Using the motor as an anti theft device.

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
Just one of those stray thoughts that pop into my head occasionally.

Has anyone ever thought of using the motor on an ebike as an antitheft device?

I was thinking - if you had a simple way to engage the motor (or disengage the freewheel?) when you left the bike, any casual 'nick it to ride home' thief would get about 2 feet before abandoning the bike. Would make it difficult to sell as well.

Can't be that difficult to add some kind of pin/key combination to the motor. I'm thinking of something like a window lock.

Carry on . . .

[edit] needless to say, you've taken away or disabled the battery when you left the bike.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Already available using the popular Speedict device (bluetooth control via an Android phone), though could still be wheeled off or the same thing achieved as you say by removing the battery.

[video=youtube;AQNVjrWkP3I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNVjrWkP3I[/video]

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Direct drive motors can already do this - and it's normally a function of the controller.

When engaged the wheel cannot be turned (basically goes into heavy regen mode).

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
That sounds like a better option amigafan.

Regards

Jerry

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
Direct drive motors can already do this - and it's normally a function of the controller.

When engaged the wheel cannot be turned (basically goes into heavy regen mode).
Yup, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Can all motors do this? It seems like a useful free way to have some extra security.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yup, that's pretty much what I was thinking.

Can all motors do this? It seems like a useful free way to have some extra security.
Only direct drive motors. Ones with a freewheel, for obvious reasons, can't do it (or regen).

@jerry - you're Lyen controller has the option - check in the xpd software. You won't be using it with a Tongxin though :)

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
As I found totally by accident; if you're riding along before you've finished installing the battery (ie, unpowered) and the phase wires touch each other, what you have is an electric brake in effect.
That is, the motor is trying to be a generator and putting one hellish load on the back wheel, such that it damn near can't be ridden.

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
@jerry - you're Lyen controller has the option - check in the xpd software. You won't be using it with a Tongxin though :)
Thanks though none of my bikes get parked up anyway. They all come with me folded up :)

Regards

Jerry

D

Deleted member 4366

You're lucky it was a rear motor. If you have a direct drive front motor and the phase wires touch, you go over the handlebars.

sdrio

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2012
You're lucky it was a rear motor. If you have a direct drive front motor and the phase wires touch, you go over the handlebars.
Heaven forbid a bike thief lands on his nose.

*whistles innocently*

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
As I found totally by accident; if you're riding along before you've finished installing the battery (ie, unpowered) and the phase wires touch each other, what you have is an electric brake in effect.
That is, the motor is trying to be a generator and putting one hellish load on the back wheel, such that it damn near can't be ridden.
Ive done that to check the phase windings :eek:( I suppose some of you will want to stone me now). But thats how Telma vehicle retarders work