Swytch motor varients

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
  • Sometime soon I shall be looking for a used Swytch hub motor, ideally in a 26" wheel.
  • Ebay seems as good a place to look as any - for instance, recently there was one in a 26" wheel but I was unsure of the coding, particulalry the 5XX bit as other wheels I've seen have had 6XX on them.
  • So can anyone tell me the difference in 5XX vs 6XX and any other info that can be gleaned from the long 7-digit number i.e. are the first 4 numbers the year of manufacture?
  • I understand the 100SX comes from the motor brand used, the Aikima 100SX and 36H is the number of spokes, but the 'S'?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have also actually have a Swytch kit motor.

Was out earlier on it getting some chips to have with steak for supper.

I note the hub motor has numbers on it, but as a mere user of the Swytch I have no idea what the numbers mean.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aikema make five or six variants of the 100sx . You are likely correct with the first four digits being the date , after that they are likely simply serial numbers.
The variations have so called varying Nm values so the 5xx/6xx could be a code for the Nm value, might be a factory code if not made in the same factory or could be a code relating to the rpm winding.
The coding afaict doesn't correspond with third party bought AKM 100's and is a specific switch code etching.
The 'S' may just denote it is a switch customer motor for factory batching.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
  • Sometime soon I shall be looking for a used Swytch hub motor, ideally in a 26" wheel.
  • Ebay seems as good a place to look as any - for instance, recently there was one in a 26" wheel but I was unsure of the coding, particulalry the 5XX bit as other wheels I've seen have had 6XX on them.
  • So can anyone tell me the difference in 5XX vs 6XX and any other info that can be gleaned from the long 7-digit number i.e. are the first 4 numbers the year of manufacture?
  • I understand the 100SX comes from the motor brand used, the Aikima 100SX and 36H is the number of spokes, but the 'S'?
  • View attachment 59451
It would be better to buy a new motor with known speed.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
It would be better to buy a new motor with known speed.
Agreed but I'm specifically looking for a front hub motor with a silvered finish (or maybe a satin grey finish but I'll not be painting a black one as some wag on here suggested ). The Swytch motor has a very nice finish but finding another brand seems less than easy.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
PS - a question please @saneagle -
  • assumptions are something I'm not keen on but can it not be assumed that if the Swytch supplied motor in a 26" or 700c wheel that needs to conform to the UK pedelec limit of 25Km/h, will be an appropriate speed?
  • and around 210rpm rather than 328rpm with the latter being the one for something like a brompton or other small wheeled bike?
  • Apologies for all that, but hub motors are an unfolding mystery for me being a TSDZ2 fan etc :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For 26" or 700c the hub winding could be anything from 201- 300rpm.
What you need to find out from other users of switch hubs is can the display speed be changed to more then 15.5mph and if so what is the max load speed.

I would think 260/270rpm would be used for 26" or 700c.