The bridge of doom

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
Going up the ramp is on the "wrong" side for me, so had to bump up the steps, getting down more terrifying trying to hang on whilst judiciously applying the brakes intermittently. Still, we survived, another 8 miler and h58773

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Going down I'd be standing on the pedals, gripping the saddle between my legs and giving thanks for my air forks.

Going up I'd be grumbling.

Reactions: Middlewife

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Middlewife

warlord0

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2024
Midlands
Going up the ramp is on the "wrong" side for me, so had to bump up the steps, getting down more terrifying trying to hang on whilst judiciously applying the brakes intermittently. Still, we survived, another 8 miler and h
I have one canal bridge I have to go over. Not huge bumps, just raised bricks, but I won't cycle over it after the first time I tried. Getting up wasn't so bad, but coming down the other side was a white-knuckle ride, trying not to go over the bars. Always walk it over now.

Middlewife

Pedelecer
May 28, 2024
I have one canal bridge I have to go over. Not huge bumps, just raised bricks, but I won't cycle over it after the first time I tried. Getting up wasn't so bad, but coming down the other side was a white-knuckle ride, trying not to go over the bars. Always walk it over now.
I didn't even try to ride down it, just hanging onto it was bad enough. However, the more terrifying alternative would have been riding through the centre of Reading in the rush hou!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I didn't even try to ride down it, just hanging onto it was bad enough. However, the more terrifying alternative would have been riding through the centre of Reading in the rush hou!
I assumed you rode your bike up. I can hop the front wheel up onto the pavement, then pedal assist powers the bike over - I suppose I could do one step at a time like that, pedalling up slowly... if I didn't lose balance, fall off and tumble all the way down like Buster Keaton.

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Easter 1990 i set off down the pilgrim way to Canterbury from RedHill,

A few days in I was ridding through a field of rape when the footpath was signed up a bank 20-30m high which had not been cleared/used much, so i made it up with the rucksack after a bit of a battle through the brambles and went back for the bike which was a pita over the couple of styles on the path up..

However at the top was a lovely smooth tarmac slope winding off into the distance But just as i started to enjoy the breeze in my face as i rolled down the slope i was greeted with another footpath sign pointing me down a freshly cut badly spaced set of steps way worse than those in OP's post ;) I had simply circled one field hrmph!!