Tax allowance for cycling to work?

Anfield800

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2008
I was told yesterday, as I was showing off the Mistral, again, that the Government are to introduce a tax allowance for anyone cycling to work. The admin guy who told me didn't have any details, but as part of this he was looking at paying quite a lot to convert an old out building into a cycle park.

Has anyone heard of this? I can't find any details on the web.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I was told yesterday, as I was showing off the Mistral, again, that the Government are to introduce a tax allowance for anyone cycling to work. The admin guy who told me didn't have any details, but as part of this he was looking at paying quite a lot to convert an old out building into a cycle park.

Has anyone heard of this? I can't find any details on the web.
Do you mean the cycle to work scheme?

Anfield800

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 28, 2008
No apparently not. It's some form of actual tax allowance but how it would be checked or verified I can't imagine.

My employer won't participate in the cycle to work scheme at present, it's something we're working on.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There was such a scheme announced in a budget of at least 20 years ago I think, but it was hedged round with lots of restrictions. I vaguely remember it being mileage based (home to work distance) and the usage had to be continuous, not taking the car on wet days etc. I think it did come into force, but have heard nothing else since.

Maybe they are reviving it, so it could be worth an inquiry with HMRC.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
It's probably a mileage allowance for use of a bicycle to travel on business. Travel to work wouldn't be covered by that.