Taking the bike out for the week-end...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great stuff, love the streamlined fairing at the front. Don't suppose it does much at 10 mph though!

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Hi Flecc,

thought that would appeal,

i wonder what speed this double recumbent can do without the trailer ?

did you see the big trailers in this series ? i reckon the one with all the pods must be 30' long ?

beeps

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
How much weight can I carry?

That was very interesting. It was something I was trying to fathom out a few days ago on this Forum.
Into the calculator I entered:
Speed 10 mph (that is where the torq produces some useful power).
My weight 200lbs
Weight of Bike, Trailer, etc 44lbs (a torqs weight)
Grade.........that became the answer since I put in Zero Cargo weight.
Exertion rate..... I guessed 0.2 HP (about 150 watts) I'd feel better with just 0.1 HP (75 watts)
I could not get above 2% grade anything steeper was not possible.

Try it!
(Actually I can get up about 5% with the Torq for about 300 metres, possibly 6.5%).
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
How much weight can a bike and trailer carry?

That was very interesting. It was something I was trying to fathom out a few days ago on this Forum.
Into the calculator I entered:
Speed 10 mph (that is where the torq produces some useful power).
My weight 200lbs
Weight of Bike, Trailer, etc 44lbs (a torqs weight)
Grade.........that became the answer since I put in Zero Cargo weight.
Exertion rate..... I guessed 0.2 HP (about 150 watts) I'd feel better with just 0.1 HP (75 watts)
I could not get above 2% grade anything steeper was not possible.

Try it!
(Actually I can get up about 5% with the Torq for about 300 metres, possibly 6.5%).
Peter
I made a complete 'mess' of understanding what the calculator was driving at. Of course, it's Human Power only. One could use it for motor power: just use the final answer of weight that can be carried - when it comes up positive (just), one has reached the limitation of grade/speed.
Unfortunately the maximum power that can be entered is 0.4 HP (which is about 300 watts.
On that amount of power, irrespective of where it comes from, I can just succeed on a 4% gradient.
I wonder how that would improve with the Torq's maximum power plus a little contribution from the rider (say 0.1 Hp or 75 watts)?
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Pelican trouble

The other problem is braking of course, not brake power but the bike weight to load weight relationship. It's dead easy to have the trailer run over the bike through going too far in weight towing downhill.
once had a very 'interesting' experience with a Pelican trailer coming down a steep hill in Colchester, both brakes full on and both feet firmly planted in the road just about did the trick. The trailer weighed 250lbs+ the bike weighed 22lbs, i weighed 160lbs, incline about 11% ... big laundry bill

beeps

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
:D I came close one day, but hopped off and watched the crash. Much less painful that way, entertaining too. :)

Also terrified some car drivers one day, took a corner too fast with the trailer empty, it took to one wheel, detached the ball joint coupling and went it's own way across the main road. :( Solo riders don't know what they're missing.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Pelican episodes

:D Also terrified some car drivers one day, took a corner too fast with the trailer empty, it took to one wheel, detached the ball joint coupling and went it's own way across the main road. :( Solo riders don't know what they're missing.
Yes, i have fond memories of 'gritting' a fairly substantial mini roundabout, whilst attempting to dispose of 300Lbs of 'previously-enjoyed' cat litter at the local dump, exactly the same thing, i hit a sunken drain with the near side wheel, trailer came suddenly to life, dis-engaged from the cycle and careened off into the traffic, discharging its' fragrant cargo, i still see that in slow motion.

i still have the Pelican, trailers can make colourful if slightly contrary companions,