Thinking about an electric bike in the Derbyshire Dales

dirtmother

Just Joined
Nov 11, 2012
Hello, I have joined the forum as there is some possibility of an electric bicycle for my upcoming half century. I need to work out whether the considerable expense would be well used in my circumstances and will no doubt be posting too in the Which bike section.

I seem to be improving from a very long (30 year) illness and really want to build my fitness, but the paradox is that this means removal of financial support before I am actually in a position to earn an income so this would be a big expense for the family and I really don't want to make mistakes (well, who does? But we wouldn't be able to keep throwing money at a problem).

Some questions I have:

how do others find going out with family and friends on unassisted bikes. (We hired a pedelec and two normal bikes and it wasn't too sociable as they were getting off for the hills) The initial motivation for a pedelec was to enable me to join in with them on some of the wonderful trails we have round the Peak District - although having tried one I can see me perhaps using it for more than leisure to save on some car use.

bike transport - we are struggling with this as it is and would welcome observations about what works, especially with pedelecs.

dogs - if I can't take our springer out with us I'd still have her to walk which would limit my cycling or risk her not getting out. Has anyone got experience using lead attachments and buggies (since she shouldn't run as far as we'd ride) with pedelecs?

ex-hire bicycles - obviously the make and model are relevant but we have access to (Giant) ex hire bikes and wonder if anyone has any experience to share of the advantages and disadvantages of buying ex hire.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Sorry can't help with the dog problem. Our last hound was a rescue greyhound - far too lazy to exercise more than 500 yards!
The slow speed business needn't be a problem if you have a bike fitted with a throttle - you can walk alongside it with the throttle slightly open so the bike still does all the work.
Hope your condition continues to improve.
Tom