The Anything Thread that is Never off subject.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The e-car market makes no sense and the reason for that is the extremes of demand.

When demand for new ones started to sharply rise from the start of 2018, the inability of the manufacturers to supply increasingly led to over a year waiting lists and ridiculously high prices for used very recent examples to meet the demand. By 2021 my early 2018 but current model that cost me £26,000 was getting offers of over £21,000 at three years old from WeBuyAnyCar and the like. This was insane given the battery had three years of use and it wasn't known with certainty then if it would reliably exceed 5 years.

But then the market sharply swung against, partly due to increasing news of e-car fires, partly due to the many complaints of inadequate range as people had rushed to buy without researching true year round range. So at four years old the offers had slumped to £10,000, over halved in one year.

That is why the prices at both ends started colliding as you've found. The problem now is that as the new car demand has dropped leaving makers with overstock, the demand for well used ones has risen sharply as so many low mileage users have realised that they can afford an e-car and that their batteries are proving to be very long lived for low range use.

That new low end market consists of the increasing numbers of the non-employed, the increasing numbers of retired, housewives for school runs, kids activities, shopping etc, second cars for such duties, and family pool cars as the number of now adult kids continue to live at home due to house prices and a pool car with today's multi driver insurance rates suits them all.

So I've now got a six year old e-car that isn't worth very much but is increasing in value all the time as it gets older.
Indeed, and govt policy/incentives, or haphazard lack of it - without off-street parking evs don't make financial sense now (but will, greatly, five years from now after London's become the Venice of the North and starmer reallocate the defence budget for free public charging)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers