Help! Swifty ebike

PeteN

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2024
I’ve bought a swifty e-bike as a cheap introduction when my legs got too old for the hills of mid Devon. All fine for three years when the controller failed, all mode lights flashing. With no help from swifty I started looking myself and found a big spark when connecting the battery and my controller fails after about 30 seconds, if I then disconnect and then reconnect the battery immediately then no spark and everything works. I understand discharged capacitors causing the spark but why does it cause the controller to fail? Any ideas or experience of this?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I’ve bought a swifty e-bike as a cheap introduction when my legs got too old for the hills of mid Devon. All fine for three years when the controller failed, all mode lights flashing. With no help from swifty I started looking myself and found a big spark when connecting the battery and my controller fails after about 30 seconds, if I then disconnect and then reconnect the battery immediately then no spark and everything works. I understand discharged capacitors causing the spark but why does it cause the controller to fail? Any ideas or experience of this?
The only thing i can think of is that the inrush current is causing the battery management system (BMS) to shut off power due to going over the allowed current. there's a manual for the control panel here, guessing the one you have because you didn't tell us:

Comms error can have many reasons: motor connector not in properly; short on the 5v; water where it shouldn't oughta; connector issues; etc.

PeteN

Just Joined
Jul 8, 2024
Thanks for the quick response, sounds about right but I’m not sure what I can do about it.
thanks again
Pete

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
First thing, check the connector to the motor. Sometimes they can dislodged. It needs to be in all the way to the line that's marked on the casing of the plug. Hard to see, you'll need a bright light.
Check all connecters, look for any dislodgement or damage.
Check along the cables. Cable ties that are too tight can, over time, bite into cables causing the fine internal wires to fracture.
Check display unit for damage and possible water ingress.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Spark arrest connectors and circuits are a thing from the rc-lipo world ;)
I also have a battery that sparks on connection with no capacity to fit a simple isolation switch (i gave it a fairly good try..)
These spark arrest circuits are on my 'to look up list' sorry i cant offer a full solution just yet..

Advertisers