UK use of throttle

stebur1965

Just Joined
Aug 25, 2024
Is it illegal just to USE a throttle (actually probably just a switch) on the roads, or is it illegal even to HAVE a throttle on your bike, even if you only use the throttle off road?
Thanks - this will help my buying decision.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Having it is the same in law as using it.

There are situations that having it/using it is legal both on and off road. For example, Wisper arrange certification on some of their bikes, and you can arrange certification yourself. I'm not sure of the details, though.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There is nothing to say that you can or can't have a throttle fitted to a bike; however, your bike must comply with the rule that power stops when you stop pedalling. In other words any device or system that causes your motor to give power when you're not pedalling is not allowed. You can use a throttle or anything else to regulate the speed or power when pedalling.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To reiterate the above .
No it isn't illegal to have a throttle , it must though be a certified throttle by DVLA via test center so a test certificate/V5 is needed ( This is a once in a lifetime certificate) Or it must only operate if one pedals first.

One isn't allowed a twist & go or thumb throttle that is stand alone or a switch , that means any throttle must ceases once one has stopped pedalling.
Currently afaik Wisper is the only EAPC/250W manufacturer that offer the legal throttle route via a test center.

Many though of course do use a throttle that doesn't conform to law so this makes the bike in law a moped as does the illegal motor wattage , typically one will see the deliveroo's and other fast food riders using them ilegally but as they don't bother with complying with road laws like traffic lights, etc,etc then why should an illegal moped bother them.

Aside from all of the above don't expect plod to know the law as at the moment I doubt they do.