The E Solex

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did know of it, it's the new electric derivation of the petrol Velosolex which was very popular in France from 1946 onwards and many sold elsewhere including Britain. It was finally discontinued around 1983 I think after Yamaha bought the design. The Velosolex, rather than being the usual add-on petrol motor for normal bikes was designed from the bottom up as a whole machine.

The French are obviously hoping to repeat the success of the old petrol version which sold 8 million around the world, but I very much doubt that will happen. We live in a different world now where people can afford the cars they couldn't in those earlier decades. Here's the old front petrol motor Velosolex:

Last edited:

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
I did know of it, it's the new electric derivation of the petrol Velosolex which was very popular in France from 1946 onwards and many sold elsewhere including Britain. It was finally discontinued around 1983 I think after Yamaha bought the design. The Velosolex, rather than being the usual add-on petrol motor for normal bikes was designed from the bottom up as a whole machine.

The French are obviously hoping to repeat the success of the old petrol version which sold 8 million around the world, but I very much doubt that will happen. We live in a different world now where people can afford the cars they couldn't in those earlier decades. Here's the old front petrol motor Velosolex:

I owned one of these. still remember the number plate GUR 33G. Used to ride it across London to college. I thought it was cool but actually it was awful:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I owned one of these. still remember the number plate GUR 33G. Used to ride it across London to college. I thought it was cool but actually it was awful:eek:
They certainly were! I used to service these thing in the 1950s, and later in the 1960s my father unwisely impulse bought one for his commute which included a long hill. He paid for that decision in sweat over the next six years!

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I did an exchange visit to France in the early 60s, and got to use one of the several VeloSolexes owned by the family I was staying with. At the time, I had passed neither my car nor motorbike test, so thought it was the bees knees to go swanning around the (admittedly fairly flat) French countryside without having to pedal.