What battery? (to replace swytch)

jcaira

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2023
So I have the remains of a Swytch Kit, basically just the hub and the battery. I replaced the controller with a KT controller and all the wiring to make it work. Recently the battery isn't quite lasting long enough for my commute. I've had it for quite a few years so it's had a lot of use.

What would be a good replacement for the swytch battery, preferably one that will fit in the same case?
Thanks

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Er. yeah, not an ad i would pursue, the capacity claims are BS, and no mention of the discharge current limit that i could see on the page at all. a less than 1.5kg battery with 120AH capacity is way too good to be true, 13-15AH perhaps if built with real quality branded cells, and probably heavier??.. I am no battery expert and hope i am proven wrong here but my BS detector is screaming loudly
Did delivery time out the complaints window ??

jcaira

Sep 14, 2023
Right so my issues are probably due to a rubbish battery. What should I look for to find something decent and how much should I expect to be paying? A link would be greatly appreciated.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Right so my issues are probably due to a rubbish battery. What should I look for to find something decent and how much should I expect to be paying? A link would be greatly appreciated.
A decent 36v battery is around £180 upwards for a medium sized one. You can get some good ones for a bit less from Aliexpress, Ebay and Amazon, but you must use a bit of logic and you should always be skeptical. What do the reviews say? What's on Google about them? How many reviews are there and what do they say and do they look genuine?

There are a couple of good suppliers we use if they have one that suits you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buy a battery with v.g cells it will last many years and perform likewise.

My 2.5 diy bottle battery with HG2 3000mah cells is only 6ah but easily manages 30 miles/50km with 35- 40% remaining.

jcaira

Sep 14, 2023
but you must use a bit of logic and you should always be skeptical. What do the reviews say? What's on Google about them? How many reviews are there and what do they say and do they look genuine?
Or maybe ask on a reputable forum and ignore comments like:
Chuck that stupid Swytch bag and get any 36v battery you want.
:p

Thanks all for the suggestions. Its quite tricky to work out what is decent or not. I guess I was a bit naive to think a battery that cheap would be ok.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Or maybe ask on a reputable forum and ignore comments like:

:p
I said "buy any battery you want", not any battery. Pardon me for thinking that you wouldn't want to buy a battery from an untrusted and unverified source at a ridiculously low price that normally wouldn't even cover the shipping cost and would indicate that the battery could only be made from recycled cells of unknown life and quality.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It is. That is why I gave you the link to what in my opinion is a good deal.

Battery you bought is a scam for sure.
That one is very expensive for what it is, even more so when you have to pay import charges. How much did you pay in total?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That one is very expensive for what it is, even more so when you have to pay import charges. How much did you pay in total?
Expensive? Can you post something cheaper with good cells?

I received two batteries from PSW and didn't pay any import charges, but I guess there is always a risk.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Expensive? Can you post something cheaper with good cells?

I received two batteries from PSW and didn't pay any import charges, but I guess there is always a risk.
How do I know what's cheaper, when you won't tell me how much you paid?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
OK, that's not so bad. When I checked, it said $200. I didn't realise the dollar had dropped so low. They're out of stock anyway, so it's all moot.
They come and go... there is plenty to choose from.

Even better:

15Ah £150

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Afternoon,

Does anyone know which bottle batteries are compatible with this Yose kit ?
The frame one is too fat.

What do you mean by compatible? All 36v batteries will work with that kit. Ideally, you need one that'll give at least 20 amps.