The crapcycle is dead, long live the crapcycle

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I've disassembled my faithful crapcycle and stolen parts for crapcycle mk II. I was going to do a rear hub conversion but would need a hefty, high torque motor and decided to just use my existing tsdz2 mid-drive to save some pennies.

PXL_20240722_182817717.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Still needs a bit of work but went for a test cycle. Currently fitted with 34t and 42t dual chainrings but have not sorted out front derailleur. I think I can easily get this to work with a cheapo Tourney front derailleur and eccentric collar from the crapcycle mk I along with a clamp on cable stop so can work top pull. However, I don't think it is necessary, will stick with single 34t. The 34t front and 11t to 34t cassette easily get me up my killer hill and I can peddle at a leisurely 60 rpm and reach the motor cut-off speed. The bike is too heavy and obese to cycle over 20mph which I can achieve at 80rpm which is a more natural cadence for me anyway.

Anti-rotation bracket did not fit but have a plan with a stainless jubilee clip and 3d printed spacer. Cable guide removed and a short piece of cable outer between the BB shell and motor works perfectly.

One of my complaints about stock firmware was rapid fade of assist over 75 rpm but notice it less on this lumbering bike. Motor appears quieter, or the tire noise is much louder... Overall, it's fine to ride but feels slow. The tires are overkill and the suspension forks are little more than dead weight.

Q factor is obviously as horrific as ever of course.

The crapcycle mk I had been reserected, it now has a regular BB and crankset and stupidly low gearing given it's 26" wheels and skinny tires. I can cycle that up my killer hill easily and it's a good pub bike I'm happy to leave locked up at night in town. Despite being old, it is quite a light bike.

My main transport now though is this:

PXL_20240719_195259060.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

At 10kg it's fast and a pleasure to ride. It's hard work up my hill but I'm enjoying the challenge and averaged out it is faster than the electric bike. The rim brakes are more than sufficient on this bike and I'd never consider converting it to electric.

I think the electric bike will be used less, when the weather is poor and when I have more stuff to lug about (like my trailer full of caving kit).

Reactions: flecc

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Why crapcycles? I have seen far worse bikes.
The mk I crapcycle was definitely a bit naff looking and very beat up. It actually worked quite well but was not in the slightest bit appealing for theft.

The mk II looks a bit smarter but is still a bit frankenstein. It is hardly a lightweight.

The Trek is actually really nice. Not a crapcycle at all. It's super comfortable even with skiny tires, it's a pleasure to ride. It's 3x9 with a 22t granny and an 11t to 28t at the back so the gear spacing on the cassette isn't too wide but still has a nice low gear. I need to get a bit fitter but I can cycle it up my 16% hill without getting out of the saddle. And with a 46t to 11t I can get it moving quite fast...if my legs were a bit stronger...Ultimately it's good to have different bikes for different outings! In general, keen to cycle analogue a bit more often - but only on a nice light bike. Cycling the Cannondale before I put a motor on it was a misery, just felt like unnecessarily hard graft. I know 3x is old skool but for a hilly area it works well and using cheap consumables.

Last edited: