The Easiest DIY Electric Bike Kit I've Ever Used! (Rubbee X)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wish my battery was modular... one could swap out and replace a failing module, in a few years.

Does it work without the app? I like the design of this kit, but I do worry about smartphone apps - how long will it's app be updated and supported? 5 years? 10?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
......... I do worry about smartphone apps - how long will it's app be updated and supported? 5 years? 10?
A good question but if you bought the kit today and today's version of the app worked fine, then don't update the app (you can turn off automatic updates so not a problem) unless you know the update will work with the kit.

Then of course if you upgrade your smartphone, then the 'old' app you've keep in its old state, might not work with the new phone!

Heck, you're right to be worried :cool:

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A good question but if you bought the kit today and today's version of the app worked fine, then don't update the app (you can turn off automatic updates so not a problem) unless you know the update will work with the kit.

Then of course if you upgrade your smartphone, then the 'old' app you've keep in its old state, might not work with the new phone!

Heck, you're right to be worried :cool:

Apps are why I've never bought a Xiaomi ebike... my experience with one of their security cameras was enough - bricked - after an update it insisted on. The camera became inactive, the app said it needed an update, then bricked once it had updated lol. No way to roll back either. Xiaomi me the exit!

Is there a way to drag out the old app as an APK from the old phone, to sideload onto the new (or different) phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two
D

Deleted member 16246

Hmmm - friction drive? It might work ok in dry California, not so sure about the North Pennines. Wet weather, muddy tyres and steep hills? Not so sure.

The design looks slick though. If you live in a flat, dry place and mostly ride on dry roads, it might work for you. Certainly a doddle to fit - especially with the wireless PAS.