Swytch,...... what can I say

1fifer1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 14, 2023
HI has anyone manged to overcome buying a controller separately without the added cost of a battery too (pro kit)? In the last year (over a year) of owning a swytch kit I have had one thing after another fail which they replaced after a vey long and drawn out procedure but now its out of guarantee they say the cant supply old stock separately only as a whole power unit, hard to grasp as they are plug an play, can any one point me in the right direction where I can get a controller?
many thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
HI has anyone manged to overcome buying a controller separately without the added cost of a battery too (pro kit)? In the last year (over a year) of owning a swytch kit I have had one thing after another fail which they replaced after a vey long and drawn out procedure but now its out of guarantee they say the cant supply old stock separately only as a whole power unit, hard to grasp as they are plug an play, can any one point me in the right direction where I can get a controller?
many thanks
What's wrong with your controller?

1fifer1

Aug 14, 2023
HI well it half works, it will go to full power hold there for a few seconds and then drops off by half, loss of speed and power, so fed up trying with swytch, don't know if it's lucky or not but I have two kits so I can switch power packs, if I do the motor runs fine, thanks for your prompt reply

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
HI well it half works, it will go to full power hold there for a few seconds and then drops off by half, loss of speed and power, so fed up trying with swytch, don't know if it's lucky or not but I have two kits so I can switch power packs, if I do the motor runs fine, thanks for your prompt reply
The Swytch bag connector system isn't very reliable. I'd get a normal controller and use normal wires. All controllers work the same. You can buy suitable controllers with LCDs from about £40. When the battery goes, I'd get rid of the bag too and fit a downtube battery. The only thingfrom the original kit worth keeping is the motor. if you replace all the other stuff, you can have a system tailored to your needs.

1fifer1

Aug 14, 2023
well it is just over a year old and I would like to get some use out of the £600 spent, I would say it is the controller, as I've said I have the luxury of being able to swap things over to check for faults, no daut I will end up going your way so if you could recommend what to buy I'd be very grateful
thanks again

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
well it is just over a year old and I would like to get some use out of the £600 spent, I would say it is the controller, as I've said I have the luxury of being able to swap things over to check for faults, no daut I will end up going your way so if you could recommend what to buy I'd be very grateful
thanks again
Perhaps I have just been 'lucky'? Firstly in buying a Mk 1 kit which was relatively easy to get into and adapt. Secondly in getting a seemingly reliable controller with Hall bypass lead under warranty when the first one failed. Battery also failed but that was partly due to a lack of understanding (and appropriate warning) about charging routine. I currently like the setup I've got on an old touring bike which I use for local rides and shopping. Some aspects of my mods might be applicable to a Mk2 etc - you can check out my previous posts. As Saneagle indicates the hub motor is good - quiet and efficient. Peter

PS On the Swytch Mk1 version, controller and display was similar (identical?) with similar era Juicy bike.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We see issues with bespoke type kits (mainly controllers but sometimes batteries ) which fetch/ have expensive price tags on them , most have tiny little batteries though they are great for lightweight often fall short of what the user needs.

For kits and bits you will see a reocurring theme on the forum , save the money and spend it on a good woosh kit with a proper size battery or go down the diy route and buy a proper controller system from KT , add a decent motor and a battery and one will have a faultless controller kit for many years of riding (if fitted correctly) .
The latter route will end up costing nearly as much as Woosh kit at times but I prefer the KT system over the Lishui one.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have the black bag Swytch conversion for a Brompton.

The motor wheel from that kit works just fine with a standard KT controller and LCD4 display I have on my DIY converted Brompton.

The connectors on in the black bag are not the same size (smaller) than the Julet style connectors on a standard KT controller and 1-4 cables.

1fifer1

Aug 14, 2023
Thanks for your replies everyone, at the moment I think the route to take is Woosh, seems the most simple by far, question is do they sell the components separately if they fail and are they good to deal with ? wouldn't want to be in the same boat as I'm in at the moment with endless emails and several month long delivery times etc
thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As Tony@Woosh has said they do supply spares to owners but don't sell individual parts to any old person, often a third party will repair the bike if one isn't up to the task.

ms57

Just Joined
Aug 22, 2023
Thanks for your replies everyone, at the moment I think the route to take is Woosh, seems the most simple by far, question is do they sell the components separately if they fail and are they good to deal with ? wouldn't want to be in the same boat as I'm in at the moment with endless emails and several month long delivery times etc
thanks
I had an issue with a new replacement controller fitted to a Mk 2 Swytch kit which made the bike slow down when I increased the power above setting 1 on the top of the bag. Swytch told me to try disconnecting the hall sensor connector inside the bag and the problem disappeared.

PowerMeUp

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2023
many thanks
I’ve had the same issue and drawn a blank. Removed the Swytch kit and fitted Woosh instead. The motor looks identical and the battery is bulkier, but it’s a good kit with a better range and Andy supports his customers!

Reactions: Jodel