Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Are there many badgers? :eek:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Stunning, my kind of tour, thanks for posting
A ball ache getting there with the ebikes, unless they are folders or disassembled in which case you can take the TGV fast trains from belgium/france to switzerland, otherwise you are on the TER slow train which takes twice as long (9 hrs from Paris)

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I remain unconvinced. Cycling paths around Plymouth are much more beautiful. If they want me to visit Switzerland, they must try much harder than that.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Stunning, my kind of tour, thanks for posting
A ball ache getting there with the ebikes, unless they are folders or disassembled in which case you can take the TGV fast trains from belgium/france to switzerland, otherwise you are on the TER slow train which takes twice as long (9 hrs from Paris)
When I went to Switzerland in 1976 in an old Bedford mini bus with some workmates, it took us about forty hours to get there. It was a stunningly beautiful place. We camped at Kandersteg, which I think is one of the most picturesque places I have ever been. We were walking and climbing all day every day for about a ten day stay. Never forgot it. I'd have been 25 then. One thing that hasn't changed is that everything was vastly expensive coming from the UK. We didn't buy a lot. We couldn't afford much.

Kandersteg - pretty place.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I did a europe eurorail month with my brov in the late 80s. We visited amongst other countries, Swiss cities Bern, Basel and Geneva. I remember 2 halfs of lager was 8 quid which is probably over £25 in today's money. The hotels were silly money for a basic one without breakfast. We had to travel on the trains overnight after that to sleep on the trains to save money. Scenary was stunning especially the alpine regions, told myself then I'd return one day

Reactions: Ghost1951

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Yes when our children were small and we were on holiday in the French Jura mountains, we twice traveled into Switzerland once to Geneva and another time to Nyon. The trips on the way there were as you would expect rural Switzerland to be meadows and cows with bells, wooden chalets. Although much the same in the french region preceding it. What I remember in Nyon were that the shops were shut for mid day and the tables of wares outside were just covered with cloths and no other precautions taken. Expensive yes but we only visited for the day.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Swiss army knives are cheap there. I bought two of the Champs because they were so cheap. I have one on the desk in front of me. It has to be my most used tool ever.

Hills are a bit of a pain in Switzerland. They look nice, but not really what you want for a cycling tour.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hills are a bit of a pain in Switzerland. They look nice, but not really what you want for a cycling tour.
A cycling tour can be as flat or as hilly as you like. As long as you plan your day rides well taking into account elevation and much reduced battery range with the climbing involved. Avoiding massive hills on tours means you miss out on some amazing views, like the ones we got from a Cotswolds tour a couple of weeks ago (Malvern hills below). Just make sure you ride with a decent range battery and a spare. Daily rides of 60-70 miles including big climbs no problem. Make sure you disc pads have plenty of meat on them for the descents !

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A cycling tour can be as flat or as hilly as you like. As long as you plan your day rides well taking into account elevation and much reduced battery range with the climbing involved. Avoiding massive hills on tours means you miss out on some amazing views, like the ones we got from a Cotswolds tour a couple of weeks ago (Malvern hills below). Just make sure you ride with a decent range battery and a spare. Daily rides of 60-70 miles including big climbs no problem. Make sure you disc pads have plenty of meat on them for the descents !

View attachment 59583

View attachment 59584
Cotswolds is not quite the same as Switzerland. It doesn't have Alps. Look at the photos above, then compare them with yours. I can see a bit of a difference.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I think you're missing my point. The Malvern hills are about 400m high, some of the Swiss Alp climbs on cycling tours are upto 1600m high. Either way it doesn't matter as long as you want to do them and plan to have enough battery range. So I might go up the equivalent of 4 lots of Malverns in a day with my two 20ah batteries or one Swiss Mountain.

A cycling tour is whatever you want it to be is my point, it doesn't have to be flat everywhere

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I think you're missing my point. The Malvern hills are about 400m high, some of the Swiss Alp climbs on cycling tours are upto 1600m high. Either way it doesn't matter as long as you want to do them and plan to have enough battery range. So I might go up the equivalent of 4 lots of Malverns in a day with my two 20ah batteries or one Swiss Mountain.

A cycling tour is whatever you want it to be is my point, it doesn't have to be flat everywhere
Try multiplying your 1600m by at least 2. I live in the lowlands of the Austrian Alps (considerably lower than parts of Switzerland), immediately outside my door is a climb from 800 to 1600m, just down the road I can climb to over 2000. If I was to take a short train ride I could be up to close to 3000m and with a bit more effort 3300m. Many of these points could be reached by cable car if you wanted to take the effort away and still have the stunning views.