Thumb throttle mid drive

silver50

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2019
Hi folks
I posted some time ago keen to build my own bike. I somehow haven’t gone on to do it so I’m thinking of buying one now instead. I go cycling around the city (Edinburgh, quite hilly) and on cycle paths for leisure and some exercise

I may get a bit less excercise but think I would go further and enjoy some assistance.

One thing I would really like is to have a thumb throttle, really to be able to coast with a bit assistance at times without pedalling.

Am I right this isn’t really an option on most mid drive bikes? (I’ve tried to search but haven’t turned up much). I thought some bikes for other markets would maybe have the feature.

I would spend up to about £1700 on a hybrid type bike. Would like sit up and beg comfy ride position

Thanks for any input

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Mostly true for off the peg bikes with a Bosch or yahamha drive

Mostly not true for mid drive conversions such as the bafang bbs series

silver50

Mar 9, 2019
Yes, sorry I was meaning any off the peg bikes.

Obviously most these days off the peg are mid’s, but should I still be looking at any off the peg rear drives?

Having taken too much time mulling over building myself I have leant towards bafang bbs’s. I’ve got quite a lot on now this year and just don’t see myself getting round to it though.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

IwanEllis

Nov 14, 2019
The new 2020 Wisper Wayfarer will have a thumb throttle mid motor. But the price will be around £2,200.
Is this still the case? I was looking at an adventure spec with rear hub and mid size battery? Like the throttle as an option. Big birthday coming up and a 1.8k budget!