Throttle sticking

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011

Hi All

I have a second hand Ezee Torq (wired in parallel with two batteries (that I have done from the help from this website) I think it is a mark 2 or trekking model?) Lately the throttle has been sticking mostly at the top end and I quite like it because it’s like cruise control, I wish I had it so have ignored it until now.

Anyway now when I come to a stop when it is in throttle only mode rather than assist I find that when I stop the motor still runs and I have to switch to peddle assist to stop it or turn the power off otherwise I am wheel spinning the front wheel.. It only happens intermittently. Do you think it’s the throttle? Can you clean any contacts etc a bit WD40? Just thought I would ask before I have a Butchers at it. When I have a Butchers at things it’s normally tearing everything apart and start from scratch. Before I do that is it a common problem?

C

Cyclezee

Hi Donkeydoo,

First thing, does the red LED on the controller stay on constant or does it flash? If it flashes, how many flashes do you get?

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Hi John

There is no flashing on the controller. As soon as you switch to use the throttle only mode the front wheel starts . Thing is its only when you start in the morning or in the evening coming home during the trip etc then it doesn't do it. Had a look at the trottle today and I cannot see a way to take it apart. Sprayed it with some switch cleaner through the gaps that seems to have solved the problem for now. It is still sticking on full trottle though. Is there a way to take the trottle apart and is there a hall sensor there or is the trottle on its way out?

Cheers

Kev

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It does have a Hall sensor, but that will not move at all. It's possible that one of the magnets is adrift and moving about at times. With the throttle disconnected and slid from the handlebars, look inside the tube and you'll see there are four plastic claws that latch onto a ridge and lock the two halves together. You need to release those but it is tricky, patience being the best tool for the job.

Once you achieve getting it apart you'll see all the components, two magnets and a coil spring, plus the tiny Hall sensor buried to one side.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Kev,

If you are happy to give Flecc's repair a go, then why not, but if this doesn't do the trick we can supply you with a new throttle;)

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Cheers Flecc

Got the the week off so going to have a look (weather don't look good). Couldn't get the trottle right off before because of the previous wiring. If i do achieve getting the little sucker apart then what can I do? replace hall sensor? a bit of switch cleaner or is a wasted journey? you say about magnets if they are adrift what do i do then? The guy i bought it from said it had a new trottle about a year ago. Might suss it out after i get it apart but there is no substitute for experience so thats why i am asking.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's working at times it's very unlikely to be the Hall sensor, more lilely a magnet displaced which you'll be able to stick back if so. Incidentally, to release the claws you need to get at them from the outer end, so either remove the grip rubber or cut the end cap off it to do that.

A tip to remove the grip rubber while the twistgrip is still on the bike is to use a long thin screwdriver. Insert it into the end hole, then force the blade in between the rubber and throttle tube and run a little water in there. Then wind the screwdriver round so it travels around the grip. This will release the rubber so it can be removed without damaging it.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi donkeydoo

I think spare parts are a problem so I am going to set up a new Idea on the forum

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY PARTS I will send you out a throttle ( you need to send me a photo off the connector so i can copy ) If It cures the problem Send me £15 Buy paypal or we take cards

If you don't need it You post it to the next person Free

Please send Photos and Address And contact details to frank@xipi.co.uk

If other forum members need parts or diagnostics Please drop me a mail

Frank

Last edited:

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Hi donkeydoo

I think spare parts are a problem so I am going to set up a new Idea on the forum

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY PARTS I will send you out a throttle ( you need to send me a photo off the connector so i can copy ) If It cures the problem Send me £15 Buy paypal or we take cards

If you don't need it You post it to the next person Free

Please send Photos and Address And contact details to frank@xipi.co.uk

If other forum members need parts or diagnostics Please drop me a mail

Frank
I like the idea Frank. Great thinking outside the box. Think I will call you Frank Dyson if it catches on (and take 10% of all royalties as I was first in the chain LOL ) . Gonna give the bike a go next week with my bodge job then I will be in contact. All the same "Great thinking outside the box" and worth thinking about everyone.

Cheers

Kev