarcer and I was getting a bit anxious that I'd be able to source a replacement at all in a couple of years time, so decided this should keep the bike on the road for another 8-10 years (not sure I'll be on the road that long?)

Of course, if your battery is relatively new that won't seem like a good proposition.

We really enjoy this bike, but If a replacement bike is needed it won't be Bosch driven for the reasons often spelt out on this forum.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Push and hold down the battery button for 10 seconds or more sometimes does some kind of reset.

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, the ebike is 12 years old. I have several identical ebikes as they were left over from a project (and have been put to good use in the intervening years). Many of the batteries have now stopped functioning (just shut down, won't charge and no LEDs lighting up), two batteries are still functioning OK and then there is this odd one on which all 5 LEDs flash. It's clearly not 'dead' like the other ones but I can't get it to function (yes, I've tried the 10 second reset).

Yes, the new 500ah replacement for £349 is a good option (I assume this is from Merlin) and I'll probably get a couple of these to keep some of the ebikes functioning (as they are still good ebikes) - the others are useful for spare parts (as the controllers, thumb switches, etc eventually stop working). I've only had one electric motor that has died.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
500ah no chance lol there 500w and 13ah tho the new smart batts will not work with the older motors now, done on purpose of course but my bike is now nearly 11 years old.

Steveu

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2007
Oxfordshire
LOL. yes slip of the finger - 500wh. The battery in question is a genuine Bosch battery and works with the 12 year old bikes (I have tried one).

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can get 3rd party ones that will work but not cheap and last time i tried they wont post it :rolleyes:

Advertisers