What a good feeling...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Having bought the bike, and the numerous extras needed (lights, lock, helmet, mudguards, etc.), this morning was pencilled in as my first ride-to-work day.

Happily, was dry - but pretty cold. Set out, my front light doing everything d8veh promised for it in the dark, no actual ice as far as I could tell. First major traffic interaction - it is a very quiet area really - and managed to get across the big roundabout without stopping. Then a long gentle downward slope - 20+mph very comfortably. Street sweeping man in full yellow reflective gear head to toe standing in the gutter. He looked my way and, so it seemed, right at me. I carried on. Just at the point of commitment, he started to walk out into the road in front of me. Thankfully he noticed just in time, and I hadn't actually sent myself over the handlebars.

Last bit, no vehicles at all this morning, just another pedestrian who walked across without looking up from her mobile's screen, but I had anticipated that many metres away and it was not a problem.

Then into work. With lovely warm glow, cold hands, freezing face. Satisfaction that I had done it. For an overweight ageing bloke, very out of condition, who hadn't sat on a bicycle for more years than I can remember (possibly over 30) until a couple of weeks or so ago, it was a minor achievement. One I could not sensibly have managed without the electric assistance. It has certainly made me look forward to slightly warmer weather and travel further afield.

One of the people who works in the same place is a very keen cyclist - yes, carbon fibre frame and all - he took it for a spin at lunch time. Seemed quite impressed by the smoothness and appreciated the assistance up the very steep hill.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Having bought the bike, and the numerous extras needed (lights, lock, helmet, mudguards, etc.), this morning was pencilled in as my first ride-to-work day.

Happily, was dry - but pretty cold. Set out, my front light doing everything d8veh promised for it in the dark, no actual ice as far as I could tell. First major traffic interaction - it is a very quiet area really - and managed to get across the big roundabout without stopping. Then a long gentle downward slope - 20+mph very comfortably. Street sweeping man in full yellow reflective gear head to toe standing in the gutter. He looked my way and, so it seemed, right at me. I carried on. Just at the point of commitment, he started to walk out into the road in front of me. Thankfully he noticed just in time, and I hadn't actually sent myself over the handlebars.

Last bit, no vehicles at all this morning, just another pedestrian who walked across without looking up from her mobile's screen, but I had anticipated that many metres away and it was not a problem.

Then into work. With lovely warm glow, cold hands, freezing face. Satisfaction that I had done it. For an overweight ageing bloke, very out of condition, who hadn't sat on a bicycle for more years than I can remember (possibly over 30) until a couple of weeks or so ago, it was a minor achievement. One I could not sensibly have managed without the electric assistance. It has certainly made me look forward to slightly warmer weather and travel further afield.

One of the people who works in the same place is a very keen cyclist - yes, carbon fibre frame and all - he took it for a spin at lunch time. Seemed quite impressed by the smoothness and appreciated the assistance up the very steep hill.
Not such a minor achievement.. Well Done!! Hope you have somewhere at work to keep it safe...

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
What younger proper cyclists probably dont realise, and also us older non cyclists, is that its not that you cant do hills, its that you think you cant do hills! Its 90% in your head!
Even with an electric bike I still have a slight "Oh No!" feeling when I see a big hill.
So I would say to you Oyster.. You've done the hard bit and its downhill from now on... Unless you run out of battery in which case its uphill even if its downhill...;)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Well done oyster. Not sure if your commute is in town or through the (lovely) Pembrokeshire countryside, but I find the greatest satisfaction is looking across from my cycle route (separate cycle path) and seeing the traffic crawling bumper to bumper. Arriving quicker than my car driving colleagues.
You also get a smug warm feeling that you are doing your bit for the environment too (as well as saving yourself money)

Reactions: LeighPing

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well done oyster. Not sure if your commute is in town or through the (lovely) Pembrokeshire countryside, but I find the greatest satisfaction is looking across from my cycle route (separate cycle path) and seeing the traffic crawling bumper to bumper. Arriving quicker than my car driving colleagues.
You also get a smug warm feeling that you are doing your bit for the environment too (as well as saving yourself money)
Town - but the route I chose today only really has significant traffic for one bit in the middle. There is another obvious route on a cycle path alongside what is probably the busiest road. And, just in case anyone thinks otherwise, my commute is pretty short!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To make your ride feel better or I should say for you to feel better wear a pair of base layer silk ski gloves under your normal gloves and a Buff to cover up to just over your nose, both work for me and makes for a more comfortable ride whether commuting, running errands or pleasure riding whilst keeping then cold and wind at bay.

Reactions: Parky

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
To make your ride feel better or I should say for you to feel better wear a pair o bas layer silk ski gloves under your normal gloves and a Buff to cover up to just over your nose both work for me and makes for a more comfortable ride whether commuting, running errands or pleasure riding.
Great advice. I have found the Aldi winter cycling gloves at £4.99 surprisingly warm, no need for liner gloves.
I also use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263138543834, when the temperature is 0deg or above, any lower and it's the full face balaclava

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
:D
Well done.
I treated my bike to a Pashley Ding Dong bell. It's big, chrome and has the most sonorous tone ever. Of course it's absolutely no bloody good if the soppy twit walking out in front of you is looking at their 'phone with headphones in.:eek:
You could fit an airhorn

Reactions: Parky

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Great advice. I have found the Aldi winter cycling gloves at £4.99 surprisingly warm, no need for liner gloves.
I also use one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263138543834, when the temperature is 0deg or above, any lower and it's the full face balaclava
Got a pair of sealskinz gloves on special offer. They feel nice, and are reasonably warm. Enough for my current hand needs. :)

It is face/head that have been coldest so far. Will follow up suggestions, thanks.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
But the rest were nothing worse than cold. Definitely better than driving.
I went down with the cold/cough/flu type symptoms over the new year. Got it properly as 111 sent an Ambulance, and the Ambulance paramedics said they weren't happy for me to stay at home, so I spent the rest of the day in Hospital on a variety of drugs. Upshot was when well enough to go back to work, I drove the first few days. Bloody awful. There's a junction and roundabout where people habitually stop even though the road's clear and a 30mph speed camera which the vast majority drive past at 18-20mph. I couldn't cope and am so much happier back on my bike. Has the added bonus of making me breath harder, so I'm coughing and clearing the crap off my chest too. Definitely better than driving!

Gaz

Reactions: Parky and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Got one of those face thingies - certainly arrived quickly. Will be using it tomorrow, I think.

Stephen Thompson

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2018
New York City
Wow. I've never realised that cycling in weather like now could be so satisfying. Lately I thought about it like just another day of cycling, no big deal. But reading you, how you passionately describing this, and reading this article made me think about it in different way. Thank you for sharing, this is so great. I'll try to focus more on little things next time I ride my bike to work.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Riding in snow is cool as long as its not icy underneath.
I'd like the opportunity! The nearest real snow was probably towards the Preselis. The police had to start booking (or threatening to do so) as so many people drove up there and were blocking the road. But down here, snow is pretty rare.

Two or three lots of heavy hail here today - that's something I will duck out of, if I can.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Today I completed my last commute needed to make it a full three months of cycling to work. (Only one day "off" which was due to the ice and snow, I certainly couldn't have driven in either!)

Managed to get wet on the way in - it was dry as I left but the heavens opened within seconds! Put on waterproofs for the return as it was pouring - and not a drop fell after I got on my bike. Heigh-ho.

But the important points:
I enjoy it still;
I can put far more effort in and see the results in being in higher gears, lower assist, and high speeds;
It is faster than driving;
I feel better for it.