Help! Thoughts around the battery.....

ean_p

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 9, 2021
So we have an issue with the 03 code appearing on the controller display which will clear by turning on and off but will re appear again either sooner or later.....
Thinking that it would be issues with the diodes in the motor assembly I decided to check everything else before stripping the motor.
So I put the bike in a repair stand and connected a thumb control for ease. The bike worked flawlessly for sometime even with a brake slightly applied to mimic a #load# on the motor. Thinking that the issue may be a bad cable connection and or a cable break that is disrupted while the bike is jostled around while travelling, I commenced jostling all the cables and associated plugs etc but to no avail as I couldn't make the system fail. At that point I jostled the battery around in its mount over the the back wheel and sure enough the bike failed on a 03 error. So I repeated the process a few times and sure enough it kept failing..... so I then thought it may have been an intermittent "break" in the plug socket pin connections as it seemed associated with sliding the battery in and out of location, so I checked them and sprung one pin over to improve the positive connection between the pins but the fault still appeared. In fact the fault appeared at one point and then refused to clear regardless of jostling. So thinking the issue may reside within the battery box I have opened it up but can see nothing that would give issues other than possibly the charge control and monitoring pcbs.
So the question is ....is there anything that could generate a03 error in or around the battery box or am I barking up the wrong tree.....?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So we have an issue with the 03 code appearing on the controller display which will clear by turning on and off but will re appear again either sooner or later.....
Thinking that it would be issues with the diodes in the motor assembly I decided to check everything else before stripping the motor.
So I put the bike in a repair stand and connected a thumb control for ease. The bike worked flawlessly for sometime even with a brake slightly applied to mimic a #load# on the motor. Thinking that the issue may be a bad cable connection and or a cable break that is disrupted while the bike is jostled around while travelling, I commenced jostling all the cables and associated plugs etc but to no avail as I couldn't make the system fail. At that point I jostled the battery around in its mount over the the back wheel and sure enough the bike failed on a 03 error. So I repeated the process a few times and sure enough it kept failing..... so I then thought it may have been an intermittent "break" in the plug socket pin connections as it seemed associated with sliding the battery in and out of location, so I checked them and sprung one pin over to improve the positive connection between the pins but the fault still appeared. In fact the fault appeared at one point and then refused to clear regardless of jostling. So thinking the issue may reside within the battery box I have opened it up but can see nothing that would give issues other than possibly the charge control and monitoring pcbs.
So the question is ....is there anything that could generate a03 error in or around the battery box or am I barking up the wrong tree.....?
There is nothing in the battery that would give an error code. It might be an idea to tell us what stuff you have so that we can identify what error 03 means.

Regardless of that, assuming that your controller sits in the compartment at the front of your battery, that's the place I'd be looking for a connection issue.

Reactions: ean_p

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need pics and an idea of the control system used.

03 error differs depending on the system, it can be phase, hall , PAS or even brake. Telling us 03 on it's own doesn't help much.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Please don't start every sentence with "So" and please split into sentences.
Are you for real? Really? FFS..... Lighten up or stop drinking strong coffee.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the display is a KT-LCD3 and the controller is.......

View attachment 58292
LSW is Lishui, KT LCD don't work with Lishui controllers.
You'll get a communication protocol error after a couple of seconds after switching it on.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Finding a Lishui LSWcompatible duisplay isn't that simple as often they still need pairing with controller via firmware etc.
Your best option is to replace the LSW controller with a KT one then it will 99.9% work, buy a controller from the same buyer where you bought the display.

Advertisers