Weird things my bike is doing

Liamy

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2024
so need some help, I bought a Pendleton in 2019 the covid years, but never used it, decided to now cycle to work, and this bike is driving me a bit mad.

so bought a new battery from Halfords as the last one was dead - which I completely understand.

now the bike is really rattling when I’m cycling, is this normal ?

When I’m cycling, and I reach a certain speed it actually feels like there is a brake being applied - and I can’t go any faster and peddling becomes realll tough.

I also can’t put the gear on higher because it feels so tough to pedal - it’s rather the strength in my legs is weak or the bike is just naff

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
now the bike is really rattling when I’m cycling, is this normal ?
No, rattling isn't normal. If you're incapable of adjusting, fettling, or servicing your bike yourself, you'd be best to take it to a local bike shop to make sure everything is tight, working properly and as smoothly as it should.
When I’m cycling, and I reach a certain speed it actually feels like there is a brake being applied - and I can’t go any faster and peddling becomes realll tough.

I also can’t put the gear on higher because it feels so tough to pedal - it’s rather the strength in my legs is weak or the bike is just naff
Once you reach 15.5mph the electric motor assistance stops (by law) and you're on your own... and you're peddling a bicycle that's a bit heavier than a normal non-electric bike, so yes, it will feel like cycling through treacle. That IS normal. Many electric bikes feather that assistance out so it's less noticeable; the Pendleton and many other lower-cost e-bikes tend to stop the assistance more abruptly, so it's probably more noticeable.

Reactions: Liamy

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I though hub motors offered considerably less resistance when the cut off speed was reached, compared to mid drive.

On MD it makes it harder to pedal yes, but not so much that you are unable to change gear. So could there be something else going on.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi @Liamy rattling isnt right although all bikes of an age have the odd rattle now and again, things shake and get knocked loose..

Do your best to check on whats rattling, mud guards and reflectors are common culprits as are rack springs
a run round with some 3 in 1 oil and a screwdriver ensuring everything is snug and tight is a good idea anyway after the bikes been stood. And give the spokes a tug to ensure all are tight.

If possible lift the rear wheel and drop it an inch or 2 and see what if anything rattles, try the same at the front.

UP turning the bike to pedal the back wheel round and ensure its not rubbing and that it spins freely would indicate its ok, but if it slows within a few rotations and halts abruptly then check the brakes are not rubbing/binding and the wheel is straight in the frame ..
( a cushion or bubblewrap laid down under the handlebars and twisting the display etc back befor upturning helps keep the handlebar gear in good nick)

AS for the motor abruptly cutting off at the set speed caps for each pas level, er yeah thats kinda how it works.. tbh it took me a couple of weeks to 'acclimatise' But i had hopped on with m/cycle tainted expectations..
Each pas level has its own speed cap and if your in top gear and pas level 3 cuts out yeah it might be a bit hard to keep that momentum going..
It took me at least 2 weeks to remember to change down for the lights (and subsequent pull away) at the top of one slope, as pre conversion i had never approached it with any speed..

It wont take long tho and it will be instinctive to you to know the highest gear you want to be pedalling in in any given pas level considering the cut off. ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

The number of times we've had that on this forum over the years. It's an illusion. You're just noticing the difference between having power from the motor and not having it.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
When you reach the cutoff speed it can feel like someone is suddenly holding you back. Iirc the controller on the Pendleton is fairly basic, it has a speed control system which stops giving power at the set level, and it does it suddenly, there is no sublety here.
It's like you're riding a tandem with Gerraint Thomas as stoker, then suddenly he stops pedalling.
Try this. Cycle a piece of road, perhaps one with a gentle up slope. First off do it on, lets say setting 2, but don't push on the pedals, just rotate them.
Then go back and cycle the road again, but this time with the power turned off.
The first will be the motor doing all the work. The second will be just you. I think you'll be surprised.

Reactions: Bikes4two