Talking of stealing.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
My current bike isn't really worth nicking, but I still use a decent lock to save the inconvenience of walking home. (And in fact the various add-ons which help with my disability are worth more than the bike itself).

But now that I'm moving rapidly towards electric bike ownership the picture changes.

So, any good ideas on security, both for the bike itself and just as importantly for the battery, which doesn't look over-secure on the machines I've seen so far (i.e. a good crowbar would make short work of getting off a part worth several hundred quid)?

I suppose it's tempting to carry an Oxford-type chain around, but the better ones are SO heavy...

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The general recommendation is to dual lock with a D lock and a heavy duty chain or cable lock, and also avoid repeat parking in the same places, on the same days, at the same times.

Others will advise on the locks they recommend.

So far batteries have not proved a problem, the locking on most bikes proving sufficient, only the odd cylindrical clip on type of battery being vulnerable since they aren't locked.

I've been riding bikes all my life and e-bikes for a number of years. Living in London boroughs and only ever single locking I've never had a bike or battery stolen. Since London is a hotspot for bike thefts, I think that illustrates that the risks are perhaps not as great as one might think.

Personally I think that avoiding repeat parking (place,day,time) and choosing the parking location with some thought are the most important aids to security.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Two good locks, maybe one chain and one D lock as thieves need different tools to break, maybe an alarm? handy if within earshot and may put of inquisitive scrotts:rolleyes: and above all else decent insurance:)

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
...and smile

... agree with all the above, (except i don't have the insurance) plus, i always try to park the bike within sight of a CCTV camera, i have a small sticky label on the lock which reads "Smile... you're on camera" if no camera available, i'll lock it near a Police station, Fire station or other 'official' building, or try to lock it where it can be seen by someone seated, then catch their eye & give them a big smile, But as Mr Flecc says, vary the location, location, location.

Last edited:

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Bikeaway

Got one of these at the railway station - I had to wait 18months to get it but now it only costs £30 a year.

Frankly if I didn't I wouldn't dream of leaving 'lecy' all day.

:rolleyes:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the replies, which I will certainly take on board.

Digging around old files, came across this set of "hard tests" on some cycle locks. It's 3 years old, but I think both the makes and the principles are still most valid. (The tests involve taking large crowbars and bolt-cutters etc. to the locks in question, and do NOT rely on the dubious claims of the manufacturers).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1503128/tested locks part 1.pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1503128/tested locks part 2.pdf

I certainly don't want to encourage paranoia (enough of it already) but carrying a big stick (in this case chain) has always seemed sensible.

Allen.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Look, if they want your bike they will take it......All you can hope to do is frustrate and delay them.

there are loads of videos on you tube...these guys don't muck about they attack the locks as if there life depends on it!:rolleyes:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Look, if they want your bike they will take it......All you can hope to do is frustrate and delay them.
Quite agree eddieo. Those tests that I'm pushing tell you, in fact, just how LONG it takes to nick the bike! (And some of the times, down to seconds flat, would be worrying if you were a worrier. I'm not. I'm just talking about taking those precautions to frustrate an delay!)

A

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
All you can hope to do is frustrate and delay them.
A canister of propane in the saddle bag and piping to gas nozzles in the frame and bars is my preferred method. They use this to protect valuable cars in South Africa, apparently.

Video of it in action shows a would-be thief retreating hastily in flames as he is hit with a wall of flame from all around the car.

I suppose some bleeding heart liberal will tell me this is illegal now :D

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I suppose some bleeding heart liberal will tell me this is illegal now :D
We have special dispensation for such things in NW London. Using a mobile in a car is also legal around here, as it is for cyclists for jump red lights, car drivers to take no notice of speed limits, etc.

Good place to live.

A.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I have opted for one of these to protect my new bike as I have no choice about varying where I park, it will be attached to a 4 inch Square Oak post.
I think eddieo's point is valid here, too.

An opportunist thief will look at a lock, however badly rated by Cycling Plus magazine, and walk on by looking for an easier nick.

A professional, similarly undaunted by Cycling Plus magazine's reviews, will park his Transit van near your bike, use an angle grinder, and be away in 2 minutes flat.

Quoting again from those reviews, "Any lock is better than no lock!"

Allen.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
What I want to know is how the f))) he carries that lot home!

A

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Bob that lock looks rubbish.....
But don't be put off, bobo. MOST locks are rubbish. (I really haven't got shares in the damned thing, but DO look at those Cycle Plus reviews I stuck up earlier. MOST expensive locks, and I'm talking £75+ 3 years ago, took well under half a minute to bust, with pretty basic tools).

Their basic test had a five-minute limit; thus, if any lock survived more than 5 minutes, it had passed. Much more than that and you are in the grubby hands of the professionals, against which there is little defence...

A.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
you are in the grubby hands of the professionals, against which there is little defence...
Exactly.

A neighbour of a friend of mine had two or three quite valuable paintings in her flat. On her insurance company's advice she had a Banham steel door and frame fitted. The door was impregnable.

Unfortunately, the wall was not. A van with 3 workmen in their overalls turned up one morning, put dust covers all up the central staircase and set about 'repairing cracks in the wall'. Actually, they removed bricks, went into the flat and left, taking their dust covers and the paintings with them.

The Banham door stood there, secure as ever it was.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
But don't be put off, bobo. MOST locks are rubbish. (I really haven't got shares in the damned thing, but DO look at those Cycle Plus reviews I stuck up earlier. MOST expensive locks, and I'm talking £75+ 3 years ago, took well under half a minute to bust, with pretty basic tools).

Their basic test had a five-minute limit; thus, if any lock survived more than 5 minutes, it had passed. Much more than that and you are in the grubby hands of the professionals, against which there is little defence...

A.
Whatever......We know that already;) but not all thieves are pro's

most bike thieves are either kids, opportunists, and have basic tools. Your attitude is daft which is fine by me, as they will ignore my reasonably secure bike and probably nick yours and bo bo's:)

incidentally Bo Bo was my daughters nick name when a baby:) there are just not enough choice of emotions on here! lol

Last edited:

whybobowhy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2010
Actually sawing through a 4x4 Oak post is not 2 minutes work without a chainsaw. My bike is parked out of line if sight but within easy earshot which is why I have gone for an alarmed lock as well as a fairly normal lock. The alarm goes off if the lock is moved and I can be there in 30 secs.